Louisiana

• Submitted: Sat, June 26, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, May 24, 2012

• Reported By:Longview Washington
Quality Paperback Book Club
www.qpb.com Camp Hill, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Quality Paperback Book Club refuses to close account, continues to send unwanted books and bills Camp Hill Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Me 2

*Consumer Suggestion: Tell Them Any Books Received Will Be Considered "Gifts"

2 years ago I attempted to close my QPB account. My purchase commitment had long ago been satisfies, in fact I had enough bonus points to get several free books. My account was current and there was no outstanding bill. I sent my reply card and request to close account in plenty of time to not receive the monthly selection. It came anyway, so I refused delivery and returned the box unopened. The next month, I received a bill, the selection info and reply card, and sent notes to close my account and request credit for the returned book.

This continued for months, almost a year, and about 6 returned books. Until I decided to try the feedback form on the website since all I got on the phone was voice mail that was never returned. I got a personalized reply at long last. I replied promptly with the requested information. there was no answer so I assumed the problem was handled as I didn't get anymore monthly selection packets.

Before Christmas of 2003 (this is after 10 months of near silence), I started to get a flurry of letters stating that they were sending my deliquent account to collections. Sending letters to the new address on these form letters had no effect. After about the 2nd or so, I sent a letter saying that I had attempted to resolve this issue so many times that I was no longer going to respond to form letters/bills. I gave a home address, 2 phone numbers, and my email address so that a real person could contact me to resolve this issue.

the next letter was from a collection agency. Here I got communication. The result being that I got a tiny post card from QPB saying that they were sorry my returned book had not been credited. This note came in 04/04, over 2 years from the first attempt to close my account.

Beginning of June 2004, I started receiving the monthly slection packets again. I have requested the account be closed, had to send back 1 book already, left messages on their voicemail, and send notification that if I didn't receive contact from a live person by 5pm, on 6/22/04, I would be forced to take action. So here I sit on the 25th of June, researching my rights and ways to remedy the situation.

Want cheap books? Do yourself a favor, hit the Barnes and Noble or Amazon clearance pages, stop in at your local used book store, or start garage saleing. Do not join this book club unless you are planning on keeping your account forever and a day. Good Luck and happy reading.

Beverly
Longview, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2004 01:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Quality-Paperback-Book-Club/Camp-Hill-Pennsylvania-17012-6405/Quality-Paperback-Book-Club-refuses-to-close-account-continues-to-send-unwanted-books-and-96498. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Quality Paperback Book Club

Me 2

AUTHOR: NickyC - (United States of America)

I have had very much the same experience with this company. I have tried calling, there is no customer service. I order books to satisfy my obligation, then tried to close my account. I then tried to close my account. They canceled my order, kept the charge, and said that my "obligation" was not met. I have yet to actually recieve any books and they have about $70 of my money. I would do as the previous comment suggests, but I have nothing to show for the hassel.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Tell Them Any Books Received Will Be Considered "Gifts"

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

Send these poeple a certified letter, return receipt requested, telling them that you have attempted numerous times to close your account (give them the dates) and the have refused to do so. Tell them that from the date of this letter that you will consider any and all books received from them to be gifts and you will not be responsible for any costs incurred by them.