lying

• Updated: Tue, February 12, 2013

• Reported By: matt — san diego California United States of America
ROCK STAR GALLERY
15220 N. Scottsdale Rd Suite 160 SCOTTSDALE, Arizona United States of America

ROCK STAR GALLERY MICHAEL DUNN SOLD ME FRAUDULENT/FORGED NIRVAN MEMORABILIA ($17,500 WORTH) SCOTTSDALE, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: mike Dunn, rock star gallery

*Consumer Comment: This guy is obviously lying

*Author of original report: Rockstar Gallery makes it impossible to get your "guaranteed" refund

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: ROCK STAR gallery, RESPONSE TO DISHONEST REVIEW

My fiance wanted to buy me a wedding gift that would blow me away.  Knowing I'm a huge fan of the band Nirvana, she did a web search and found a dealer selling a display of Nirvana memorabilia.  There's a Fender guitar, several album flats, and a bass drum head all autographed by the band.

While I was immediately concerned with the lack of any provenance of certificate of authenticity (other than the one he prints himself), I didn't want to hurt my fiance's feelings so I kept my mouth shut.

Recently, we decided we wanted to sell the display, and sell it quickly.  We paid $17,500 for the item and I listed it on EBAY for only $10,000.  Before listing the item on ebay, I also contacted the owner to see if he would be interested in buying the display back at a bargain price so that he could re-sell it for even more profit.  WHile I'm waiting for the owner's response, I get an email on ebay asking for documentation on the item.  I told him that while I did have documentation, I expected a lot of tire kickers in an auction like this.  I asked for a $100 refundable deposit to scan in all the relevant documents.  He said he would get back to me.  Instead, what he did was copy my pics from ebay and send them to PSA/DNA for verification.  They deemed the entire piece fraudulent.  Not only did ebay remove my listing, but I am forbidden to relist it. WHere else would one sell an item like this???

I confronted the owner of the gallery.  He has every excuse you can imagine.  He knew he was dealing with a 27 year old girl that knew nothing about buying anything like this and took total advantage of her.  I wonder how he sleeps at night.  I am currently in the process of hiring a forensic document examiner and attorney,

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2011 10:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ROCK-STAR-GALLERY/SCOTTSDALE-Arizona-85254/ROCK-STAR-GALLERY-MICHAEL-DUNN-SOLD-ME-FRAUDULENTFORGED-NIRVAN-MEMORABILIA-17500-WORTH-786824. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ROCK STAR GALLERY

mike Dunn, rock star gallery

AUTHOR: Danny - ()

MIKE DUNN AND ROCKSTAR GALLERY ARE NOT RIP OFFS. I have been dealing with him for years and all my collectables are real. This dope is pissed off because his wife to be broke up with him. If you want real collectables, that are real go to rockstar gallerys.

Danny

This guy is obviously lying

AUTHOR: Buzz - (United States of America)

This guy is obviously lying since he posted this item on Ebay and said the exact opposite of what he just stated. Now he is selling it and claims it is authentic. All I can say is that he has lied on this report.

Rockstar Gallery makes it impossible to get your "guaranteed" refund

AUTHOR: musicmannsd - (United States of America)

In Mr. Dunn's response, you'll notice that instead of sticking to the facts, he repeatedly hides behind
the company policy of only dealing with the purchaser of the item.  He's THE OWNER.  HE SETS THE POLICY.  Not only that, if he wanted to speak to my fiance so badly he'd pick up the phone and call her, or email her; because of course he has all this information on file from the sale of the item.  Mr. Dunn could deal with me man to man.  But he won't. He wants to deal with the 27 year old girl that knew nothing about his reputation in the industry, nothing about the memorabilia industry in general, and had no business whatsoever spending this kind of money without any sort of provenance or 3rd party verification.  When you ask Mr. Dunn where he got all these amazing"one of a kind" pieces, he gets cagey and mysterious.  "I got some of it from their roadies and some from a person I can't name (of course he can't).

Since my initial complaint a lot has happened.,  I've sent the item to a well respected memorabilia examiner.  Surprise, surprise the report comes back as "not likely to be genuine".  Here's where it gets really interesting.  Mr. Dunn did give us a COA (certificate of authenticity).  One he GENERATED
HIMSELF.  When you deal with a legitimate dealer, there's a provenance of the item and its authenticity is verified by a 3rd party-NOT BY THE SELLER! It's a conflict of interest.  Mr Dunn knows it,  and its common practice in the legitimate memorabilia iondustry.  The COA reassuringly reads that there is a lifetime refund guarantee if the item is deemed not to be authentic "by a court approved forensic document examiner".  Sounds fair, right?  Sure, until you speak to a forensic document esaminer and he tells you that those type of examiners don't authenticate celebrity signatures.  This gentleman told me that well over 90% of memorabilia items for sale are fakes.  I was told that since it is so difficult to find a known example of a celebrity signature, forensic document examiners do not do this type of work.  Mr. Dunn has cleverly worded his guarantee so that it guarantees nothing.  Unbelievable, right?  When I told the forensic guy about the phrasing of the COA he was incredulous.

After speaking to several dealers and industry experts, I find out this guy has a terrible reputation in the industry.  So what options do I have left?  We now have to take this guy to court.  And it's far from cheap. To have each signature authenticated costs around a hundred bucks.  There are 18 signatures to be verified.  The piece weighs well over a hundred pounds and costs several hundred dollars to ship each way.  So start with the price of the piece, add in the expert's fees, add in the shipping costs, plus our and his attorney's fees, plus mental anguish......we're talking $50,000 here easy.  Think about it:  If you were a legitimate dealer in this industry and a customer who had spent a substantial amount of money with you came to you with concerns that the item was a fraud, what would you do?  I'd give them their money back immediately if there were even the slightest bit of evidence of fraud, knowing that these are the people with the means to be a customer again.  You'd bend over backwards and treat your customers fairly, right?  Mr. Dunn says, "I only speak to the purchaser" and bad mouths other dealers and experts in the industry by saying "they hate me.  They knew the piece was one of mine and that's why they're saying its a fake, because they dont like me.  Why would they hate you, Mike?  Why do the industry leaders in memorabilia authentication have it out for you??

So now Mr. Dunn has forced our hand and we must sue him.  The reason I posted this report is so that someone who may be considering buying a piece of memorabilia from Mr. Dunn, or any other dealer, may read this and do extensive due dilligence before completing the sale.  Here are a few lessons weve learned the hard way:

1. Never accept a COA generated by the seller.  If you don't have a 3rd party expert verify the piece, it is considered worthless-literally worthless.

2. Ask to speak to the dealers customers to gauge their satisfaction.  A legitimate business will have no issue doing this.

3. ALWAYS insist the item in question be verified by a 3rd party.  Once again, legitimate dealers have no problem with this, IF THEY HAVEN'T DONE IT ALREADY THEMSELVES!

In short, in the memorabilia market the watchword is caveat emptor;  Big time.  Call around and talk to other dealers about the person you're considering doing business with.  I admit it.  We were so stupid and naive.  If we would've done the slightest bit of due dilligence we wouldn't be stuck with a worthless piece.

So Mr. Dunn leaves us no choice.  We will send the item out to a couple of other experts to have them look the item over-just so that when we get to court there's absolutely no question there was fraud here.  Thank God we're fortunate to have the means to do all this.  If this were the average person, they'd have saved for years and years to buy something like this, only to find out its fake and you're out 20 grand.  Would they have the money to send it to 3 experts for verification (at almost 2k a pop) and hire an attorney to get their money back?  Probably not.  That's why I'm writing this report.  Someone has to teach this guy a lesson and put the word out that you must do your homework before purchasing a piece of memorabilia.  I'm not saying he knew the items were fake.  There's no way we can know that.  But when he first was notified there were issues with authenticity, what do you think he did? Offer to refund our money?  Say maybe he made a mistake?  Nope.  Not even close.  Essentially he told me to pound sand.  And here's the kicker:  he was going to "do me a favor" and put me in touch with a guy who would maybe pay 6k for the guitar...lol.  It would be hilarious if it weren't true.  But this is how this guy operates.  And did I send him a nasty e-mail?  You're damned right I did.  But don't be taken in by his spin. I was threatening him with legal action.  Certainly not physical harm.  We don't live in the same city, he's gotta be in his 60's and I'm in my late 30's-certainly not a recipe for a physical altercation.  He's an old man. So there you have it, folks.  That's what dealing with Michael Dunn from rockstargallery.net.

Remember....CAVEAT EMPTOR!

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

ROCK STAR gallery, RESPONSE TO DISHONEST REVIEW

AUTHOR: rockstar - (United States of America)

I have read the complaint and also received a few emails from Mr. Parker.  During the conversation to even explain and educate Mr. Parker, he became very angry, cursed and hung up on me.

Mr. Parker is not the person on record as purchasing this collectible from us so only general information was being shared with Mr. Parker.  He claims he received as a gift and is in need of funds atThis time.

He placed it on a site to sell it and supposedly had a company say it was not authentic.  There are several problems with this complaint and I have listed them below.  Ultimately, the piece in
Question is 100% authentic as sold.  I understand these are hard economic times for people, but this dishonesty and threatening behavior exhibited by Mr. Parker is unacceptable.

1.       We do not show Mr. Parket as the rightful owner and therefore any return policy regardless of the reason would not be within our written company policy.

2.        He states he received this as a gift from an Ex fiance(listed in his emails) and she has nothing to do with this transaction at this time.  We have no proof or confirmation that Mr.

Parker is the legal owner of this piece.  There has been no receipt or paperwork shown and we have not confirmed that it is 100% the item that was purchased from our company.

3.        Based on our written authentication and return policy which is written on our website, receipt as well as our Certificate of Authenticity, the only person who would have any recourse

Is the person of record of purchase.  Any information regarding the person who made the purchase is confidential.  Any information regarding this purchase without the consent of the

owner of record is also confidential.

4.       Mr. Parker has sent threatening emails in which we take very seriously.  He then sent another email after his obvious threat to say he did not mean bodily injury, however, in these unpredictable

times, such threats should be taken seriously and we are in the process of notifying his local authorities and perhaps employer.

5.       ROCK STAR gallery is a reputable in-store as well as online gallery.  Due dilligence to ensure our credibility and honest practices have been taken by many of the celebrity artist, world renown    photographers, gallery high profile guests and informed collectors.  We have an A with the Better Business Bureau and have enjoyed many years of educating and assisting informed collectors

With their artwork, photography and signed collectibles.

6.       Mr. Parker did not have this piece authenticated by a qualified forensic examiner, but a company who only reviewed the hard to read signatures via email.  This is not the acceptable

authenticity examination process recognized in the industry and supported by the United States Courts.  The person who purchased this piece has the proper documentation of authenticity.

7.       We are also in the process of notifying the purchaser of this piece to inform them of this attempted transaction.

8.       During my conversation with Mr. Parker, I did make an offer to purchase it from him as I have a very good, knowledgeable and informed collector who would appreciate this piece.  My customer

made a below market value offer as many are doing in these times, but Mr. Parker refused and then unprofessionally, hung up the phone on me.  After consideration of re-purchasing it for my

client, I realized this would not be a viable transaction without the purchaser on records authorization to sell the piece and then any proceeds would be given to the person on record.

At this time, I would think Mr. Parker should be investigated and  noted for being a potentially harmful person. Hopefully not, as perhaps he is just going through difficult times.

Email from Mr. Parker:

From: matt]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:02 PM
To: Rock Star gallery
Subject: Re: Inquiry

I'd watch my back if I were you, mike. I'm not like the average sucker you're used to dealing with. There will be repercussions for you one way or the other. But I'm fair. We'll try court first. And for your sake, I hope it all works out. The person that should make anyone nervous is one with nothing to lose. You haven't heard the last of me.

Sent on the Sprint Now Network from my BlackBerry

My response to the above email:

From: "Rock Star gallery" <info@rockstargallery.net>

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 20:58:45 -0700

To: <matt

Subject: RE: Inquiry

Matt,

I promise, we will not take your threat lightly.  I have offered you my help because I have a good client I wanted to help and the Nirvana collectible would have been great for him.

At this point, per our gallery policy and Certificate of Authenticity, the only person that we work with would be the person who purchased the piece.  We do not have you listed as a client, but

have another client registered with this collectible.  We work with the original purchaser with the original receipt.  If there is a question of authenticity, it needs to be reviewed by a court approved

forensic examiner, not a self-proclaimed expert company.  Again, this only applies to the original owner/person who paid for the item.

We stand behind the authenticity of this piece and behind the excellent reputation that we have built. Your assumptions regarding our company are wrong and we deal with very knowledgeable collectors every day.   Any negotiations of purchases of this item back for the basis of resale only, would need to be conducted through the original purchaser.

Regards,