Complaint Review: Publisher Clearing House - Aka Active Periodicals

• Submitted: Wed, October 22, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, October 24, 2003

• Reported By:sterling Illinois
Publisher Clearing House - Aka Active Periodicals
Unknown Deerfield Beach, Florida U.S.A.

Publisher Clearing House Aka Active Periodicals ripoff charged more than promised. took funds without permission. never gave address or phone number to contact or cancell at any time. Deerfield Beach florida

*Consumer Comment: Close your checking account and open new one

This company called my husband at 8:30 at night promising he was in the running for their fifty thousand dollar publishers clearing house award. And on top of that he had also won three free magazine subscriptions. all he had to do was pick the magazines he wanted for free and one subscription that he would choose to order and it was that simple.. he would be re-entered into the drawing for the next round.

After approximatly 20 minutes of going through all of the magazines they featured, he was asked for a credit card number. The reason behind this the lady said was to get the first payment on the magazine started right away. There was never any price quoted to my husband, and he even explained that the account wasn't even in his name. He was reassured that the cards generally weren't even used, they just had to have it to "hold" his order.

When I checked my account a few days later, there was infact a charge from this company and in a very large sum. Way too much to be just for one subscription charge. When the company called to confirm his order 2 days later I asked them about the charge to my account, and was rudely told that they could not go over the account information with me because the order was in my husbands name.

I explained to the lady on the phone about the bank account not being in my husbands name and not authorized by me and she said I would have to talk to someone else about it, she only confirms the orders. When I asked how to contact someone she gave me the song and dance about them contacting me. That was a week ago and I have since had an additional charge to my account, and yet no follow up phone call.

Paulette
sterling, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2003 09:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Publisher-Clearing-House-Aka-Active-Periodicals/Deerfield-Beach-Florida/Publisher-Clearing-House-Aka-Active-Periodicals-ripoff-charged-more-than-promised-took-fu-69824. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Publisher Clearing House - Aka Active Periodicals

Close your checking account and open new one

AUTHOR: Angelwings - (U.S.A.)

Hello:

this is to all the people who have been scamed...by the travel agencies ad hotels..you can close your checking account and open a newone this will prvent anymore money being taken out of your account..this happened to my husband as well,and our bank suggested that we close the old checking account and ope a new one...so we did,i would reconmend that you do this for your protection...