- Report: #672136
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Public Storage
Public Storage7700 Balboa Ave., Van Nuys, California United States of America
Public Storage Trina, PUBLIC STORAGE SOLD MY UNIT ILLEGALLY - DATE WAS CHANGED & NOT GIVEN IN WRITING Van Nuys, California
*General Comment: They provide a service that you didnt pay for!
*Consumer Comment: Case number?
*Consumer Comment: Wow is right
*Consumer Comment: WOW! I rest my case regarding the MENTAL ISSUES!
*Author of original report: RESPONSE TO POST #4 - STEVE
*Author of original report: MY RESPONSE TO ROBERT / POST # 1 - PUBLIC STORAGE CHANGE DATE & SOLD MY UNIT
*Author of original report: MY RESPONSE TO POST # 2 - PUBLIC STORAGE CHANGE DATE & SOLD MY UNIT
*Consumer Comment: This person obviously has mental issues!
*Consumer Comment: I Mean Really...
*Consumer Comment: Auction hunters
*Consumer Comment: Where is the Picasso
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
have to speak from a VICTIMs perspective. Ive been a customer with PStorage since 1995. Maintained my payments for many years, incurring the late fees, but managed. Came close to loosing one of my units last year, but through Gods Grace, the DM worked with me. They still had the auction, but I agreed to have full payment by 12 noon a few days later, and I was able to save my unit. I moved out at the end of month. My other unit, (I had 4 units)another close call. That location worked with me. Had me signed a release form, and agreed to move out at the end of month by closing time. Had to pay balance in full. Anything left after closing, it became their property. I managed that. Did not loose any of my possessions. That location also was understanding and worked with me.
My remaining 3 units. Allow me to share: All with same company, PStorage. The past 2 years has been most challenging. Had to come to rescue for my family members in a different state. Long story short, my brother was found in Wisconsin with a Stroke.
My other brother had major legal issues that I had to incur for Legal counsel. My sons best friend was undergoing major legal drama where if his mother had not called upon my assistance, the results would have been devastating. I assisted each circumstance. It cost me a bundle, but I assisted. Had to take care of my mom, who was diagnosed with Cancer. Through the financial and holistic support of assisting her and other outside obligations, my funds were reduced to beyond bare minimum. I found myself in a different state of reality: Ive become the people Ive assisted.
Trying to maintain my storage units became a major threat of inevitable loss. My mother succumb to her final breath January 1, 2010. My world was at a standstill. My Storage Unit was scheduled for auction on January 7th. I am now in a state of putting together money to bury my mom and handle funeral arrangement. I tried to explained to the Manager there, they DID NOT CARE. THEY SOLD MY STORAGE UNIT. I was Num. But, from that period, life was not the same. I had 2 storage units remaining.
Helping out one individual who came into my life 2 years prior resulted in a huge hiccup in my personal savings. My income is based on a commission structure. If I dont close, I dont get paid. So my income was reduced to bare minimum where my monthly obligations could no longer be met. I lost my Home. It was only myself and my 2 dogs. My son welcome me to his home, but he would not received my pets. (Wow) I told my pets, if you are homeless, so am I. The strain of being homeless, I dont even want to share that journey with you.
No time to mourn my mothers death, or the fact that they put my twin brother in a nursing home, and I made a promised to my mother on the phone while she layed in her death bed in Chicago, that I would take care of the family. One hour later, she passed away. I had a dream about her 3 days later, and when I asked her was she ok, she turn over in her coffin and said she was cold, but she looked at me and said, but things are not OK. Then she closed her eyes.
I asked her what did she meant by that, but she layed silent. Little did I know, she was giving me a warning. Because LIFE HAS NOT BEEN OK! But, my journey was a difficult one. After loosing my home, and moving my entire household into my storage unit, 2 months later, I lost my Dog where I had to put her down because of a disease that affects older animals. I had her since she was pup. That was a very emotional day at the vet office. It took me over 2 hours to finally let her go.
I came there with 2 dogs and left with 1. Getting off track heremy storage unit was up for auction in September. My bill was $900.00 I told them I only had $500 and if they would accept that, give me a week to raise the difference. They said NO. Had to have the total amount. The auction was scheduled for September 6th. I told her that was a Holiday. Then she called me back and said, theyre going to have it on the 7th. I told her she would have to put that in writing, but she said no.
I asked to speak with the DM, they denied me that right. THEY SOLD MY THINGS ON THE 7TH. They sold my HISTORY. My complete Household and 25 years of Hollywood Collectibles, Mannequins & Memorabillia. Including my Leash from my beloved Dog. All of my pictures, my History of 25 years of collectibles. It is not about money. There were sentimental items that CAN NEVER BE REPLACE. When I asked what did it sell for and will my pictures and personal items be returned, they said I had to go to the nearest storage unit to get that information in person.
PSTORAGE STOLE MY POSSESSIONS. I am going to have pursue that one. But, I have 1 unit remaining. Almost lost that one last month. But the employee at this unit was most gracious. She gave me the contact # to the DM. I spoke with him, explained that I am still incurring a Hardship, he understood, allowed me to sign a Release form with conditions: I paid $300 now, and pay the balance in 2 weeks, otherwise I loose all rights. I agreed to the terms, paid the $300, and was able to pay the balance on the due date. I SAVED THAT UNIT.
I am grateful for their kindness and understanding. So I do not understand why the other 2 units did not offer the same. However, it hurts my heart to think what Ive lost. And then the employee had the audacity to call me and speak, I know you have another unit at our other facility that is up for auction. I told her that was not her concern and she should not be concern with my other storage unit.
Then she called me in November and said that my pictures were returned but I had to pick it up immediately otherwise they would disposed of it. She is a WITCH. And when time allows, I am going after her Legally. I think I have a case with that unit, as well as my unit that was lossed in January, as I understand in the Spring, they put the cancelled all auctions for 3 months due to some form of a loophole in the contract and a legal dispute. So, my despair is almost over and I will have my life back, but to those of you who actually make a living off of other peoples Hardships, just think about what you are doing.
You have no idea the history of those possessions. All you see is an opportunity to CAPITALIZED OFF OF PEOPLES POSSESSIONS. AND MANY OF THE STORAGE UNITS OUT THERE, IT IS ALSO INSIDE ASSISTANCE. I LOOK FORWARD TO PIONEERING A LAW AGAINST THIS TYPE OF TRAVISTY FOR THE SAKE OF MAKING A BUCK. Bidders speak, it's hard workNO. YOU DID NOT TAKE THE TIME TO ACCUMULATE THESE POSSESSIONS. You did not go thru the struggle of having to move and procure a location for one's possessions. YOU SIMPLY DON"T CARE. YOU MERELY CHECK THE AUCTION DATE AND DROVE DOWN TO MAKE A BID. THEN YOU SELL POSSESSION THAT DO NOT BELONG TO YOU. YOU WANT THE TRUTH: YOURE THIEVES!
Based on this experience, it appears that each storage unit has their own policy. I will pursue them. For what they have taken from me, does not have a price. The employee their by the name of Trina would not allow me to speak to the manager regarding my personal paperwork that was returned. She as an employee had no right to disposed of my personal paperwork. At my other unit where my things were lossed, they said they retain personal there for 7 years. Trina says 30 days.
Yet, when my things were sold on the 7th, I called them on the 8th and the 10th, and they said no one returned my things. She then calls me a week before Thanksgiving and says I have to pick them up. I told her I could not get there that week and would be there in 2 weeks, she stated, we're not going to hold them that long. Public Storage - this policy they have of selling off peoples possessions, NEEDS TO CHANGE.
I've loss 2 units with them. The one in January, something had to take place the months thereafter, as they put a STOP to all auctions for 3 months because of some legalities. My research is now beginning. I am not dismissing this. I look forward to a Legal Process with you and the Employee and Manager of that Location. You were wrong! What I don't understand, you can have a public auction and sell to a STRANGER at a price as low as $5.00, yet you are not willing to work with the tenants there, and allow a structured payment plan. And, if they pay only $5.00, you still have the audacity to send a bill for the balance still due. THIEVES.
This has to STOPPED. I can only speak for myself, as I've experienced 2 storage losses with Public Storage. But what about many others. I see the complaints. Absolutely devastating.
1) BLUE VINTAGE BICYCLE $ 100.00
2) 32 COLOR TV $ 350.00
3) ARMOIRE W/ PERSONALS INSIDE $ 350.00
4) VIDEO COLLECTION OF OVER 300 VIDEOS (CLASSICS TO CURRENT) $ 4,500.00
5) CLASSIC VIDEOS (PERFORMANCES, B/W, BROADWAY, ENTERTAINERS OF PAST) $ 2,500.00
6) FABRIC COLLECTION (VOLUME) VINTAGE TO CURRENT $20,000.00
7) PRE-CUT COSTUMES / VINTAGE WARDROBE /PERIOD $10,000.00
8)ARMOIRE W/WARDROBE PERSONALS INSIDE $ 1, 500.00
9) HOME WALL PICTURES $ 2,500.00
10) STORE POSTERS, PICTURES OF ENTERTAINERS, ETC., SIZE VARIANCE $10,000.00 11) PERSONAL WARDROBE COLLECTION (CLOTHING & SHOES) $30,000.00
12) PERSONAL JEWELRY COLLECTION $10,000.00
13) COSTUME COLLECTION (STORE INVENTORY) HEAVY VOLUME $50,000.00
14) TITANIC COLLECTION (AUTOGRAPH PHOTOS, PHOTOS, ITEMS) $12,000.00
15) ORIGINAL SHEET MUSIC COLLECTION SIGNED & UNSIGNED (1900-1950S) $ 2,500.00
16) VIC DAMONE SCRAPBOOKS VOLUME I & VOLUME II (SIGNED PHOTOS) $10,000.00
17) AUTOGRAPH JOAN CRAWFORD PHOTO $ 1,000.00
18) WICKER CHAISE W/STAND (NEW) $ 350.00
19) FILE CABINETS W/SHREDDER (SET OF 2) $ 90.00 20)
CHANDELIER FLOOR LAMP (NEW) $ 75.00
21) ARTIST 6FT. PICTURE DISPLAY STANDS (SET OF 3) $ 300.00
22) COSTUME WIGS (NEW IN BOXES) M. MONROE, ELVIS, CHARACTER $ 1,000.00
23) VINTAGE MANNEQUIN COLLECTION - 10,000.00
24) VINTAGE WARDROBE (GENERAL & ENTERTAINER PIECES) $20,000.00
25) MICHAEL JACKSON WARDROBE ACCESSORY COLLECTION $ 3,500.00
26) PERSONAL ENTERTAINER WARDROBE $ 4,500.00
27) MISCELLANEOUS FURNITURE PIECES $10,000.00
28) KITCHEN ACCESSORIES (APPLIANCES NEW & USED) $ 5,000.00
29) POT BELLY FIREPLACE (NEW) $ 150.00
30) STORE INVENTORY MISCELLANEOUS PIECES $9, 500.00
31) PATIO FURNITURE & UMBRELLAS (NEW) $ 700.00
32) SPECIALTY CHAIRS FOR STORE INVENTORY $ 200.00
33) VINTAGE & NEW MAGAZINE COLLECTION (MEMORIBILLIA) $ 3,000.00
34) GLASS DESK (NEW IN BOX) $ 150.00
35) ELVIS COLLECTION $ 1.500.00
36) CUSTOM MADE COMPUTERS (SET OF 2 PINK IN COLOR) NEW $ 1,600.00 FAMILY PHOTO HISTORY ON THESE COMPUTERS 1000s COSTUME IMAGES FOR REFERENCES BUSINESS PROPOSAL PLANS
37) VINTAGE STAND FOR 1920S RADIO $ 75.00
38) SET OF 2 WHITE ROOM DIVIDERS (SLIGHTLY USED) $ 200.00
39) 3 TIER LAMP $ 50.00
40) EXERCISE EQUIPMENT $ 40.00
41) VINTAGE SUITCASES W/CONTENT $ 350.00
42) BOOK COLLECTION (VINTAGE & NEW & COLLEGE) $ 2,500.00
43) MAHOGANY TABLE & 2 HIGH TOP CHAIRS $ 400.00
44) MOVING MALIBU PICTURE $ 75.00
45) MOVIE POSTER COLLECTION $ 500.00
46) FRANK SINATRA COLLECTION $ 3,000.00
47) SAMMY DAVIS JR. COLLECTION $ 2,500.00
48) RAT PACK COLLECTION $ 700.00
49) BILLY ECSTINE MUSIC COLLECTION (TRUNK LOAD OF SHEET MUSIC/PHOTOS $ 25,000.00
50) COLLECTION OF HOUSEHOLD ITEMS & STORE ITEMS (TOO NUMEROUS) $ 75,000.00
51) FAMILY PICTURES & FAMILY HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS 3 VOLUME PHOTO FOR EACH OF MY BOYS 2 VOLUME PHOTO ALBUMN COSTA RICA LOVE STORY COLLECTION OF FAMILY PHOTOS BANK DOCUMENTS, CHECKBOOKS, CHECK CARDS BUSINESS CARDS OLD DRIVER LICENSES MY MOTHERS EUOLOGY DOCUMENTS FROM FUNERAL MY STEP-MOTHERS EUOLOGY DOCUMENS FROM FUNERAL MY FATHERS EUOLOGY DOCUMENTS FROM FUNERAL FLOWERS COLLECTED FROM MY PARENTS FUNERAL IN WICKER SUITCASE IMPORTANT PERSONAL DOCUMENTS (FAMILY AND/OR OTHERS) FAMILY BIRTH CERTIFICATES PRICELESS
52) SEPTEMBER 11TH 2001 DVD DOCUMENTARY REFLECTIONS PRICELESS
53) UNOPENED MERCHANDISE FOR STORE INVENTORY $20,000.00
54) CLIENT FILES FROM MORTGAGE INDUSTRY PRICELESS
55) AUDREY HEPBURN DVD HISTORICAL PHOTO MEMORBILLA $ 2,500.00
56) PRINCESS DIANA DVD COLLECTION WEDDING & FUNERAL NEW PRICELESS
57) MICHAEL JACKSON BUCHAREST TAPE / MUSIC VIDEOS/DVD $ 2,500.00
58) DVD COLLECTION INCLUDING AUTOGRAPH OF J. CAMERON TITANIC $ 3,500.00
59) HOLLYWOOD LEGENDS OVERSIDE WALL PICTURE, FRAMED $ 100.00
60) MICHAEL JACKSON TSHIRT INVENTORY COLLECTION NEW $ 1,500.00
61) VINTAGE HAT COLLECTION 1850 1960S $10,000.00
62) VINTAGE PROP DISPLAYS HOLLYWOOD $15,000.00
63) VINTAGE STAND GOLF DESIGN W/PHOTO MY LATE FATHER PRICELESS
64) COLLECTION OF PIRATE HATS NEW INVENTORY (NIP) $ 2,500.00
65) VINTAGE & CURRENT PERFUME BOTTLE COLLECTION $10,000.00
66) COLLECTION OF STARBUCKS UNOPENED MUSIC CDS $ 600.00
67) MUSIC COLLECTION OF NEW & USED CDS $ 2,000.00
68) MY SONS CLOTHING COLLECTION & PERSONALS $ 3,000.00
69) VASE COLLECTION: MICHAEL JACKSON & SPECIALS $ 3,500.00
70) SET OF 3 SEWING MACHINES NEW, CURRENT & VINTAGE $ 1,100.00
71) COLLECTION OF COSTUME REFERENCE BOOKS HISTORICAL $ 1,000.00
72) SEWING NOTIONS, TRIMS, APPLIQUES, ACCESSORIES $ 5,500.00
73) SET OF 2 PORTABLE SPAS NEW IN BOX UNOPENED $ 1,500.00
74) ARTIST SUPPLIES & VINTAGE STENCILS COLLECTION $ 200.00
75) COSTUME COLLECTION SHIPMENT FROM AUSTRAILIA DERBY HAT LEOPARD GLOVES COSTUME WARDROBE SPECIAL GLASSES $ 1500.00
76) SET OF (2) PROVINCIAL MAHOGANY DISPLAY STANDS $ 295.00
77) THOMAS KINCAID PAINTING (FRAMED) $ 495.00
78) ASSORTED ARTWORK (FRAMED) $ 1,000.00
79) ASSORTED MOVIE POSTERS (HOLLYWOOD NOSTALGIA) (COLLECTIBLES) $ 2,500.00
80) RARE AUTOGRAPH CELEBRITY PHOTOS (FRAMED) JOAN CRAWFORD MAXFACTOR TITANIC SURVIVORS DAVID NIVEN BETTE DAVIS
81) RARE TITANIC VOICES CD $ 100.00
82) WICKER CHAIR SET - COLLECTIBLE SET $ 600.00
83) ORIGINAL ART PAINTINGS AND 4 ART PAINTING STANDS $3,000.00
84) HOUSEHOLD COLLECTION ITEMS NOT MENTIONED ABOVE $10,000.00
85) MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAWS PERSONAL CLOTHING & HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
86) MICHAEL JACSON COLLECTIBLE LITHO POSTER & MAGAZINE COLLECTION
87) COIN COLLECTION HEIRLOOM for my Sons
89) COLLECTIBLE DOLL COLLECTION, Titanic, Jacqueline Kennedy, Elvis, Cabbage Patch, etc.)
This is my History of over 30 years. This was a collection of inventory accumulated over the years to eventually open a Hollywood Museum and Costume Store.
There was inventory that was purchased and never even open, just stored in boxes until DREAM was manifested.
I just want my Possessions returned. I dont know who purchased my items, I dont know what it sold for, I dont know what was returned, and the employees at this location refused to give me any information.
My ENTIRE HouseholdGONE! These itemized losses only reflect my storage unit at this location. What I loss at the OXNARD & SEPULVEDA, VAN NUYS, CA was, for starters, over 50 UNOPENED BOXES of Mannequins, collectible, rare and unique.
Wardrobe collection of Sammy Davis Jr, Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Charlie Chaplin, Lucille Ball, Props from Paramount Studios and Warner Bros, Portable Spa Units, Pictures, Hollywood Stills Photos of old Hollywood, dating back to the 1900s and so much more.
This was my collection, that I collected over a period of 30 yearsand now its gone. To demographics that do not have a clue and simply looking to sell at Flea Markets, etc.
Yes. It hurts! I cant believe Public Storage can get away with such actions and not be held accountable in some way! It is time this industry becomes REGULATED. I know I have to file the necessary affadavits, as my identity details, as well as my sons and my daughter-in-law are now compromised.
My computers, comprised of our family history for the past 18 years, as well as my client details (even though that program is LOCKED), but still, exposed. No amount of money can replace what Ive loss with these 2 facilities. The bottom line, I lost apart of my history.
I am Hopeful that once I begin Litigation, this will be the BEGINNING of a NEW POLICY TO GO INTO EFFECT. My son's history of card collections, toys and clothing from over 30 years. GONE! Yes! I understand that I was behind in payment.
However, I was prepared to make partial payment and they did not accept, nor did they allow me to speak to the District Manager, nor did they allow me to submit the Objection to Lien Sale. And, if they made the mistake of setting the auction date on a Holiday, and then realizing they were close and postponing it to the following day, that should have been put in writingnot with a phone call.
To employees of Public Storage trying to justify my complaint, dont bother. It is already established where your loyalty is. To people who have the should of paid your bill, or let it go response, - UNTIL You EXPERIENCE such a loss, you cannot possibly be in a position to voice an understanding. We all have an INTERRUPTION in Life. This is mine. And the Hardship is a Journey I am still undergoing, but it's almost over. At least I did NOT loose my final storage. And I WILL NOT.
It would have been better if they had the option of allowing me to give something from my possession with a value equivalent to my balance.
As you can see, for WHATEVER PRICE they sold it for, it does not even come close.
And, at the moment of my immediate home loss, STORAGE was my ONLY option for securing a place for my possessions. Sadly, never realized that moment of me moving everything into the Storage Unit, it was only a matter of time that I would never see my possessions again.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2010 06:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Public-Storage/Van-Nuys-California-/Public-Storage-Trina-PUBLIC-STORAGE-SOLD-MY-UNIT-ILLEGALLY-DATE-WAS-CHANGED-NOT-GIVEN-672136. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.
- Business's (11)
- Lawyers and Law Firms (5312)
- Administrative Law (11)
- Admiralty & Maritime Law (27)
- Agricultural Law (2)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (10)
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation (1)
- Appellate Practice (72)
- Aviation & Aerospace (11)
- Banking Law (90)
- Bankruptcy (380)
- Business Law (232)
- Civil Rights (55)
- Class Actions (30)
- Commercial Law (13)
- Communications Law (1)
- Constitutional Law (1)
- Construction Law (83)
- Contracts (7)
- Corporate Law (75)
- Criminal Law (668)
- Debtor & Creditor (51)
- Education Law (14)
- Elder Law (77)
- ElectionCampaign & Political (0)
- Eminent Domain (5)
- Employee Benefits (7)
- Energy (0)
- Entertainment & Sports (17)
- Environmental Law (43)
- Family Law (13)
- Finance (0)
- Government (14)
- Government Contracts (2)
- Health Care (1)
- Immigration (482)
- Indians & Native Populations (1)
- Insurance (90)
- Intellectual Property (526)
- International Law (33)
- International Trade (0)
- Internet Law (7)
- Investments (1)
- Labor & Employment (12)
- Legal Malpractice (92)
- Litigation (20)
- Media Law (1)
- Medical Malpractice (13)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (0)
- Military Law (5)
- Natural Resources (10)
- Occupational Safety & Health (0)
- Personal Injury (842)
- Products Liability (21)
- Professional Liability (0)
- Real Estate (361)
- Securities (169)
- Taxation (142)
- Technology & Science (0)
- Toxic Torts (0)
- Transportation (2)
- Trusts & Estates (368)
- White Collar Crime (1)
- Wills & Probate (7)
- Workers Compensation (242)
- Zoning, Planning & Land Use (10)
- Legal Services (32)
- Arbitrators/Mediators (7)
- Automotive Expert Witnesses (0)
- Bail Bonds (0)
- Court Reporters (1)
- Electronic Data Discovery (1)
- Expert Witnesses (1)
- Forensic Experts (1)
- Jury Selection (0)
- Legal Assistants (8)
- Legal Speakers (2)
- Litigation Support (2)
- Medical Expert Witnesses (1)
- Other (14)
- Paralegal (5)
- Private Investigators (6)
- Process Servers (7)
- Translators/Interpreters (0)
- Miscellaneous Business Services (19)