Complaint Review: PublishAmerica

• Reported By: joseph — toledo Ohio USA
PublishAmerica
PublishAmerica.com Internet United States of America

PublishAmerica False advertisement and unprofessional conduct. Internet

1.  My report as a new author is the following.  PublishAmerica describes themselves as [A traditional, royalty paying publisher.  We are strongly opposed to charging fees, ever.  There's no catch, no hidden surprises.  The author is never, ever, obligated to pull their wallet to make any purchase whatsoever.]  Yet I have multiple email transmissions from PublishAmerica, offering me to buy my own book, again, again, and again, lower costs as long as I purchase the book myself.  Then I received one asking me to bid on the prospect of placing my name in another person's book, most likely back of the book.

2.  [PublishAmerica contacts dozens of bookstores each day to set up book signings for our authors.]  Wrong!  At least for me it was.  Again, these are what they suggest they do.  After going through a process of hardships, I was told in an email, which I still have.  It is up to me to fulfill my obligation as to the contract.  They instruct me to give them names of four or five bookstores local, addresses, phone numbers, city and state, zip code etc.  They want me to do their work.

3.  I had both called, and sent emails to PublishAmerica concerning the print and spelling in the book.  That tell me that per contract, I had 48 hours to correct spelling, and I agree that this is acceptable.  Yet on the other hand?  If you are a publishing company founded on professionalism, would not you wait to ensure that proper spelling was consistent throughout the book.  Regardless of the time constraints, I would not personally if I were a publisher, send a book out that is hacked with multiple spelling errors!  True, I should have waited before sending it in as a final manuscript, however, I am a new author and knew that this book could sell!  Obviously, with a $24.00 price on a 162 page short-story, there is very little chance of this book selling too many of the books.

4.  In finishing.  I like the term as follows.  Reasonable expectation for a so called, (Finished Work).  A reasonable expectation would be in my opinion?  A 162 page book written properly!  Even under contract, they should have refused to go ahead with printing, in regards to their publishing ability as well as professionalism.  They should have given a moderate price to start off with, generally to ensure that their interest would be returned.  I hope that millions of people, hopeful authors, lawyers and attorneys read this and respond to me.  I as well challenge PublishAmerica to do only the following as soon as possible.  I only want to have the contract between PublishAmerica and myself, dissolved under a mutual agreement.  I want all rights back, they retain no ties whatsoever.  If this is agreed upon amicably?  I will agree that in the end, PublishAmerica placed integrity and professionalism over false advertisement between their web page and their contracts.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/17/2009 07:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PublishAmerica/internet/PublishAmerica-False-advertisement-and-unprofessional-conduct-Internet-481432. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PublishAmerica