Complaint Review: RCN Chicago

• Submitted: Thu, January 12, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, January 12, 2006

• Reported By:Chicago Illinois
RCN Chicago
350 N Orleans Ste 600 Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Phone: 312-955-2100
  • Web:
  • Category: Cable TV

RCN Corporation - RCN Chicago ripoff dishonest fraudulent billing withdrawal from account Chicago Illinois

I signed up for RCN cable on December 12. I was told during the conversation with the sales representative that the bundle I was being offered costs $45.00. I was also asked to setup direct debit or pay about $90.00 setup fees. I setup direct debit so that I would pay only the monthly service fees. In January, I was billed an additional $166.86. When I called to dispute the charge, I was sent back and forth from customer service to their financial service and eventually was asked to hold. I was placed on hold for over 2 hours. I eventually hanged up.

RCN claims the 166.86 was from a previous residence in 2003. RCN claims the residence was 4073 N. Kenmore Ave. I have setup 2 services with RCN since vacating my Kenmore Apartment. I have statements from RCN that show the 166.86 back in April of 2003. I talked to an RCN representative back in May of 2003. Since then I have had statements from RCN without the bill. They claim part of the bill involves not returning their equipment. I returned their equipment to their address on Fullerton.

I had an account with RCN again from may of 2004 till april of 2005 when I switched to Comcast because comcast had a better deal. There was no mention of the 166.86 during the entire year.

When I called to setup my account with RCN in December of 2005, there was still no mention of a past due balance of $166.86. I was told only $45 plus tax would be withdrawn each month. I received no notice of the debit until after the amount was withdrawn from my account.

I tried several times to dispute the charge and was placed on hold for over 2 hours.

Kwabena
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/12/2006 05:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RCN-Chicago/Chicago-Illinois-60610/RCN-Corporation-RCN-Chicago-ripoff-dishonest-fraudulent-billing-withdrawal-from-account-171538. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RCN Chicago