Complaint Review: RCN

• Submitted: Fri, November 28, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, November 28, 2008

• Reported By:Natick Massachusetts
RCN
www.rcn.com Herndon, Virginia U.S.A.
  • Phone: 703 -434-8200
  • Web:
  • Category: Cable TV

RCN - Boston RCN Billing Error resulted in $700 draft out of checking account. Has not returned it over 30 days. Herndon Virginia

In October, RCN took over an unauthorized draft of $700 out of my bank account. The billing error was for equipment that was already returned. This has caused significant hardship for my family.

I had gotten a bill for the $700 amount before the draft, and when I called RCN I was assured that I would not be billed for it and that it showed on my account that the equipment was returned. Sure enough, a few days after the due date on the bill, there was an unauthorized draft on my bank account from RCN. I have been on the phone with customer care at RCN for hours trying to get my money back. Every time I speak with them they say it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get my money back. I have faxed them my bank statements along with their own billing statements to me (this amazes me), and still nothing.

It has been over a month and I still don't have my money. Sprint did this to me for over $700 once and I filed a suit against them. It was the only way to get my money back. It seems that RCN plays the same tactics with billing errors and doesn't care how it hurts the consumer. Of course, we know that the companies hold the money for interest and only give it back when they absolutely have to. This kind of business scam should be extremely illegal and should result huge fines for the company. It is unethical and hurts consumers.

I have filed complaints for this kind of scam with the Massachusetts attorney general, my congressman, the FTC, the FCC, and the BBB, and only the BBB got back to me. I think the FTC needs to look into this billing practice and outlaw it in the United States.

K72771
Natick, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2008 01:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RCN/Herndon-Virginia-20170/RCN-Boston-RCN-Billing-Error-resulted-in-700-draft-out-of-checking-account-Has-not-ret-395763. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RCN