• Report: #220410

• Submitted: Mon, November 13, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, December 20, 2008

• Reported By:FARMINGTON HILLS Michigan
ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISE LINES
1050 CARIBBEAN WAY MIAMI, FLORIDA U.S.A.

ROYAL CARRIBEAN CRUISE LINES kept mydeposit of $1,000.00 and said that I never cancelled my reservation. MIAMI, FLORIDA

*Consumer Comment: Use a Qualified Cruise Specialist

*Consumer Comment: She may get her deposit back

*Consumer Comment: Read your travel documents

I made 2 reservations with royal caribbean cruise lines in July 2006. I cancelled both reservations in September 2006. I have the cancellation number. One day last week i received a message from Royal Caribbean on my answering machine saying that the reservation for my children Jessica and Allison need to be payed for now on the december 16th Jewel Cruise Ship. I called the 800 number and they couldn't find any reservastion in my name.

Today, November 13th, I get another call on my machine and call the 800 number, again they can't find my name. I asked to speak to customer service and they connected me to Johnny, who wouldn't listen to reason. I told him that I had the cancellation number from the otbher cruise that I cancelled. He never looked it up and said he was keeping my deposit. I said don't you think that maybe someone from your company could make a mistake? He said that it was out of the question and that I was losing my deposits on both rooms. Each room has a $500.00 deposit. He was rude and unreasonable!!!
Thanks for helping with this horrible situation.

Judy
FARMINGTON HILLS, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/13/2006 05:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ROYAL-CARIBBEAN-CRUISE-LINES/MIAMI-FLORIDA-33132/ROYAL-CARRIBEAN-CRUISE-LINES-kept-mydeposit-of-100000-and-said-that-I-never-cancelled-m-220410. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISE LINES

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

I disagree with your information on a travel agent. When I had problems with a cruise line, I was told that because I went through a travel agent, I had to deal with them and not the cruise line. The agent, of course, was not going to refund me anything. I have NEVER dealt with an agent since. When you deal directly with the cruise lines, your complaints can go directly to them and they will listen. With an agent, the cruise lines will direct you back to them because they are the ones who booked and paid for the trip. I think you are giving bad advise.

Use a Qualified Cruise Specialist

AUTHOR: Dabee - (U.S.A.)

I always figure that in today's world of busy people, only those with lots of time on their hands would book their own travel. Why not use a travel agent? They are your advocate when problems arise and they take care of all the big and small details for you....that's their job. Why in the world would you want the hassles of contacting a cruise line or travel suppler (especially when something goes wrong)? What do you think carries more weight with the supplier: Your threat of "I won't travel with you again" OR a travel agent who says "I bring you X amount of clients or $'s in business each year and this is unacceptable?"

She may get her deposit back

AUTHOR: Doug - (Canada)

If she canceled earlier than 70 days prior to sailing she should definitely have her deposit returned. I'm booked to cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship in January, and my final payment was due the beginning of November.

She is saying that her cruise date was for December and she canceled in September that would be before 70 days and she in entitled to everything being returned. I don't understand why they wouldn't give you your deposits back, that is standard policy for all cruise lines.

If you call back to customer service you'll probably be able to speak with someone else who may be more willing to help you. I know even in trying to call in for my final deposit and add transfers it was as if no one knew how to go about TAKING OUR MONEY to pay for our trip.

Good luck in getting your deposit back.

Read your travel documents

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Just because you have a "cancellation number" does not mean that you get your non-refundable deposit back.

It is written in your documents as clear as day.

There is no rip off here.