Complaint Review: REGISTER.com

• Submitted: Mon, February 04, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, February 04, 2008

• Reported By:Medford Oregon
register.com Internet, Nevada U.S.A.

REGISTER.com unauthorized bank charges - forced renewal of the domain name Internet Nevada

Same as earlier reports, I discovered the $34.99 charge on my credit card - called them up - they added this "feature" to automatically bill you for your next renewal with getting permission... I got multiple emails and cell phone calls (also illegal) asking me to renew - which I said "no" and had to ask them to quit calling me... now I see the bank charge I didn't authorize.

When I spoke to customer service on Saturday, they told me "Yes, we added that feature - didn't tell anyone. Some people think it is great to have their website automatically renewed - we thought you would too!" When I asked to get my money back, they said (of course) "That department isn't open on the weekend - you'll have to call back." So I asked "You could take my money today for a new website, but you can't fix your mistakes?" He answered, "That is correct."

It is now Monday morning, and I have been on hold for 40 minutes with the "Refund" department (want to bet it is one guy sitting in the basement?) - no hold music - just sales pitches for me to buy more stuff - over and over and over... don't get your domain name at Register.com - it is overpriced and a total ripoff...

P.S. I am still on hold - 45 minutes now...

Medford, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/04/2008 11:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/REGISTERcom/Internet-Nevada/REGISTERcom-unauthorized-bank-charges-forced-renewal-of-the-domain-name-Internet-Nevada-305957. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on REGISTER.com