Complaint Review: RAC - Rent A Center

• Updated: Fri, October 30, 2009

• Reported By: Angry in CA — USA USA
RAC - Rent A Center
710 E ARROW HWY POMONA, California United States of America

RAC - Rent A Center RAC Violtors of Fair Debt Act by harassing cusomers with daily phone calls. POMONA, California

*General Comment: Pay your bill

*Consumer Comment: I don't know where you get your information...

RAC violates the Fair Debt Act by using DAILY phone calls starting from being just 2 days late with payment. Yes I get they want their money, that is not the issue. But never in my life have I heard of a company calling a customer daily about payment unless they were more than 30 days past due.

They leave messages like "We need you to return (insert item bought) due to non payment." DAILY!!!! Then after 3 days they tell you that your account is closed and you need to return the item to the store. Yet if you go on line you can still make your payment! So how is that account closed??? Not to mention the calls stop. So obviously they do not want their merchandise back all that bad.

And the referral??? A joke!! I am a returning customer and my ex-boyfriend has purchased items there recently. An since we have remained friends and I listed him as a reference. What do they do??? Give him a week free for refering me!!!! He did NOT do this, I came in on my own so why the hell did they do this????? Where is my free week????

All I know is I will NEVER buy from them again, if I need to I will go to the competetor or figure out another way to get what I need. I am done with their poor customer service skills.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/23/2009 12:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RAC-Rent-A-Center/POMONA-California-91767/RAC-Rent-A-Center-RAC-Violtors-of-Fair-Debt-Act-by-harassing-cusomers-with-daily-phone-c-513635. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RAC - Rent A Center

#1 General Comment

Pay your bill

AUTHOR: rysmama80 - (USA)

Sounds to me whether or not your 1 day late or 30 days late, you're late, so at that point the company can collect by any means possible. Just take responsiblity for your lack of making payments on time.

I don't know where you get your information...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

First there is no "Fair Debt Act".  There is the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act(FDCPA), but that only applies to 3rd Party Collection Agencies and not Original Creditors(which RAC is).

There is no law that you have to be 30 days late before they contact you.  In fact there is nothing that says they can't call you for being even one day late, or even calling you ON or BEFORE the due date.  You have to remember that you made an agreement that said you would pay a certain amount on a certain date.  In return for that agreement you have a (insert item leased).

As you found the best way to make the calls stop is to pay them, or return the item.

I really do hope that you follow your own advise for the future especially this part..."or figure out another way to get what I need"

All Rent-To-Own companies have extremely high interest, and saving the money in advance and then being able to go into a regular store will save you a lot of money in the long run.