Complaint Review: Quibids

• Reported By: kbhr — Webberville Michigan United States of America
Quibids

Quibids Death By Adrenaline Internet

*General Comment: staying clear

*Consumer Comment: Here is the problem though..

*UPDATE Employee: We apologize for any confusion!

*Consumer Comment: I agree with you Jim..

*Consumer Comment: The one thing I like about ebay...

*Consumer Comment: To add..not just "greed"..

*Consumer Comment: It's called greed...

The quacks at Quibids count on the bidder's adrenaline and excitement to lure the bidder into buying more bids.  I'm not new to the world of online auctions, but this one is one of the lowest and sleaziest I've come across.

These scammers count upon the bidder getting caught up in the desire to have the product being bid upon, and, if the number of bids bought is insufficient, the bidder frantically buys more bids, in the middle of the action.

I am ashamed to say that I was caught up in that process, losing $80+ dollars in a very short time. Luckily, I took a quick break, and it was then I realized the scam which was being perpetrated at all bidders' expense.

Though I am wiser now, I truly wish that this place, and others like them should be slammed shut, and fast.  A pox on them!  I'd like to add that I DID read the terms, and somehow it was cleverly vague about the expenses.

There are more adjectives that I daren't put on record to state my disgust at this reprehensible website and its practices.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/07/2012 11:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Quibids/internet/Quibids-Death-By-Adrenaline-Internet-865269. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Quibids

#1 General Comment

staying clear

AUTHOR: Paul - (United States of America)

i was about to join qui bids upon the suggestion of my wife. but decided to visit this site and glad i did after reading your comments and complaints i have decided not to get involved with qui bids. as it seems to me the complaints are valid and i like my money and dont intend to throw away. i agree that 60 dollars is alot of money to start bidding on products. and not even knowing if you will get anything in the end. thanks for your complaints and clarifications on this subject.

Here is the problem though..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

Aside from blaming the "members" for not reading the terms which I would agree is a BIG HUGE fail on their part.. why is it when a new member signs onto the website are not informed this is for "entertainment"? It does not matter how much the site"claims" you can get the item for "retail" or up to 90% off or some kooky "buy now" feature...anyone who pays retail for anything these days is not too bight and I am sure that is mostly the type of "members" they are counting on....aka SUCKERS.

Bottom line this is gambling and entertainment, not a good alternative to conventional or online shopping. If the site was clear about this from the beginning there would be no merit to all of these reports against them.

As well in the reply here Qubids stated..."This feature ensures that QuiBids users always have the option to receive an item when participating in an auction, and never have to lose any money invested.."

Well how is it not loss if the only choices in the so called "auction" is to lose the entire investment, or have a choice to buy it at retail or whatever price Quibids sets to the item??

On the Quibid website it states "There's no such thing as losing on QuiBids, thanks to our "Buy Now" feature! Any time you bid in an auction (but don't actually win it), you can choose to buy the product for a discount using Buy Now. This helps to limit your losses, so you never have to leave any bids on the table. You'll never have to pay more than the Value Price for any products on QuiBids."

Hmm....so is the term "limiting losses" the same as "never lose?"

I don't expect Qubids will respond with an answer that can explain this like we are 3 year olds lol.

We apologize for any confusion!

AUTHOR: J4me10 - (USA)

We are truly sorry to hear this is your impression of QuiBids. We are proud to inform you that all practices involving QuiBids are in no way illegitimate. QuiBids recently passed an independent third-party audit of our integrity and internal controls. The following PDF file explains the audit in full detail: http://www.quibids.com/static/productimages/files/QuiBids_Grant%20Thornton-FINAL%20Report_2011.pdf

QuiBids is also a BBB accredited business and has been since September 22, 2010. We are very proud of our A- rating with the BBB. For more information regarding our BBB accreditation, please follow this link: http://www.bbb.org/oklahoma-city/business-reviews/penny-auctions/quibids-in-oklahoma-city-ok-90016706

When bidding in auctions on QuiBids, you never have to lose!  Though bids placed in auctions are not returned, you never have to lose an investment. If you win an auction, you will have the opportunity to obtain the item for up to 90% off retail!  If you lose in an auction, the Buy Now feature is available in every auction so that you can apply your investment towards the total value of the item. For example, if you bid an investment of $30 in an auction for an item valued at $50 and do not win, you may apply this investment towards the Value Price of an item when utilizing the Buy Now feature. So, in this case you have the opportunity to pay an additional $20 to receive the item at it's valued price. This feature ensures that QuiBids users always have the option to receive an item when participating in an auction, and never have to lose any money invested. By winning auctions and always utilizing the Buy Now feature in auctions that are not won, you will always be saving money on QuiBids. Hopefully this helps provide some clarification regarding your issue! Please don't hesitate to contact support@quibids.com with any other questions or concerns you may have.

I agree with you Jim..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

..but the biggest problem with these type of penny "auctions" is that unlike Ebay they are not really an "auction" but much closer if not specifically online gambling.

From this report it does seem the OP is now aware of this and it did cost some money to find this out. We can only hope others will learn from this and other reports about these sites and not to even get involved unless they are fully aware they will most likely lose, it will cost them to bid, and it is gambling and entertainment, not an auction.

The one thing I like about ebay...

AUTHOR: Jim Martin - (USA)

That's the one thing I like about ebay.  The bidder does not get charged anything to bid.  Ebay makes their money off the final value, including shipping, and bills it to the seller.  I looked into Quibids once and decided that their auction style wasn't for me.  The OP knew the price for each bid, and had the option to stop bidding at anytime.

So, Ronny, to answer your question about where the judgement of the OP comes into play, I think that would be when they submitted their credit card information to buy MORE bids after they knew the price for those bids from when they originally signed up.  Or, maybe, when they submitted their credit card information during the initial sign up phase.

So, OP, you never did say what you were bidding on or if you even won.  I think you lost and that is why you are upset.  If you had won and paid "only a fraction of the retail price" like Quibids advertises, you would be jumping for joy and think that this the greatest thing ever.  Am I right?

To add..not just "greed"..

..but ignorance.

They thrive on greed and ignorance. So I would say that is a scam and ripoff but at what point does the judgement of the victim come into play? My opinion is at the point where they ask for any account info. I won't enter it. And has a side benefit of not entering my account info, none of these online scammers/ gambling sites etc have been able to charge anything to my account.

It's called greed...

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

And that is what they thieve upon.