Complaint Review: ReTool

• Updated: Sat, July 13, 2013

• Reported By: Richard P — Tulsa Oklahoma
ReTool
11617 East 61st St S. Broken Arrow, Oklahoma USA

ReTool Merchant refuses to repair broken equipment before selling it from sales floor. Broken Arrow Oklahoma

*Author of original report: Retool Rob: Get a life!!

*Consumer Comment: You are as clueless as you are stupid

*Author of original report: ReTool, obviously you represent this merchant!

*Consumer Comment: Where the heck is the RipOff..

I went to ReTool on 61st St in Broken Arrow, looking for a used lawn mower. ReTool is a store that sells used tools and such. As soon as I walked in the front door, I saw a mower, prominently displayed for sale on the sales floor, right out front.

It didn't have a price tag so I asked the sales associate what they were selling it for and he didn't know so he had to call his manager on duty, on the phone. I overheard him describing the mower to his manager, telling him the mower was self propelled. After his got off the phone, he told me it was $125. I was able to take the mower outside the store and start it up on the sidewalk in front of the store.

It started fine, but the self propelled function on the mower was not functioning. The sales associate was witness to this and he again called the manager to come look at the mower. The manager on duty said that it could be adjusted and made to work properly, however he was not going to repair it. I asked him why he was selling a product that he knew was broken. He told me that he received the mower late the day before and didn't have time to look it over. I told him that now he does have the time, and could he repair it now, but he refused.

I asked, if they were selling a product that they knew was broken and not working properly, can they at least take $25 off the price. The manager refused, saying that if I didn't buy it, he could sell this mower, "...a thousand times a week, if he had them in stock,...as is." Meaning he could sell broken merchandise anytime all week long without any repercussions. Of course, I told him that if that was true, if this product is in such high demand, than why were they in such a hurry to sell it, by placing it just inside the front door of the store, prominently displayed? If they knew it would sell immediately, why not take the extra time to actually inspect the mower and make sure it was working properly before putting it on the sales floor,...as is?

Again, he not only refused to lower the price on a product he was selling that he knew was in need of repair, but refused to repair it as well!!

I purchased the mower anyway, because I was despeerate and needed a mower that day, but I feel that he should have and could have been more professional and in the name of customer service, been more flexible for a customer. Obviously, he knew it was lawn mowing season and knew that mowers are in high demand, so he decided, rather than giving a customer good service, knowing he might me a potential repeat customer in the future, he would instead rip off the customer and treat him like he knew he had him over a barrell and was going to take advantage of him.

As a result, I will NEVER return to this store or to any of the other ReTool stores in Tulsa, or anywhere else for that matter. This is a perfect example of the state of Customer Service today. I remember the days when merchants, especially local ones, would bend over backwards for your business, knowing that you could go anywhere and chose to patronize their establishment. This is what is happening today, folks. People who work in the retail marketplace haven't a clue how lucky they are to even have a job, much less  do they care about return business.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2013 09:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ReTool/Broken-Arrow-Oklahoma/ReTool-Merchant-refuses-to-repair-broken-equipment-before-selling-it-from-sales-floor-Br-1066737. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ReTool

Retool Rob: Get a life!!

AUTHOR: Richard P - ()

Ok, so we can go back and forth on this, but I really don't want to contribute to your apparent need to live vicariously through other people's lives.

I mean, I wanted to report on a bad experience I had with a local merchant, so that's why I'm here. So, what was the reason you're here, Robert? You say you clicked on the link that shows the latest reports, yet you have no personal reason as to why you feel you need to refute other people's legitimate concerns, other than the fact that you quite obviously want to "educate" everyone, by attempting to give them a class on "Business Concepts".

Do you really have such an emptiness in your life, that you have to fill it by trying to satisfy your desperate need to "correct" people who have posted what they think are justified opinions and just want to let people know so that they have more info to help them to decide what to do with their money?

Like I said before, your rebuttals have, and still are, making my point better than I ever could have. Your idiotic statements, like "I thought you said he had to call his manager", as a response to my statement, "I guess he saw me coming". To any intelligent person, it should be obvious that I was only using that statement to symbolize that he knew he had me at a disadvantage and was taking advantage of me. But, to prove my low opinion of you, you errantly thought I meant that literally, like he saw me coming down the street or something stupid like that.

Again, just keep on talking Robert, you are helping this business a lot. As a matter of fact, I can just see the CEO of ReTool reading your posts right now, gritting his/her teeth and saying, "Robert, please shut up!" "Your are NOT helping me at all!"

I would hope that you get that life you dreamed of having Robert, and stop reading other people's posts on something that has obviously nothing to do with you, but I'm sure you will respond to this rebuttal again. Just remember, you might want to get up from your computer every now and then and feed your 5 cats. But then, maybe you have stopped reading my posts and are now posting a rebuttal to a reader's post on the Seattle Intelligencer's website about a car accident or some other news event, even though you probably live a thousand miles from there.

You are as clueless as you are stupid

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

How did I see your report?  Well if you look at the top of this site you will see a link that says "Latest Reports" where if you click on it what do you see..wait for it...THE LATEST REPORTS POSTED.  Gee...imagine that.  Oh and how did I see your response so soon..again wait for it..the same post you get that says someone commented on this report..I get the exact same email.  Sorry but I have been accused of working for more than a couple dozen companies..and guess what like this company I don't work for them.  If you use the same search tools you suggest you can do the same thing and find several postings on several companies.  Some..showing the poster was wrong..some showing them that they were right and what they need to do about it.

Ah yes the typical "let the customer walk all over you".  This one phrase is what as put more business out of business than you can imagine.  The fact of this is that he as a business decided to sell a mower at a certain price.  You want an example..well JC Penny tried that concept a few months ago..that concept lasted a few months before they canned their CEO.   Regardless of anything else he as a business has the right to sell it at what ever price he wants.  If he wanted to sell it for $10,000 he can attempt to do it.  Not selling it for a price YOU think it is fair is not a RipOff.   By the way I am not adamant about defending them..I am just pointing out a very basic concept of business.

Yes, I could have walked out and not purchased it but, like I said I was in need and this guy, a representative of a supposedly reputable merchant, saw me coming.

- YES you could have.  I guess he must have ESP or some other special talent because according to your report the sales clerk had to call him on the phone.

- You sure did.  You told people to that when they go into a USED tool store to be sure to test everything out before they decide to buy it.  You also told them that if they don't like the price they have the free will to walk out.  You also showed them that if they decide to buy it after the fact there is only one person to blame.  Oh..and testing things before you buy it is actually great advise for anytime you are looking at making a purchase.

ReTool, obviously you represent this merchant!

AUTHOR: Richard P - ()

Can it be any more obvious that the previous rebuttal to my report on ReTool is a representative of ReTool? How else could you have seen my report, and commented on it within an hour of it being posted? You obviously are using a search tool within this website that searches for anything that uses the keyword, "ReTool".

The reason I saw your rebuttal right away is that I get emails when there are rebuttals to,...wait for it,...MY REPORT!! You, on the other hand, could not have seen my report so soon unless you were doing what I just noted. Take some advice, if you're gonna defend your own company, don't do it so incompetently and maybe you might just want to say something nice about your company and apologize for the situation that occurred rather than taking such a militant and insensitive stance that proves how unprofessional and uncaring you really are.

I wonder what I would find if I used the keyword, "Tool" to search with? I most likely would find your name and picture there!! Because you are the very definition of the word, "tool".

If you aren't a rep of this merchant, why are you so adamant about defending them? Have you ever heard of the phrase, "the customer is always right" ? I don't mean in every situation should this be the mantra, but it certainly applies here and if you can't see that, you are incredibly stupid.

Firstly, I asked the merchant if he regularly sells his merchandise broken and he responded, saying that he does not. He just said that he hadn't the time to fix it since he only had it a short time. I then asked him if he would fix it and he refused.

Yes, I could have walked out and not purchased it but, like I said I was in need and this guy, a representative of a supposedly reputable merchant, saw me coming. I know, I'm the object of the phrase, "A fool and his money are soon parted". I admit that. But that doesn't excuse him from taking advantage of people, yes people like me, who were desperate and quite obviously not willing to spend all day shopping or asking neighbors for their mowers (which I do not like to do for my own reasons).

Secondly, your analogy comment on the pricing of the mower is incredibly ignorant. When this merchant bought this mower, supposedly from a walk in seller, he would have obviously inspected it like I did and tried it out himself. He would have seen that the self propelled motor was not functioning and would have either not bought it, or wrangled the seller down in price. He obviously bought it but discounted the price for what the seller was asking for, whatever that was. If that is what he did, why am I not allowed to do the same? If you noticed, Robert, and it is apparent you didn't, I noted that the self propelled motor included on the mower was the determining factor on the price they were asking. So, the merchant had marked the price UP to reflect this. I was only asking for the discount, since, first he had refused to repair it, and second, he and I both knew that the self propelled motor didn't work and thus he should reflect that in the price.

If you, Robert, are not a rep for this merchant, I sure hope you don't own your own business that deals with the public. If you did, I would hope you reveal your business here so we all know that the owner has this type of attitude toward customers. "How about borrowing one from a friend?" "..until you can find something you like"? These statement reveal so much about you. Are you actually saying that, even though you are in direct competition with Lowe's, Home Depot's, WM's, etc, you are saying that borrowing from friends until your customer can patronize your competitors is better than repairing a product you have for sale?

If that wasn't enough, you then end your diatribe, Mr. ReTool, with a defense of the merchant's comment, "I can sell this mower a thousand times a week". Do you really think this is a proper and appropriate thing to say to a customer? Well, obviously you do. I guess you have been to so many flea markets and garage sales that you think that is the way a store employee is supposed to treat a customer. This isn't a person in his driveway negotiating over his daughter's used bureau, nor is it a booth operator at a carnival promising 5 throws of a softball for $2. This is supposed to be a professional merchant.

I'll tell you something else, Robert. Maybe my report wasn't exactly what you might think of as a classic "Rip Off", but the bottom line is, I will not be returning to that store and, excuse me if I'm wrong but, isn't that supposed to be the point of every shop owner, to get repeat business and business based on "word of mouth"? I made my point in my report and I feel it will give potential customers something to think about before considering visiting their business.

Additionally, I need to thank you Robert, for your rebuttal. If I had any doubts that my point was made or that I accomplished my intention of warning the public of this arrogant merchant, you definitely made my point for me. Yep, your rebuttal certainly pushed their customer further out the door, down the street, and into their competitor's arms. THANK YOU ROBERT!!

Where the heck is the RipOff..

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

You go to a USED tool store.  You see a mower on display for sale and the tell you the price.  They even let you go try it out.

You find out that a feature isn't working and try to get him to fix it..he refuses.  You try to get him to reduce the price..he refuses.  That is his option as to how he wants to sell it.  Just like it is YOUR option to either acccept the price and buy it or leave and go somewhere else.   If you were that desprate for a mower..how about borrowing one from a friend until you can find one you like.

Would you be complaining about the price if for example you came in for the first time a week later and saw the same mower(now working 100%) for $150?  What is this point?  Well he could have given you a price of $150 and to "be a nice guy" lowered it to $125.  You as a result would have been none the wiser to this "game".  So which would be more honest?

You said he told you he could sell the mower a thousand times in a week.  Well I guess he was right..YOU are proof of it.

Sorry but there is no RipOff here.