Complaint Review: Public Storage, Alameda Branch

• Updated: Fri, October 01, 2010

• Reported By: ruggerkio — Oakland California United States of America
Public Storage, Alameda Branch
1829 Webster Street, Alameda, California United States of America

Public Storage, Alameda Branch Manager: Jay Dava Rental neglect, cover-up of suspected internal mass break-ins Alameda, California

I had a unit since early this summer, and I went back last weekend (9/26/10) to retrieve something only to find the Public Storage company lock placed on my unit instead of my own.  I inquired the office about it, they knew nothing, and they proceeded to open the lock, and I found a number of items missing.  They were unable to tell me anything about how that occurred or even to acknowledge that there had been any break-ins.

Then they proceeded to file an incident report wrongly (for a wrong site, but with a correct manager's information), and the manager never called.  I called his direct line again, and absolutely no response.  I called the main Public Storage number explaining all of this, and they admitted that "the manager is supposed to contact the renter if the lock was found to be tampered with, or missing, broken, damaged, or open" and yet at the end, I only got the "we'll email the manager and he'll get back to you."  Has he gotten back to me?  Absolutely not.  I am yet to hear any response from anybody.

I found out later that others have had the same experience - I will paste the Yelp review posted by "Vicki H.":

I've used this storage site since before it was public storage and owned by shurguard.  Ever since the change in ownership service have gone down.  There is no consistent property management.  I've received notice of rate increases in error.  The grounds are not kept up.  Recently I received a call that my payment was not received and please come down and verify the lock on my unit as the lock did not have a PS label on it.  Apparently, there had been a number of break ins in the month of January 2010 and since the lock did not have a PS sticker on it, I needed to look at it.  Except, the lock on my site had  two PS stickers on it but it was not my lock.

My unit apparently had been broken into sometime in the past month.  What I wanted to know is why the management did not alert customers that there were break ins occurring so we could check out units?  This would ensure a swifter identification of loss, increasing the opportunity for recovery.  If my payment had arrived on time they would not have called me.  Apparently, the only way customners find out there is a problem is when they arrive at their storage unit and find it does not have their lock on it.  Extremely poor attitude by the "Acting District Manager" that finally responded to open the unit by sawing off the lock that had been placed after which I found a significant amount of property missing.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2010 12:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Public-Storage-Alameda-Branch/Alameda-California-94501/Public-Storage-Alameda-Branch-Manager-Jay-Dava-Rental-neglect-cover-up-of-suspected-int-646578. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Public Storage, Alameda Branch