Complaint Review: RAC - Rent A Center

Chicago Avenue Riverside, California United States of America
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category:

RAC - Rent A Center Refuses To Update My Credit Report / Score After Items Were Paid On Time & Paid In Full. Riverside, California

*Consumer Comment: update your own credit

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: ignorance is not RAC's fault

I recently walked into Rent A Center and spoke with Becky- told her I am trying to build my credit score everywhere I can, because I am trying to buy a home and the more good credit, the better.

She said, "Sure, come on in...I understand"!  I went in and purchased a laptop on credit.  Made every payment on time and paid it off.

Wow- pulled up my credit report a couple of months later, and it did not show up! However, the leather couch & loveseat I purchased from Macias Furniture showed up and boosted my score!

I questioned Becky at the store and she retorted, "I don't make a note when someone pays something off, I only report to the credit agency if someone is late on a payment.  Whoever is checking your credit score can call me and I will tell them over the phone".

HUH? No one calls individual companies when pulling up your credit report...plueeeze!

Before questioning her, I had also purchased a big screen tv and a stand totalling over $2500.  Have made every payment for both on time...however, since it is not going to boost my credit score..I am going to return both and go back to Macias Furniture.

She lied. When I first walked in, she said she understood my need to build credit and agreed they would do that-absolutley. Interesting how people lie to make a sale.

Thanks for reading, I hope this helped some people out who are trying to establish or build their credit!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2010 06:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RAC-Rent-A-Center/Riverside-California-92507/RAC-Rent-A-Center-Refuses-To-Update-My-Credit-Report-Score-After-Items-Were-Paid-On-T-561730. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RAC - Rent A Center

update your own credit

AUTHOR: Harold - (Canada)

you can always update your own credit report with proof of payment.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

ignorance is not RAC's fault

AUTHOR: AngryFatMan - (USA)

The only time RAC reports is when you rip them off. It is Legally considered a lease transaction. Leases do not get reported as a positive on your credit, only a negative if they are defaulted on.

I am sorry she didn't correct you about the misconception that you would improve your credit, but do you really think it would add that much to your credit score?

What RAC can do is write a " Letter of Credit" in your favor for a larger loan such as a car or home loan. Most larger lenders will accept such " alternative credit sources" as a factor in considering approving a loan.

dedication