Complaint Review: Publishers Sweepstakes

• Updated: Wed, January 13, 2010

• Reported By:Woodbridge Virginia
Publishers Sweepstakes
Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Publishers Sweepstakes attempted ripoff, possibly illegal sweepstakes claims Atlanta Georgia

*Consumer Comment: House of Publishing aka UPA

I got an unsolicited phone call on my cell phone from a person claiming to represent a "Publisher's Sweepstakes" (not "clearing house" nor "american family", etc.) The person kept referring to "they" as in "they want me to tell you..." He claimed that I was only one step away from winning $5,000, in fact that I was even closer than he's allowed to tell me, "but trust me, you are almost guaranteed to win" And, as a prize for becoming a finalist, they are already sending me a men's diamond watch and vouchers for free nights in a fancy hotel in Vegas or some other option.

In addition, I already won two free one-year magazine subscriptions (although it's "not a subscription because you can change magazines at any time"). All they ask from me is that I try a new magazine, "OK Magazine" as part of their promotion. It's a 2-for-1 deal because I also get to try a second magazine with that deal, for only $2.99 per week. "thanks for your time, my supervisor will call you back in a few minutes."
So he does, and it turns out that the "trial" for $2.99 a week cannot be canceled for 60 months because "we have pre-paid the publishers." I told him that made no sense, for supposedly ONE magazine to cost over $150 per year! I realize that it's a little less than newsstand price, but it's way more than a subscription price. When he realized I would not fall for it, he became really rude, said "so you don't want this?!" I said no and he hung up. I have yet to see the watch or vouchers. It is too soon to tell if they charged my credit card for anything yet.

Interestingly, the first caller offered to give me the zip code for their office in Atlanta, but then didn't know it. He "found" it, gave it to me, then "got a note from someone" that he had given me the wrong one and gave me a new one.

The first caller said that his supervisor would give me a claim number for the $5,000 prize. But when the supervisor called, he wanted to confirm that the first caller had given me a claim number. I said no, so he gave me one and said it was very important not to lose it.
So, to sum it up, it would appear that in order to receive a "prize" that I have won from a "sweepstakes", and in order to be eligible for the $5,000 prize, a purchase is required. The purchase is for a "2 for 1 deal", where, in addition to 2 "free" magazines, I would get two additional magazine for the price of one, at $2.99 per week that I cannot cancel for 60 months.

Does this sound legit to you? Of coures, I will update if I ever receive the watch and vouchers, and/or if they end up charging my credit card after I told the supervisor "no" upon the second phone call. The supervisor said his name was Bob Bradley. Phone number 1-877-931-3237. He said they were registered with the BBB.

Timothy
Woodbridge, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2006 06:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Publishers-Sweepstakes/Atlanta-Georgia-30328/Publishers-Sweepstakes-attempted-ripoff-possibly-illegal-sweepstakes-claims-Atlanta-Georg-174923. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Publishers Sweepstakes

House of Publishing aka UPA

AUTHOR: Logical - (United States of America)

I got an unsolicited phone as well from "House of Publishing" claiming I was selected to win $5,000 for being a "prefered visa, mastercard holder". Gave me a claim number of p1499. I was told if I bought a publication for $7 something a month than I would be even closer to winning. In addition, I would also get $600 worth in vouchers. $300 FREE Gas $300 FREE Groceries. He said a publisher will call me back in 5 Minutes. The "publisher" name was Justin Kennedy. He told me instead of being billed every month, they would bill me 3 payments of $90. I told him that made no sense and I didnt want to do it. I was still billed and they dont even answer the phone.

The number I have for them is 678 358 6082, Justin Kennedy. Who says,"Your smile will be as big as a banana sideways in your mouth".

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC