Complaint Review: RAC - Rent A Center

• Submitted: Mon, July 12, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, July 19, 2010

• Reported By: Shellise — chicago Illinois U.S.A.
RAC - Rent A Center
3039 n palaski rd. chicago, Illinois United States of America

RAC - Rent A Center unfair late fee charges chicago, Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Go read a funny page...

*Consumer Comment: Ripoff?

*Consumer Suggestion: Lack of understanding

*Consumer Comment: LOL!!! PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!!

*General Comment: Sorry

*General Comment: People overpay for Junk

*Consumer Comment: Good idea

*Consumer Comment: Good decision

RENT A CENTER store at 3039 N Palaski RD,Chicago Ill 60641

IF you are late with your payment, you will pay big time, BEST TO CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT,THEY ARE NOT HERE TO HELP YOU, KEEP YOUR PURCHASE, THEY WANT YOU TO PAY FOR YOUR PURCHASE AT LEAST TWICE, lATE FEES AS WE SOMETIMES HAVE WILL KEEP YOU FROM PAYING OFF THE ITEM.PLEASE DONT BE A COUPLE DAYS LATE, THE PAYMENT WILL GO UP $ 20-50 EXTRA DOLLARS, i AM RETURNING MY BEAUTIFULL DINNETT SET, mY INTENTIONS WERE TO PAY IT OFF WITHIN THE 3 MONTHS ALLOWMENT TIME THIS CHANGE ONCE I SAW THIS COMPANY FOR WHAT IT IS. ITS TO LATE FOR ME TO RETURN MY WASHER AND DRYER I HAVE ALREADY PAID OVER $1000 DOLLARS FOR IT WITH OVER ANOTHER $1000 (16 MONTHS) TO GO THER FORE i MUST PAY IT OFF. CLOSE THE ACCOUNT, AND NEXT TIME SAVE UP FOR MY NEXT PURCHASE TO BE PAID IN CASH, NOT CREDIT (US WITH LESS THEN PERFECT CREDIT) watch out. THE WAY THE STORE MANAGERS AND SALES PERSONS EXSPLAIN THIS TO YOU IS THAT ' LATE PAYMENTS ARE TAKEN SERIOUS BY RENT A CENTER. WITH THIS SAID, I WILL FINISH PAYING FOR MY WASHER AND DRYER. CLOSE THE ACCOUNT. AND NEXT TIME BE PATIENT, SAVE, AND THEN PURCHASE. NO MORE RENT A CENTER FOR ME.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/12/2010 02:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RAC-Rent-A-Center/chicago-Illinois-60641/RAC-Rent-A-Center-unfair-late-fee-charges-chicago-Illinois-622416. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RAC - Rent A Center

Go read a funny page...

AUTHOR: victoriarose - (United States of America)

It's quite obvious the ignorance in comment #7 the whole point in paying for insurance like that is because is the event of a lay-off they will allow deductions off your account for a certain time period. The same goes for credit card companies. I take it you've never applied for one before since everyone else I know has seen the little box you check at the bottom of the application. It is supposedly designed for unexpected situations such as loss of employment, and death. Please do the rest of us a favor, and don't comment if you don't know what your talking about.

Ripoff?

AUTHOR: Windsnake - (United States of America)

How is this a rip off? You failed to pay on time and therefore were charged late fees. How about your own up to your responsibilities and manage your finances a little better. Better yet, don't buy or "rent" something you can't afford in the first place.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Lack of understanding

AUTHOR: ethicsadvocate1 - (United States of America)

Just a few things:

1. Rent-A-Center does not give credit, they are a rental company.

2. To the a*hole who mentioned "Goodwill", you're ignorant, shut up.

3. Years ago I had to use RAC because my credit sucked and we didn't have a washer and dryer. Yep it cost me a fortune. About 2 and a half times what it would have if I had the cash.

4. When I got layed off, I called and they came and picked up the washer and dryer. When I got called back to work I called and they brought them back. (didn't charge me while I was layed off)

5. I now have 2 credit cards. If I called Citibank and said, "I'm layed off and I need you to come pick up my 42 inch LCD and I'll pay you when I get back to work." Do I even have to explain how funny that would be?

6. RAC told me what my payment would be. They don't increase interest rates "at will".  They won't ruin your credit rating any further than you already have. Citibank will, and so will every other credit card issuer in this country.

7. The reason you couldn't deal with RAC is the same reason your credit sucks: Because you are irresponsible. Try paying your bills.

8. Our countries economic problems aren't just because of the mortgage companies and banks, it's because of people like you who buy things that you can't afford. You don't deserve nice things just because you live here, or "immigrate" here. You earn things because you work hard and pay for what you need and want. Did you get the part about working and paying???

Have a nice day, and please don't complain about immigrants. Chances are you don't pay your taxes either.

LOL!!! PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!!

AUTHOR: victoriarose - (United States of America)

Yep! I don't understand how this country is in a recession, but the government is letting places like these bleed the american consumer dry. Same goes for any phone, cable, or  internet service provider. I had been a customer with RAC for over 4 years, and paid off three seperate accounts. I decided I had to have a new laptop, and purchased it threw them instead of waiting to find a cheap one on craigslist. I had originally signed up for a 18 month contract, and the month before it was supposed to be paid off they tell me that I have another 18 months to go. I have paid close to 3000 for something that only sells for 850. On top of that I lost my job, and I have paid for benefits plus the whole time. I was one week late, and they threatened to come take my comp back! I thought the whole purpose of benefits plus was to cover any damage, theft, or loss of employment? Forget about that!!  I feel sorry for anybody foolish enough to ever use there services. I know they will NEVER receive my business again!

#5 General Comment

Sorry

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

I have NO idea why that posted twice.

#6 General Comment

People overpay for Junk

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Why not go to either Goodwill, a flea market or Used furniture store, buy some durable but cheap thing (Like a dining Table and chairs) PAY CASH, then use it until you can buy better, NO CREDIT, the Rent-to Own Stores WILL screw you.

Been there done that.

Good idea

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

You wouldn't have late fees if you paid on time.  Good idea, save for what you want instead of financing.

Oh and its Pulaski not Palaski.

Good decision

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

There MAY be a few good reasons to use these companies but in almost all cases you would definitely be far better off being patient and saving up.

It will be much cheaper and you'll feel a lot better about it.  Good decision, I hope other people learn from your experience and take your advice.