Complaint Review: Rasmussen College

• Reported By: Peggy Dixon — Lewisburg West Virginia United States of America
Rasmussen College
8300 Norman Center Drive Internet United States of America

Rasmussen College Unfair Practices Internet

*Consumer Comment: And that....

*Author of original report: Rasmussen Online

*Consumer Comment: I hate to break this to you..

I am enrolled in a RHIT (Registered Health Information Tech) program at Rasmussen Online College.  I was trying to Test Out on some classes in order to save money and time.  I felt since I had 20 years experience in this field that I would be able to pass this test (Basic ICD-9 Coding).  A couple of the questions I felt were worded in such a way that there was no clear answer to choose from in the multiple chooses but I kept on going.  It was a definition question and this was an open book.  I had the book (American Academy of Professional Coders) and the definition was in the front of the book; however, not one of the 4 chooses really fit so I choose the best one I could.  I knew I couldn't leave it blank.  I missed the passing grade by 1 single point or 1/2 of a question (50 questions each worth 2 points).  So I requested my test be hand graded due to that  1 question specifically.  I did not get anywhere with the person relaying messages back and forth with the instructor.  She said it was wrong and went into my schedule for the following semester and changed my classes without my knowledge.  I emailed her and  told her I will not take that class and she is to changed my classes back to what they were.  I also told her I did not appreciate her going into my schedule and making changes.  She did apologize and changed the classes back.  I spoke with the Dean of the online college.  This is what she said when I read her the definition of the question.  The test is based on the Class and the book used in that Class.  If you had taken the class you would have had the book and you would have answered the question correctly.   Therefore, we cannot give you credit for it and you will have to pay the tuition and take the class before you can go further.  I told her the whole reason for someone to take the Test Out is to NOT take the class.  So what is the point of having Test Out tests if you are going to put questions on them that people who who don't plan on taking the class will never be able to answer correctly.  Unless you are trying to trick them into taking classes they probably wouldn't be taking.  It wasn't like I was asking for 20 points, I was only asking for a single point due to the question being answered correctly according to the book that I had available to me; which is the book put by the organization who teach Coding and also credential coders (AAPC) all across this country.  Feel free to look them up.   I am trying to change colleges now.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2012 05:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rasmussen-College/internet/Rasmussen-College-Unfair-Practices-Internet-941892. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rasmussen College

And that....

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

No, I didn't study;

No matter how you try to justify it to yourself or think you were treated unfairly...that one statement is the primary reason you failed.

A little hint for you...Open Book tests are often made harder and in such a way that it may "seem" like there is more than one answer.  But if you break the question down down and think a little, if know the subject you will realize that there is truly only one correct answer.  This is how they get the difference between someone who truly knows the subject and one who only "thinks" they know the subject.

Rasmussen Online

AUTHOR: Peggy Dixon - (United States of America)

What difference does it make if the person studied or not, when the answers will never be located. You would have to enroll in the classand but the book to locate the answes for this test according to the dean which defeats the purpose of testing out of the class. No, I didn't study; all coders know that coding is very subjective and not black and white. there were six questions but I was only fighting for one because I only needed one.

I hate to break this to you..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

But if you FAILED the test by 1/2 a Point, it wasn't because of this single question.  It was because you don't really know the subject.  If you truly knew the subject, one or even two poorly worded question(in your opinion) would not be the difference between passing and failing.

I wonder what you spent more time on.  Reviewing the subject before the test or trying to find a reason and petitioning them afterwards to get a extra point.  I would bet it was the later, which would show even more of a reason why you failed.