Complaint Review: Quicken Loans

• Submitted: Sat, September 25, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, October 12, 2010

• Reported By: TC — Detroit Michigan U.S.A.
Quicken Loans

Quicken Loans Former Employee...Do not do business with this company...keep it local and face to face Internet

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Forbes

*Consumer Comment: Weird

*Consumer Comment: They Will Not Give Resititution...

*Author of original report: Quicken Loans deposit scam response...I can help

*Consumer Comment: Thanx You For This...

I am a former employee of Quicken Loans.  I was with this company for around 3 years and I have been in the business for more than 10 years.

The rumors you hear about the 500.00 deposit are true.  They will take your money.  Its their way of making money regardless if you close or not.  Regarding the deposit, always always ask if you are in a nonrefundable state.  Never never let them collect a deposit of any kind until your application is processed and you have seen all of the paperwork.  Never ever believe what the loan officer tells you he believes your property to be worth.  You are a number at this company, the loan officer is fulfilling some sort of an incentive just by taking your application and pulling your credit report.  On top of that, the loan officers make very very little on your loan.  You might think that is good, well its not because quicken is charging you a very steep price to refinance...in fact, they are right at the legal limit as far as your charges go.  The money, outside of an average 200.00 that may go to the loan officer goes right to the pockets of the higher ups (the ones not directly working with you on your loan).  You are paying the price for thousands of loan officers and other staff and the fact that it is a nationwide company with lots of marketing costs.

I quit this company because its a sham.  It is not an ethical company.  I could write a book on some of the practices I saw there.

My advice to anyone getting a mortgage is to keep it local..  Have a face to face meeting with your loan officer.  This way you make the person handling your loan accountable.  If the loan officer knows that you may pay him a visit and make a scene if things dont go as promised, he will make it a priority to give the best attention to your loan.  Do not listen to the bs from quicken...the only reason they are writing your loan over the phone and internet is because it was their practices that has made lending in their home state almost impossible.

They are crooks...Im glad to be out from under that company.  And so happy not to be told to work countless hours of overtime unpaid.  The employees there arent happy either...they are working for peanuts and are being taken advantage because of the state of the current job market.  I wouldnt send my worst enemy there to work and I certainly wouldnt advise anyone to do a loan with them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2010 12:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Quicken-Loans/internet/Quicken-Loans-Former-EmployeeDo-not-do-business-with-this-companykeep-it-local-and-644227. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Quicken Loans

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Forbes

AUTHOR: ABC - (USA)

I worked at Quicken long enough to find these rankings strangely skewed.  It is unknown which employees were actually surveyed, but it was most likely not sales.  They prefer to hire employees that do not have options to work elsewhere.  That is why the Michigan and Ohio offices have less issues.  In Arizona, they may have finally realized that you can't treat people like crap or else they will find other opportunities.  Just ask anyone how many Arizona employees have left or are still trying to leave because the "family" is disfunctional.

Weird

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Quicken Loans used to be ranked in the top 5 of best places to work and is still ranked in top 30 by Fortune 500 still.

Not Like I can believe everything Fortune 500 says though.

They Will Not Give Resititution...

AUTHOR: Bman - (United States of America)

I gave my credit card number before the paperwork was sent. The paperwork I signed had placed a ZERO where the deposit was placed. After I signed the paperwork, when it was returned they placed $500 where there was a ZERO. I cannot prove this since I have only the second set. After I received these documents and unwisely signed them, I asked a friend who is a real estate broker if he every heard of anything like this and he said no. Then he made the calculations and knew that I was supposed to receive cash out - only there was none! They were charging me more for interest and fees than what they stated in an email thread I carried with the sales person (called a banker). So I rescinded my contract within 24 hours and never received a penny back. There was NO inspection and the paperwork was their only contribution, and I had to rush around so I could LOCK IN THIS GREAT OFFER, only it was not what I agreed to or they said I would receive. I do not expect anything back since Kelly stated in this forum, the prissy young jerk that she is, that she would NEVER allow me to get paid back. I expect nothing from this company since they have no idea, nor do they care about, the hardship they may cause others. I have been contacting every government agency imaginable to report this company and my best reward is that someday they are taken to task for their sleazy business practices. Sadly they are not alone since crime is now LEGALIZED in the banking and mortgage industries. We have the lobbyists to thank for this!
For those with a similar experiences please consider filing a report to this government agency:

Quicken Loans deposit scam response...I can help

AUTHOR: Troy - (U.S.A.)

I am very sorry for what you have went through.  I truly am.  I am curious to know when the deposit was collected?  This is very important.  Quicken or any other loan company is not allowed to collect a deposit until your complete application has been sent to you, then signed by you and returned with full approval.  If your credit card information was taken before you received this application, then they are responsible for refunding your money.  Recently new laws in most states have prohibited collecting these fees before the application is signed fully and approved.

Quicken demands that their loan officers collect credit card information before the application can be approved.  In other words the application will not print or make it fully through their desktop underwriter (Lakewood) until this information is received.  Recently federal and state laws have forced quicken to allow an application to get thru the approval process without the card information, but the loan officers are still encouraged (wink wink) to get this information at time of taking the application.  Quicken will then hold onto this information until the application comes back and then charge it.

I mentioned before that I worked for this company for several years.  One of the problems that I had was that the Michigan state laws prevented charging this deposit before the application was received, however as soon as the application was approved (not signed or seen by the applicant--just approved in the system) a letter would immediately follow thanking the applicant for their commitment of 500.00.  I had a big problem with this as clients were continually questioning when I was telling them the card would be charged (which was truthful) and what the letter they received said before they even recieved their application.  I dont believe that this letter is being sent out anymore as this would get them into a heap of legal trouble now.  Regardless the loan officers are stressed to ask for a commitment, if the client obliges then Quicken says that it was volunteered by the client.  See how this works?  Its not the only reason...but it is one of the reasons I couldnt work there anymore.

Sorry to be so long on this.  Again, the important thing here is when was the credit card information requested by the loan officer and at what point in the application process did you give the loan officer this information.  If they asked for the deposit and you gave them the credit card information at their request before you actually seen the official application with ALL disclosures...then you and others have a great case to get your money back legally.  I would also suggest taking your complaint higher than a customer care rep like Kelly.  She is a cut and paste responder.  Make the call and tell them you want to speak to Bill Emerson (CEO) or Dan Gilbert (Founder and Chairman).  If you ever make a call and do not get a response in the same day or within 24 hours...then that is another complaint that somebody will get fired over.

Retrace your steps and find out when the card information was requested (not when it was charged) and when you gave them the information.  If it was anytime before you received your application and all disclosures, then they are breaking the law and you are entitled to get your money back.  Remember, do not let the loan officer or anyone else tell you when it was charged...make them tell you when the card information was requested and when it was put in the system.  There are laws that protect you from this...very recent laws.  This really needs to stop with Quicken Loans.  I will do whatever I can to help you and others.  Leave a private email if you wish and we can speak privately.  I think I can help.

Thanx You For This...

AUTHOR: Bman - (United States of America)

I wish that I had known about this site before I was scammed of the $500 I lost. Today I was asked to take part in a questionnaire about what Elizabeth Warren should look at when she comes to regulate this financial free-for-all we common folk have been and continue to suffer. The arrogant Kelly will no doubt let her opinion be know, one that she is paid to regurgitate. This noxious person has told me in this forum that I will NEVER get my deposit back because I chose to complain and try to make sure others do not fall into this trap. She use the canned rationale that she claims that she never uses so why is it always the same? I received no service or report or inspection yet they were able to keep my money even though I could ill afford to pay it and I rescinded within 24 hours. The paperwork did not do what the promises stated and I was paying a higher interest by thousands from what was promised me online and in telephone conversations. There is no originality or humanity in Kellys usual response. So I appreciate what someone that has worked for the company lays out some of the nasty practices that they use as stealth financial weapons against the poor and unfortunate. I also suggest that people write their reports down and send them to: http://www.ftc.gov/reports/index.htm

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC