Complaint Review: RCN

• Submitted: Wed, April 29, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, April 29, 2009

• Reported By:Allentown Pennsylvania
RCN
Avenue C, Bethlehem Pennsylvania Nationwide U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-ringrcn
  • Web:
  • Category: Cable TV

RCN RCN - Deceptive practices and billing issues unresovled. Formal complaints filed Allentown/Bethlehem, PA Nationwide

I have been a customer of RCN for 8 years. Not by choice mind you. I was stuck with them.

On April 6, 2009 I called RCN. I had found out I was taking a pay cut and wanted to find out what options I had for lowering my bill. I was very clear that I didn't want anything to change and I just wanted to know what my options were. After being on hold for over 20 minutes I spoke to a woman that sat and typed for an additional 20 minutes. I asked her what she was doing and she said "hold one moment" and she continued typing. She then says "ok your bill is down to $86". I asked her what I lost, she said nothing she applied promotional codes to my account.

On April 7, 2009 I lost all channels above channel 100. I called (11pm at night) and tech support checked my account, my bill, and reset my cable box.. nothing.. so they scheduled a service call for me the next day... between 8am and noon.

On April 8, 2009 I made arrangments to be home and sure enough the techs arrived. They were at my house for all of 4 minutes (that's being generous). They let me know that the Digital Teir was shut off that's why I had nothing above 100 and now I had to call customer service to get it back.
I got on the phone and sat on hold for 35 minutes.

I finally go thru.

That is when they informed me that I had "an old package" and they can not return everything to the way it was. They reduced me from 7mb internet service to 5mb internet service and I lost a $20/month discount that was to be on my account for an additional 7 months.

My bill was now $20 higher than what I was originally paying.

I started looking for other options but there isn't much in the allentown area depending on where you live.

Five days.... yes only 5 days later I receive a notice from RCN in the mail that they are raising my rates again... an additional $10/month.

I had less service and was paying $30 more per month.

I had enough

I shut off the cable tv completely and shut off the telephone service completely. I am saving over $300/year by shutting off the telephone alone!!!!!!!! I am saving even more by going with satellite! I had to keep my cable modem service.

When I called to do the shut off they wanted to know what happend. I told them and even the girl on the phone couldn't believe it. She found a promotion code to put on my account so I can save a bit on the Cable service.

I am now a proude Skype customer and a proude Dish Network customer!

I filled complaints with RCN and was told "sorry we can't help you"

I then filled a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the attorney generals office of the state of Pennsylvania. I am currently going thru a complain with the FCC.

When I say I've had enough.... .I've had enough.

For 8 years I've put up with garbage with RCN... no more.

Had enough
Allentown, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/29/2009 08:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RCN/nationwide/RCN-RCN-Deceptive-practices-and-billing-issues-unresovled-Formal-complaints-filed-Allen-447609. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RCN