I downloaded a free copy of a registry error fixer called RegCure; on the thank-you page, there was a box that said you had to call this number to activate your new software. (There might have been some type of fine print somewhere that said it was actually an ad, but it certainly wasn't obvious, and the message clearly said you HAD to call this number to be able to use the new software.)
Well, the number was actually for Qresolve, which they did NOT announce when they answered the phone in India. Instead, they kept up the charade initiated by their ad.
The person I spoke with there, Mr. Rakesh Jha, asked for remote access to my computer, which I warily allowed him. (Yes, I was stupid.) He went on to do some fishing around and managed to convince me that I had a ton of security issues. One of his specific claims was that my computer had a Trojan Horse virus called csrss.exe. (He pointed out csrss.exe in my task manager pane.) He tricked me by doing a quick Google search and finding a Web page that mentioned something about the software being a Trojan Horse virus. I need to emphasize that he did this very quickly; I'm sure he's had lots of opportunities to practice on many suckers before me. I realized later that although there's a virus that can masquerade as csrss.exe, usually the program is just one of the indispensable Windows OS background programs (there's even a ridiculously simple way to tell whether the file is the real thing or a virus, although I discovered this only later). Mr. Jha, however, managed to convince me my computer's security had been compromised. Then he pressured me into buying a full year of services, telling me my computer had so many security threats that I was bound to need his company's help throughout the coming year.
They charged my credit card $199.99. After I realized how I had been had, I wrote them asking for a full refund. I will update this report on what transpires next.