Complaint Review: RENT A CENTER

• Submitted: Fri, January 06, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, January 06, 2012

• Reported By: Betzblue — Portland Tennessee U.S.A.
RENT A CENTER
507 S Broadway St Portland, Tennessee United States of America

RENT A CENTER Don't get ripped off, save your cash and buy a "new" one when you can. Portland , Tennessee

I had just moved into my own home, and was very short of cash. I needed a computer, and did not have any credit cards; So I (stupidly) decided to rent one from RENT A CENTER.  The HP Pavillion, All in One caught my eye as it had a decent size monitor, and no cumbersome tower to deal with. The young man who signed me up was polite and helpful. So I paid $152.00 each month for seven months, and then suddenly I was having problems with the computer. Could not log in; could not log out; black screens, BLUE SCREENS, Error messages...

So I called RAC and they told me to bring it in and they would check it out. ( By the way, the HP warranty expired 5 monyhs before I rented it). a week later, I was told to come pick it up. It had been checked, and a "factory restore" was done. ( I had no idea what that meant. ) Basically, all the programs that I had before , were not there any more. So I down loaded what I needed.

And two months later, it starts making a whining sound ( like it was fighting to take a breath) BLUE SCREENS popped up constantly, ERROR messages, Just horrible. I had it checked out by a computer pro, and he said my hard drive was fried.  I called RAC, as my final payment was due ...and told them I would not make the final payment until they FIXED the computer's hard drive.  They assured me they would send it out. A week later, I picked it up as they said a new hard drive had been installed. ( At the store it did turn on with no error msgs or blue screens)

But when I got it home??? The second day, the whining came back, the BLUE SCREENS popped up, and I know for a fact that it was another case of simple factory reset. NOT A  NEWHARD DRIVE. SO basically I paid close to $1850.00 for a computer that does not work. And on the HP web site, the same model BRAND NEW Never been used sells for $750.00. Can anyone say Caveat Emptor? (Let the Buyer Beware.) A painful and expensive lesson for me to learn. Just save $$ and pay cash for it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/06/2012 11:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RENT-A-CENTER/Portland-Tennessee-37148/RENT-A-CENTER-Dont-get-ripped-off-save-your-cash-and-buy-a-new-one-when-you-can-Port-818903. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RENT A CENTER