Complaint Review: Radio Shack

• Submitted: Tue, January 23, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, January 23, 2007

• Reported By:Sharon Pennsylvania
Radio Shack
Shenango Valley Mall Hermitage, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Radio Shack sold lemon laptop computer, then disappeared! ripoff Hermitage Pennsylvania

In 2002, we went into the Shenango Valley Mall Radio Shack to buy a computer. The salesman talked us into the "special deal" they had on a Compaq Laptop that was supposed to have a bunch of software and a CD burner.

We got the laptop a week later, mailed directly to our house. IT had no back up discs or any paperwork. After playing with it for a few days we discovered it did NOT have the software we were promised or a CD Burner. We took it in to Radio Shack and told them we didn't want it since it did not have what we order. The clerk and store manager REFUSED to take it back. I later (much later) found out that we supposedly could have returned it with in 90 days for any reason (we'd had it less than 7 days).

So we resigned ourselves to keeping it or being out $2000+ dollars. However, the computer would not hold a charge and kept turning itself off.

We took into Radio Shack 3 times for repairs. The first time it wasn't staying on or holding a charge. IT came back and wouldn't turn on. Second time, hard drive had been wiped when it came back. Third time it came back, they had replaced the hard drive but most of the programs were gone and it still kept turning off.

I spent 2 years fighting with the district manager of Radio Shack. HE told me we could have returned it the first 90 days (and denied that the store refused to take it back). He claimed we had to go through Compaq, Compaq kept telling me to go through Radio Shack.

In the meantime the store went out of business and disappeared. When I tried to continue getting the laptop fixed the district manager of Radio Shack said they refused to do anything further.

I reminded him that we had purchased the extended warranty and he DENIED we'd purchased it, said there was no record of it. (I now have the warranty paperwork proving that we did purchase the extended warranty).

Then the laptop CAUGHT FIRE, literally. Flames shooting out of it, set fire to my desk! At that point, COMPAQ replace the laptop with a refurbished one. Radio Shack refused to deal with me any further.

So we now had a refurbished laptop (valued at $600), when we paid for a new one (valued at $2000) and most of the software we purchased is not on this one.

We wanted Radio Shack to refund the difference of the two computers and they refused. I'm in the process of trying to get them to refund the $300 we paid for the service warranty that they refused to honor.

We spent 4 YEARS trying to get a computer that WORKED instead of the lemon we got in the first place. Most of that time, the laptop was at the repair service or would not turn on. We've lost $1400 on the lemon laptop and lost programs.

Radio Shack refused to honor ANY of their warranties or policies during the entire period and COMPAQ are the one's that replace the lemon.

Tory
Sharon, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2007 11:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Radio-Shack/Hermitage-Pennsylvania/Radio-Shack-sold-lemon-laptop-computer-then-disappeared-ripoff-Hermitage-Pennsylvania-232345. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Radio Shack