Complaint Review: RAC - Rent A Center

• Reported By: Juanjo — Indiana United States of America
RAC - Rent A Center
orange street evansville, Indiana United States of America

RAC - Rent A Center Standard Distreatment......Loophole? evansville, Indiana

*Consumer Comment: unique, i guess lol

I have a bit of a unique problem, I've searched alot of sites and have come up with nothing.  I rented 2 tv's and a computer from RaC.  I paid on all of them for about 6 months.  While i decided to take up the task of repainting the interior walls of my house I had placed the tv's along with other items of value in the middle of the floor as to not get paint on them.  In moving a book shelf,  it tipped over and landed right on top of the tv's.  Breaking them, the computer was fine.  I called RaC and asked if they were covered by the "RaC insurance", they said no, that chould be covered by your homowners(which was cancelled about two months prior).  So, I took them to a guy I know who said he would try and fix them.  Three days later I wind up in the hospital and am there for 19 days.  I called rent a center since they had been bugging my friends and family non stop while i was in.  I told them that a repair guy i know had pieced them back together but had to use different casings and screens, but that they look brand new and i would return them. To wrap this up....they said they didn't want them because they had to be original serial numbers and that they were going to "start legal proceedings" against me.  What can I be charged with?  Secondly, if I can get in trouble is this a loophole?  I picked out the stuff in store that day and was going to pick up the items after work.....I had filled everything out but forgot to sign the contract,i had to stay after and wouldn't be there before they closed,so i asked the RaC lady if my friend could pick them up, she said yes.  When my friend got there they had her sign my name to contract, i never signed it. Just wondering, any input would be helpful.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/07/2010 05:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RAC-Rent-A-Center/evansville-Indiana-/RAC-Rent-A-Center-Standard-DistreatmentLoophole-evansville-Indiana-611042. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RAC - Rent A Center

unique, i guess lol

AUTHOR: Harold - (Canada)

if you rented a car and totalled it, got it fixed then tried to return it, do you think the rental agency would take it back lol. if they still work then just pay them off and be done with it. it is commendable that you at least got them fixed and were up front about it( that's what i find most unique about your story lol).