Complaint Review: RK Chevrolet Virginia Beach

• Submitted: Mon, June 13, 2005
  • Updated: Tue, December 12, 2006

• Reported By:Va Beach Virginia
RK Chevrolet Virginia Beach
rkchevrolet.com Virginia Beach, Virginia U.S.A.

RK Chevrolet Ripoff Misleading Information Virginia Beach Virginia

*Consumer Comment: RK Chevrolet

*Consumer Comment: Glad I Read This Web Site First

*Consumer Comment: Way to go, Michael did the smart thing

*Author of original report: Customer Service with Tom Kline

*Consumer Suggestion: How to go into this situation protected

*UPDATE Employee: We Would Like To Sell You A Truck

I had the chance to deal with these guys twice, both times I decided not to buy because of misleading information. First was with used car division and second with new car just this past weekend which I will discuss.

I drove buy the dealership to see a 2005 Silverado with a price on the window of 18,302. I stopped in because I was interested in this one vehicle. As one guy has already stated on here I could not get a confirmation on the price without insisting that I take it for a test drive.

I refused the test drive and began the process (with hesitation) of dealing, trade in value and all that. The price of the truck went from 18,302 to over 25,000 and them saying that this is the GM employee (deal going on now) price before any rebates which they would apply, total is now 22,000ish. I asked about the window price and the reply I received was that only applies (for several criteria he named, which no one would qualify for) its advertising and it got you in here didn't it. I got the figure for my trade after asking a few times, $500.

The blue book on the trade was over $1800, when I asked why so low and mentioned the KBB price the response I received was "KBB won't write you a check for that vehicle"

I din't deal with these guys anymore after that, I just left and will persue my purchase elsewhere. The problem I have with these guys is putting prices out there and then inflating them once you are in the showroom.

I have noticed that Tom Kline answers most of these reports with a standard message, don't bother Tom. If you want to satisfy me with 100% customer satisfaction, them sell me the truck that for the price clearly written on it and give me the KBB for my trade, otherwise I will buy from Colonial.

Va Beach, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/13/2005 06:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RK-Chevrolet-Virginia-Beach/Virginia-Beach-Virginia/RK-Chevrolet-Ripoff-Misleading-Information-Virginia-Beach-Virginia-146060. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RK Chevrolet Virginia Beach

RK Chevrolet

AUTHOR: Marisa - (U.S.A.)

You did well not doing business with them. They tried to rip me off when I was buying my first new car 14 years ago. They have been blacklisted by the Navy in the past and do not have a good reputations with other dealerships or at any of the Finance companies I have worked for.

Glad I Read This Web Site First

AUTHOR: Joanne - (U.S.A.)

RK Chevrolet has so many items in here...it's a good thing I looked on the internet first before buying. I saw a car they were selling and was interested in getting, but after seeing all these bad reviews I'm going to stay clear.

Way to go, Michael did the smart thing

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

You are the first person I have seen here that did the smart thing and walked away when you smelled something that just wasn't right.

I have no idea if the situation was legitimately someone attempting to scam, or an honest mistake at the dealership, but who cares? If more people would take the time to sit back and think, they would do exactly what you have done and walk away. There was nothing requiring you to buy from this dealership.

Customer Service with Tom Kline

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

After my initial post I was contacted by Tom Kline. Very nice individual and seemed to be genuinely concerned about the problems that I had while at the dealership.

After talking with Tom and giving him some basic information he told me that he would look into the concerns that I had. He called me back the next day as he said he would and we talked for a few.

I decided not to buy a vehicle at all from anyone at this time. In the future when I do decide to buy I will call Tom and give them first shot because of the way he handled it with me.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

How to go into this situation protected

AUTHOR: Pamala - (U.S.A.)

I have worked at dealerships and they all operate pretty much the same. What you saw in the window of that truck was definately a ploy to get you to come in. The same thing goes with newspaper ads, radio spots, and tv ads. There are always a long list of rebates which deduct large sums of money off of advertised prices (lease loyalty, college grad, member of realtor's assoc., etc.). Everybody also knows that there is a TON of small print associated with these adds but still tend to ignore the issue. Advertised prices for used cars are 99.9% true. You just have to get to it before someone else does.

One thing auto dealers have to contend with these days is the "educated buyer". The internet has the prices of anything you want in any part of the country. I can tell you now that if you are looking at ANY new car or truck, then you will be paying $20k or more unless it is a small car or KIA type brand.

To sum it all up, DO YOUR HOMEWORK before car shopping. If all of my customers had followed these few steps then I would have had a lot less stress, made more money, and could have sold a lot more cars.

1. Go to your bank first for a pre-approval. That way the negotiation is limited to the available funds. Money talks.

2. Sell your own trade. You will never get what you think your car is worth. NADA makes the call and not KBB. You may think your car runs well but I have seen some heavy shop bills from trades we gave good money for.

3. Be nice to the salesman. They have to earn a living. Not all car salesmen are bad people. Most of them have defended the country you live in. If you go to a car lot, then be prepared to be greeted. You would not go to Red Lobster and prepare your own meal. Let the salesperson do their job and you'll enjoy your experience a lot more.

4. If you find a deal that fits you, then take it and don't "think about it". It frustrates the salesperson. They spend a lot of time trying to get you to come back in only to find that the customer has purchased elsewhere. If you have a good experience all around then buy the dang car.

5. If saving $5k - $8k interests you then just buy a slightly used vehicle. Be mindful of the miles and you can't go wrong.

Thank you for your time.

We Would Like To Sell You A Truck

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

Dear Michael,
I am sorry that the numbers weren't right for you on your first visit. I'd like to see if we can sell you the truck, at the price that you think that you deserve. Please email me how I can get in touch with you. My email address is tomkline@rkchevy.com. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Tom Kline, Controller