Complaint Review: Radio Shack

• Submitted: Thu, February 28, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, October 19, 2010

• Reported By:Millville New Jersey
Radio Shack
PO Box 650001, El Paso, Texas U.S.A.

Radio Shack Rebate for Motorala Bluetooth prepaid $ 20.00 Mastercard, cost more in mailing expenses and you still don't receive it. El Paso Texas

*Consumer Comment: ESPs and Rebates

*UPDATE Employee: To Charles...

*Consumer Comment: Where Is kevin at know still helping radio shack scam people and defraud the public

*Consumer Comment: I am not going to argue

*UPDATE Employee: Charles, when will you learn?

*Consumer Comment: Kevin is very unprofessional

*Consumer Comment: I see radio shack will never learn

*Consumer Comment: Kevin you need more training in custormer service cause you are unprofessional

*Consumer Comment: To kevin

*UPDATE Employee: Next time, follow the instructions.....

*Consumer Comment: Radio shack treated me the same way

*Consumer Suggestion: Rebate Tips....

*Consumer Comment: Jean it is time for RIP OFF REVENGE!!! Julian Day is CEO of Radio Shack. Shouldn't Radio Shack be treating customers better than this?

I received printed receipts from Radio Shack for two separte $ 20.00 rebates you are allowed to get up to three. They were sent the day I purchased them with all required documents, UPCs, receipts preprinted store forms.

I receive one $ 20.00 card in the mail, and a post card on 1-15-2008 saying they did not get the receipt on the 2nd one, they were all in the same envelope.

They sent me a confirmation that they received them both via email, they sent me a re-submission form that I had til 2-2-2008 to re-sumbit, I sent it back on 1-15-2008 by certified mail, I received a post card today that said I was out of time.

Everything was sent on time, and the re-submission was only copies as they already received the originals.

When you try to call the company and press zero for operator you are hung up on this went on for over an hour of trying. I finally gave up.

It has cost me more in mailing and time than the rebate is worth, but they should not get away with it, just as a matter of principal.

This is surely some kind of RIP OFF.

Jean
Millville, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2008 06:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Radio-Shack/El-Paso-Texas-88565-0001/Radio-Shack-Rebate-for-Motorala-Bluetooth-prepaid-2000-Mastercard-cost-more-in-mailing-313116. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Radio Shack

ESPs and Rebates

AUTHOR: OHara - (United States of America)

There have been two topics brought up in this thread I think need some further explanation, rebates and Extended Service Plans (ESPs).

Rebates are popular with manufacturers because they know consumers will buy their product fully intending to send the rebate request in but only a small percentage actually will.  This allows them to make many more sales AND keep their profit levels up.

Just be sure to send the rebate forms in per all instructions to thwart this practice.

By the way, most of these rebate programs are handled by outside companies who have no interest in cheating you out of your rebate.  BUT, they are given strict instructions that they must follow all rules laid out on the rebate form.  Miss just one rule and you may not get your rebate!  That's their job!

The other topic is ESPs.  When you buy a product with a 1 year warranty and buy a two year ESP, you are only buying an additional year of warranty coverage.  The ESP starts on the day of purchase and instead of getting 3 years of coverage, your total warranty coverage is 2 years.

This sounds deceptive to me and I know the higher ups at Radio Shack are aware of this.  The consumers/customers at Radio Shack do not realize it unless the salesman tells them.  I told every customer that this was the case and as far as I can remember, I only sold one ESP in the year and a half with Radio Shack.

Consumer electronics are very reliable and long lived for the most part.  The ESP is very profitable for Radio Shack and all other retailers who offer them.  I personally have never purchased an ESP and don't think I ever will.  I'm willing to take the risk.  It's far better odds as a gamble.

To Charles...

AUTHOR: Andrew P. - (USA)

I'm not going to say who is right or who is wrong in this situation because I don't have all the facts.  However, both of you are acting like children on here and that's why people will discount what you are saying and won't believe you.

As a Radio Shack employee, there are things I don't agree with business-wise that we do.  Then again, I can say the same thing about Best Buy and pretty much every other for-profit business out there.  While customer service is important to them, profit is the main focus.  That's how the economy works.

Now since I don't know the situation with you and your phone, let me describe what the warranties cover and what they don't, then  you can tell me which this case falls into.

For cell phones, Radio Shack warranties only cover normal wear and tear, such as keys failing to work after prolonged use, manufacturer's defects, such as opening a flip phone and the screen not turning on, and battery replacement if the battery either won't hold it's charge at all, or even won't hold it as long.  This is covered for two years if you purchase the Radio Shack warranty.  However, you also said you had a Sprint warranty (I think?).  While I'm not sure what their policy was back when you had this problem, for the last few years, they have an insurance plan for $7 per month that would cover the replacement of any phone due to theft, loss, water damage, defect, or dropping the phone.  It does require a $50 deductible for non-smart phones and $100 for smart phones however.

Now, blaming Radio Shack for not replacing a phone for reasons covered by the warranty is understandable.  However, blaming Radio Shack for being sent a phone that just happened to be defective is rediculous.  What do you think happened?  Radio Shack payed discount prices for a few thousand defective phones?  Basic phones are sold for free very frequently because it doesn't cost Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. very much for the phone itself.  They make their money from customers paying their bills, so they can sell the phone for free.  For smart phones, you can even get $600 phones for under $50 due to this reason.  The price doesn't have anything to do with a phone being defective.  The prices for phones is reduced dramatically as new model phones are made by manufacturers to replace the old.  Hell, the iPhone 3G was being sold for under $100 a few months ago when it used to be $300 before that.

The one thing I can't stand in this debate between you two is putting the blame completely on companies for problems that come up.  In customer service, the customer is always right, even when they're wrong.  However, in the REAL WORLD, customers have to take some responsibility for some problems.  I'm not saying this is the case here or not, as I previously noted that I don't have all that information.  However, I've had enough people that I've dealt with directly who "bend" the truth to try and take advantage of companies.

For example, nearly 3 months ago, a customer purchased a Samsung Instinct from my store.  He had purchased a warranty (from me) after being told that the warranty would cover manufacturer defects, battery replacement, and wear-and-tear.  I even specifically told him that it wouldn't cover if the phone was physically damaged, damaged by water, if it was stolen, or lost.  He said that was fine, because he takes great care of his phones.  I sold him the phone and the warranty and things seemed to be fine.  Nearly 3 weeks later, the customer came back in the store and tried to return the phone telling us that it didn't work.  When we lifted up the battery, there was still bits of water in it.  We told him that because the phone was damaged by water, it wasn't able to be returned.  He told us that it was within the first 30 days, so regardless, we had to take it back.  This of course is false.  If the phone had been defective or had been in good condition, we could have taken it back and canceled the contract.  Well, the customer made a big fuss, said Sprint told us we needed to give the money back for the phone.  However, when we called Sprint, of course, they had no idea that the phone had been damaged.  They were told by the customer that the phone just stopped working on its own.  After having the customer come in on 3 different occassions to yell at us, eventually, our district manager gave my manager the okay to take the phone back.  However, the customer had somehow gotten it into his head that if he broke the phone more, we would have to take it back.  When he came in, he had shattered the screen of the phone...  At that point, we told him there was nothing else we could do for him.

In this previous case, I don't think that it was my fault or Radio Shack's fault that this situation happened.  The consumer IS sometimes wrong.  Radio Shack even went out of its way and was willing to replace the phone even after finding out it had water damage (which is not covered).  It was not Radio Shack's fault that the customer declined Sprint's insurance plan (after being told what it covered), that the customer dropped the phone into water (which was explained that it wasn't covered), or that the customer somehow thought shattering the screen of his own phone would require us to take it back.

On this issue of this economy, there are many people to blame.  The government for having the legislation that allowed it, the companies for taking advantage of it, and the customers/investors for taking the risk.  The housing market sums it up perfectly.  Government made it easier for people to get loans for housing.  Banks got greedy and allowed customers who couldn't afford houses (or the houses they were looking at) to get loans for houses and pay next to nothing (or nothing) up front.  And people were just retarded and took a huge risk by buying houses they couldn't afford if things went bad.  It's like going to Vegas, gambling all your money on a hand of cards, losing, then wanting your money back.  Sorry, maybe you shouldn't have gambled all your money.

Sorry about that, but it makes me upset when people try to blame all their problems on others instead of taking responsibility for their mistakes.  Once again, I'm not saying this about you, just about your comment saying that it's companies like Radio Shack that have the economy the way it is.  It takes idiot consumers waving around money as well as companies taking advantage of it to screw up an economy.

AUTHOR: Charles - (USA)

Where Is kevin at know still helping radio shack scam and defraud the public.  Of couse people say my complaint Is BS because they can't stand It when I expose the "TRUTH".

Kevin Is defending radio shack like most employees do.  People ignore me because they want to bully & pick on me.  Look @ all the "INJUSTICES" they do to people.  Kevin Is the real "LOSER".

All I have done Is reported my bad experince & all I get told your report Is bogus,  or I am slandering & smearing the company.  I have nothing to "HIDE".  So kevin & to everyone else who has posted a bad comment.

I am not scared when you accuse me of being a deadbeat,  liar,  or anything else anyone has ever said to me.  Kevin must be scared why Is he In defense mode & attacking posters.  But people don't want to believe me FINE!.

I am not stupid like people think I am I wasn't born yesterday.  Hey kevin why don't you help custormers resolve what ever issues they are complaining.  Oh yeah you don't want to.

You & your company want to continue to "ABUSE" custormers & to steal & defraud the public.  I will never ever buy anything from radio shack again,  because of you kevin & the abusive & insulting things you said to me.

You just can't treat people anyway you want to & expect them,  to "FORGIVE" you. You just can't practice bad business abuse custormers & steal there money.  And personally insult them.  Like how you & everyone else has treated me.

Why do you think the economy Is such In a bad shape.  Because of crooks like kevin from radio shack who want to use & abuse custormers.

Hey kevin I hope obama does get that consumer protection consumers sure need It,  becaue business people like you kevin have been getting away with ABUSING & MISTREATING.  Custormers far to LONG!.  And It needs to be put a stop to.

And for us to be treated fairly.  Not ABUSED!.

I am not going to argue

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

I am not going to argue with you anymore kevin. You have proved to be the ignorant one & blaming me for everything when are you going to learn kevin & radio shack not to quit taking advantage of consumer's.

You are the reason kevin why I will never shop @ any radio shack you burned me once but you will never burn me again, I am sure radio shack will continue to burn innocent custormer's.

It's not worth it cause you will alway's blame I don't care anymore that Is how fed up I am with everything & being taken advantage of.

I am not going to waste anymore of my time on this good day.

Charles, when will you learn?

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

First and foremost, I apologize to the OP for wasting space with the comments I am about to make, however I refuse to tolerate Charles' idiotic remarks towards me along with his blatant lying. Please let me know if you were unable to get support from our helpline, by the way.

So, now I have to go over this with you AGAIN?????? Seriously, you're only making yourself look bad (as if that were even possible from looking at your own report)......

1. "When will radio shack employee's learn & sprint to stop taking advantage of people & coming to this website & attacking them like how you are treating me, radio shack know's they done me wrong I still will never do business with them."

2."Radio shack cannot admit they done me wrong & stole my money sold me a defective phone & then come to this website & talk to me like this. You will not admit that you have treated people wrong cheated them out of there warrenties will not honor warrenties you force people to pay."

3."Then you come to this website & talk hateful to people how do we really know you work for radio shack I have been taken advantage & lied to many time's & being talked from an ignorant person who work's @ radio shack, who think's they get away with everything."

Well???? Also, I'm pretty sure the ignorant one is you, not the SA.>

4."The reason why people don't pay attention to me cause they know I am right & they can't stand it just like how you can't stand it, people will see your posting's are full of BS. This is why these bad businesses get away with how they treat people right kevin? you know I am right to you result in name calling & insult's how professional in trying to get future custormer's. I have a right to comment."

5."Of course you will not admit that you find someway to blame the custormer for your wrong doing's & attack them like how you do on this website."

6."Kevin you need more training in custormer service cause your unprofessional comment's on this site prove's you do not care for custormer's, cause employee's these day's get away with talking, hateful to custormer's & insulting them when they come to this website. Future custormer's will see this kevin & people probally will not want to do business with you, with all the corruption these day's nothing will be done about hateful employee's like you kevin who alway's blame the custormer's for everything."

<*laughs* In the 1.5 years I've for RS, my manager's received over 80 positive comments from customers and 1 negative complaint. (*sarcasm* Yeah, my customer service skills must REALLY suck).>

7."Kevin is very unprofessional, he think's treating people like crap will keep radio shack in business well radio shack let's moron employee's like kevin & how he talk's to custormer's or former custormer's look @ his ugly remark's toward's me.
Radio shack & sprint have unprofessional employee's, alway's blame the custormer for everything steal people's money. I can see why radio shack was giving away those cell phone's for free they where defective & would mess up witnin 1 year.
If I ever see a offer for free cell phone's I will know the cell phone's the phone's are piece of crap, just like the piece of crap free cell phone I got from radio shack."

"Oh good grief

Grow up Charles - you brought this on yourself
Get off your pity pot get a job and a life - stop playing the victim, take responsibility for you actions and tell your mother to do the same
You opened yourself up to comments by posting
This is not a blog - This is a site to file real reports about being ripped off
You and mommy have not been ripped off
Get over it
You lose
Stacey"

Kevin is very unprofessional

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

I see radio shack will never learn

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

I see radio shack will never learn they have unprofessional employee's like kevin who do not know how to treat custormer's there rebuttal's prove that, the custormer is alway's wrong, they insult former custormer's like me.

Like I said kevin need's more training in custormer service, because kevin is a example how radio shack treat's people they do not honor there warrenties they steal people's money & when they have problem's with there phone they will not help you, you have to just take it has it is.

Kevin you need more training in custormer service cause you are unprofessional

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

What is wrong kevin are you mad cause I want fall for any of you lies or what everyone else say's I am tired of being screwed & taking advantage of from thug businesses like you, why can't you own up be a man & admit you take advantage of custormer's.

To kevin

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

And your insult's kevin will get you know where & your response will prove to future custormer's how bad you really are so keep it up, you are only hurting yourself & radio shack.

Next time, follow the instructions.....

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

The rebate terms usually clearly state to only send 1 rebate per envelope. Had you done this, you wouldnt've had the same problem.....I don't know how much of a help it'll be, but you can always try giving our helpline a call at 1-800-THE-SHACK....

And to Charles (not the OP), when will you finally realize that no one cares about your childish, attention-seeking posts? Go update your own report, why don't you? Oh, that's right, no one pays attention to it because almost everyone here realizes by now that everything you say is full of BS......................

Radio shack treated me the same way

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

Radio shack treated me the same way. I purchased a sprint cell phone from them they where giving these phones away for free later I would find out why they where giving them away for free.

I purchase two warrenties one for radio shack warrenty & a sprint replacement warrenty. After 1 year of having the phone I started having problem's with the screen it wasn't a color phone radio shack was selling defective phone's this is the reason why I believe they gave me such a hardtime in replacing the phone.

They told me to contact sprint that didn't help I got the phone 11/27/2002. The pnone's warrenty expired 11/27/2004 I reported the defect problem I had with radio shack, & sprint about the screen blanking out. I could not see the numbers I was dialing it was a piece of crap cell phone.

I decided I was not going to renew my contract for another two year's sense they refused to replace the piece of crap phone. I will never again purchase anything from radio shack.

#12 Consumer Suggestion

Rebate Tips....

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

When sending in rebates you have to follow the instructions EXACTLY, and NEVER send in more than one rebate per envelope.

"I received printed receipts from Radio Shack for two separte $ 20.00 rebates you are allowed to get up to three.....they were all in the same envelope."

This caused your problem. You said you got the first rebate, and they said they got the form for both(minus the 2nd receipt). These are just processing centers. The receipts you sent were probably attached to the first rebate, these people do not know to look for multiple rebates in the same envelope. If you had spent the extra $0.41 you probably would have gotten both with no issues.

Is this right what happened afterwards...No but is it something you could have avoided..Yes.

Now how much in pricipal do you want to push it. If you have all your paperwork, post cards, forms, certified mail receipts..etc showing you were in the time you could actually file a small claims case against them and have a solid chance of winning.

The other thing to do is talk to your local tv news station, most have reporters who try to expose frauds. This by itself probably does not go to the level of "fraud"(remember you did get one of the rebates), but they may feel they can turn up something.

Jean,

I am enclosing a copy of a message I just gave someone the other day with a very similar complaint with Radio Shack. Here it is below, demand your rebate, it is YOURS, YOU are entitled to it. It is your right to complain, and if the problems was dealt with you wouldn't be here, would you?

Julian Day is the CEO of Radio Shack, are you ready for Rip Off Revenge!!!! Time to get your money back Jean. "The Rebate Scam"

This rebate scam is nothing new, lots of companies do this (they make billions doing it). Here is how it works, they sell products (usually electronic items), offer rebates, and when you send it in they stall you, come up with excuses. They start by saying you missed something on the form or papers, or that your rebate cannot be processed at this time.

Now at this point most consumers give up and say 'Oh what the hell, it was only $25.00. I had one company tell me 3 times in a row that my rebate can not be processed at this time. I raised hell! Remember though 2,000 people in one week that say "oh well," do the math, it ads up, that is just a number drawn out of the air. It isn't just Radio Shack, Lots of companies do this. They try to throw the blame on the rebate processing center.

Everyone reading this on the rebate scam pay close attention, make copies of all paperwork you send in for the rebate. When they notify you by mail or email telling you that your rebate can not be processed at this time, contact them right back, tell them that they have 5 days to get you your refund check. If they don't you will file small claims on them and ask for all your fee's in the claim. Also tell them you will be contacting the FTC and the Attorney Generals office for your state.

I make it a point when I am getting the rebate runaround to contact the store corporate office and the company that manufactures the product. The Manufacturer tries to usually point blame at the retail store. Don't let them do it, tell them that they all do business together and it is their problem.

I did it and the company all of a sudden decided to finally pay me my rebate. All that work.

For your situation I would also contact the Radio Shack Corporate, I believe they are in Texas. Write them a letter telling them what happened to you, tell them you are prepared to take this to court and file complaints if you don't get your rebate.

You did the first step, you came on here and said something to everyone.

Good luck with it, please write us back and let us know how it goes. Do not let Radio Shack play games, they are a multi million dollar company and they should be treating customers better than that.

Here is some corporate contact info for radio shack:

Julian Day was named chairman and CEO on July 6, 2006. Day had previously served successfully in senior leadership positions at several large publicly traded retailing companies in the U.S. and played a key role in revitalizing such companies as Safeway, Sears and Kmart.

Customer Care
Visit your local RadioShack store for immediate help with products or services. For unresolved questions or issues, mail or call Customer Care.
Email: RadioShack.Customer.Care@RadioShack.com

email them, phone them, write them, don't let them get away with it. Rip Off Revenge!! Fight Back!!