Complaint Review: Re/Max Realty One -- Jane Beckham

• Submitted: Fri, November 14, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, November 14, 2003

• Reported By:Haughton Louisiana
Re/Max Realty One -- Jane Beckham
300 Benton Road Bossier City, Louisiana U.S.A.
  • Phone: 318-752-2700
  • Web:
  • Category: Landlords

Re/Max Realty One - Jane Beckham (Property Manager) Anti-Military Does not comply with Soldier and Sailors' Civil Relief Act Harrassment of Dependents of Deployed Military Bossier City Louisiana

Jane Beckham with Re/Max Realty One is a property manager who does not comply with Soldier and Sailors' Civil Relief Act. My husband was deployed with the National Guard to serve in Operation Iraqi Freedom. As soon as he was called up, I informed Ms. Beckham and other creditors about our financial burdens due to his deployment.

This burden was due to the time it took to receive complete military pay and benefits (plus all of the expenses it took to deploy). All of our creditors and utilities companies worked with me until I could get our payments back on track. However, Ms. Beckham did not. She responded to my request for extra time to pay with threats of eviction (which is against the law - according to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act).

We fell within all of the requirements to be covered by the SSCRA. My intentions - and subsequent results - were to get caught up on rental payments as soon as the back-pay became effective. And, that is exactly what I did. But, things went from bad to worse. My requests for maintenance and services were denied repeatedly after that time. So, I had to pay for services out of my pocket. Then, I deducted it from the rent (this is proper procedure according to Louisiana laws).

Ms. Beckham then harrassed me for the amount I deducted and charged late fees on that amount. This continued for the duration of my husband's service in Iraq. Then, I gave 30 days notice to break the lease (which is okay according to SSCRA). Ms. Beckham called me 10 days before our move-out date and threatened to evict me again for the above- mentioned amount. She also threatened to keep the entire deposit ($975) which is against the SSCRA. I finally got a JAG officer involved.

The JAG attorney went with me to Ms. Beckham's office to try and resolve the issue (after Ms. Beckham refused to discuss the matter over the phone or at the JAG office). Ms. Beckham was extremely condescending to both the JAG Officer and myself. The JAG Officer agrees that Ms. Beckham is not complying with the state laws and SSCRA.

This is how Jane Beckham of Re/Max Realty One treats military families. While my husband was serving in a very dangerous environment in Iraq, I was left home to care for three children, run a business, and run a household (and worry about my husband). Ms. Beckham found this to be the perfect opportunity to either harrass a vulnerable military spouse, or display some apparent prejudices against our military/war. This is anti-military, anti-American, and anti-patriotic. All military personnel moving to Barksdale Air Force Base or Fort Polk should beware!

Veronica
Bossier City, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/14/2003 08:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ReMax-Realty-One-Jane-Beckham/Bossier-City-Louisiana-71111/ReMax-Realty-One-Jane-Beckham-Property-Manager-Anti-Military-Does-not-comply-with-Sol-1029436. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Re/Max Realty One -- Jane Beckham