Complaint Review: Quicken Loans, Greg Mc Murtry

• Submitted: Tue, August 19, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, October 10, 2008

• Reported By:outside of Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Quicken Loans, Greg Mc Murtry
quickenloans.com Detroit ,oakland County, Michigan U.S.A.
  • Phone: 248-796-6442
  • Web:
  • Category: Loans

Quicken Loans, Greg Mc Murtry Told NOT to contact me, still getting 2-3 calls a day Detroit ,oakland County Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Most of your complaint makes no sense.

*Consumer Comment: Skigirlvail

*Consumer Comment: High Pressure Sales

I decided to look into getting a home loan, and entered information on a form on the web that would get me '3 or 4' lenders interested in doing this-and Quicken loans (individual's name, Greg Mc Murtry) was one of those who contacted me. We went over all details-in the meantime, I also gave the exact same information to two other potential lenders. McMurtry came back with a higher interest rate than the other 2-in addition, while the others were quoting me in writing their arrangements, McMurtry only ran a credit check that is on my record, while the others did not-this is a negative on your report, and I did not indicate that I was going with Quicken at any time.

I told McMurtry that I would contact him if I had any interest in going with Quicken, but it seemed unlikely since their interest rate was almost a full point higher. I said, clearly, for him NOT to contact me.

Since then (three weeks now) I get calls all day from him, either leaving messages or just hanging up. Usually, i get 2 or 3 calls, sometimes more. I do not answer them (caller ID) and I do not answer the ones that have numbers that make no sense-I have to assume that these are from him as well, since they have started since I began this process.

These are my observations and opinions, and I am feeling somewhat vindicated since I went online and see so many negative posts about Quicken Loans. I would have nothing to do with this operation-sounds like some boiler room operation that will annoy or cajole you into making a big mistake.

outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/19/2008 05:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Quicken-Loans-Greg-Mc-Murtry/Detroit-oakland-County-Michigan/Quicken-Loans-Greg-Mc-Murtry-Told-NOT-to-contact-me-still-getting-2-3-calls-a-day-Detroi-364410. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Quicken Loans, Greg Mc Murtry

Most of your complaint makes no sense.

AUTHOR: Time To Fight - (U.S.A.)

I never worked for Quicken Loans, although I did apply their once. I have to be honest with you, you don't have a clue on how the loan process works. I was an Executive Loan officer for 12 years. I got out of it for the past two with the economy being so bad and home values being what they are. We used to have a saying in the mortgage business, " when someone calls to ask about the interest rates, it is usually a sign that they have no idea what else to ask." Please, no offense intended. The interest rate tells you so little about the loan you are applying for. If you went to Lending Tree, they are all competing with one another. And they know that they only way they can get your business is to quote you the lowest rate. The problem is, 99% of the time, the one that gives you the lowest rate is the one that is lying his butt off. Either the rate sky rockets at the closing for some reason or they add a bunch of broker fees in their to essentially buy your rate down to what they told you it was going to be in the first place. Again, I don't know much about Quicken Loans, nor do I know anyone that works there but I do know this; those loan officer at Quicken Loans get about $200-$300 per loan that they close. Most other places it's usually about $3,000 and up. So your comment about them being some boiler room operation makes such little sense it's not even funny. Quicken Loans makes all of their money on volume. In other words, those loan officers there might close about 15-20 loans a month but they don't make as much money as other loan officers do for simply closing 2-3 a month. Mortage companies use interest rates to advertise because it's the only thing the average consumer can grasp. As for the continuous phone calls, that is their job. If you in fact went through Lending Tree, Lending Tree will punish lenders for not pursuing an active lead. So this guy is probably told by his boss to keep calling you until you tell him 'no'. He gets in trouble if he doesn't do this. He would probably rather you pick up the phone and tell him to 'f' off. That way he doesn't have to waste HIS time or yours. Again, I'm not trying to insult you, but you clearly don't have a clue about the mortgage business. Honestly, he was probably giving the best and most realistic rate, you just couldn't figure it out. Did you know the only way anyone can give you anything in writing is with the assumption that is closes in 7 days? Then it's all null and void. And I can guarantee you, nothing closes in 7 days. Plus, they are not required to show you any third party fees in those estimates as well. And, that's about 75% of your closing cost. There are a lot of predatory lenders out there but if Quicken was one, you would know. If saw more than a 1/4% difference in all those Good Faith Estimates and Quotes then someone was leaving something out-----and that I can guarantee.

AUTHOR: Wow - (U.S.A.)

Have your congress losers come get me too, I would like to be on TV....Go get a life

High Pressure Sales

AUTHOR: Skigirlvail - (U.S.A.)

Today I was contacted, via email, by Quicken Loans from Michigan and informed that they had just "inherited" me as a client. I fired back an email and asked how they had recieved my name and email account.

I then received a phone call from Tiffany Rodda. I've gone through everything you described and was told that only Quicken Loans will be writing mortgages for people like me (what did that mean????) in the future and only Quicken Loans could offer me the products and services I need.

Interesting, I said. I didn't contact you nor request your products or services. I did not seek nor retain your services. In fact, I don't need your services. This young woman clearly didn't have all of her facts since I have two mortgages on two separate properties.

I told her I was skeptical of everything she was telling me, that I found her phone call predatory in nature, and frankly I didn't buy a single thing she was telling me.
She was beligerant and persistant.

I finally told her that I didn't need her because I actually met with my mortgage broker, real estate attorney and banker this week and I will probably pay off both mortgages in the next month or two. She was exasperated......."why would you ever pay off a mortgage" she asked? "Because I can" I said.

I hung up. I immediately received two emails from her explaining that she was really here to help me and that I needed her help. She then sent me a link to Quicken Loans website telling me that now I had REAL information.

Well, I promptly filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Michgan. I encourage you to do the same. There have been 98 complaints about selling practices in the past 36 months.......and you know there have been far more - people just don't take the time to write the BBB.

I also promptly filed a complaint on this website which is posted. I am considering writing Senator Levin, and friends from high school who are a US Congressman, a US District Court Attorney for Eastern Michigan and a District Attorney for the state of Michigan.

I am also considering calling the local NBC, ABC and CBS affiliates in Detroit and filing a story with them.

These high pressure sales tactics full of misinformation has got to stop. There has to be an end to this. There are too many people who don't have the means to know when they are being pressured into something that might not be the best product for them.