Complaint Review: Reach Local

• Submitted: Thu, March 27, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, February 13, 2013

• Reported By:Bronx New York
Reach Local
www.reachlocal.com Manhattan, New York U.S.A.

Reach Local Lias, Cheats, What a Nightmare.. Save Your Money Manhattan New York

*Consumer Comment: Absolutely True - 70% GOES IN THEIR POCKETS

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: ReachLocal is in fact a terrible company

*Consumer Suggestion: ReachLocal vs AuthorizedSpecialist.com

*Consumer Comment: Truth about Reach Local

*Consumer Comment: Truth to your rant?

I would like to start off by saying that Reach Local is one of the worst internet companies I have ever worked with in my life. (I have been advertising online for the good part of 10 yrs now) The customer service was from what sounded like a 15 year old girl from somewhere in the midwest, and the sales rep who visited me reminded me of a vacuum cleaner salesman. Very unprofessional and so pushy. He would have started a program for $20 if I wanted. ( I would have not done business with them in the first place, but my partner felt it was such a good bargain we had to give it a try.)

I was PERFECTLY HAPPY with the company we were already using, whose name i will leave blank so they are not associated in any way with this embarrassment of a company. To make a long story short, Reach Local promised us a certain amount of calls from the internet and said we would be under all my categories online. NONE OF THAT HAPPENED! I received only a few calls and they were from out of my zoned construction area. THAT IS WORTHLESS TO ME! The customer service rep was playing on myspace and had NO CLUE what I was trying to describe to her.

My credit card was hit 3 times in one month for some reason. I was only supposed to be charged once a month. It took me SEVERAL phone calls to get one of the charges off and the last one never came off after I told them I was cancelling my program. THe sales rep came by my office then, ( in what seemed to be his confirmation suit) and was pretty much begging me to stay, and said his uncle may need a dormer on his house so he would have him call me.

I want people to know REACH LOCAL has no knowledgeable sales reps, customer service or billing department. I had the same ad showing up for roofing as I did for siding and dormers. I wanted to have different messages and they said I COULDN'T DO IT. HELLO my old provider did it. I know its possible.

People of NEW YORK and surrounding areas. Please steer clear of these babbling fools. Save your money and do some solid homework on them. Reach Local should start paying more attention to their clients and get rid of that HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT. What a joke. THese people seem to be overworked like from a sweatshop in China or something. The original meeting the rep had on a tee shirt with his necklace hanging out and he looked so hungry.

Oh and by the way, one month into the program I had a guy call me from this company saying he was a RESELLER of REACH LOCAL or something and he could beat any DIRECT PRICING of what I was already doing. ANd he kept talking about how much better they were then this one and that one... He was rather annoying... That was a tip off to me that something was up with this company.

Bronx, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/27/2008 12:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Reach-Local/Manhattan-New-York-10018/Reach-Local-Lias-Cheats-What-a-Nightmare-Save-Your-Money-Manhattan-New-York-321654. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Reach Local

Absolutely True - 70% GOES IN THEIR POCKETS

AUTHOR: sto pro veritate - (USA)

Check how much you got in Google advertising vs what you paid? If you don't know how to this was the procedure which is not easy.

1. Login to your account at ReachLocal make sure it is set to ReachCentral
2. On the left side of the screen you’ll see all of your options. Click the + in the REPORTS option to reveal the drop down list of sub options.
3. Click Distribution Details
4. Now click the EDIT FILTERS button to reveal drop down menu function for Campaigns, Month, Year.
5. Choose which campaign you’d like to report on, choose the time period etc 6. Click Update Report The Media Cost (Google only) is what Reach Local spent with Google for that period. With the report, it has an extra step you have to click Reports at the top first which should then open up a page that has additional reports on the left hand side.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

ReachLocal is in fact a terrible company

AUTHOR: Harassed - (United States of America)

I know for a fact that ReachLocal does indeed rip people off and has zero respect for customers and employees. If ReachLocal is fast growing..why does everyone ask who they are when they are mentioned? No one knows anything about them. How embarrassing for RL and their employees.

Not only does RL rip people off, their management and HR department condones and ignores sexual harassment. How do I know this? I have first hand experience...along with several others.

I highly doubt they will be around for much longer. You can't treat customers and employees in such a manner and expect to stay in business. From the top dogs down to management, they are terrible! The sales reps are just fooled into believing so much BS that its not their fault. They are lied to and need to make a living.

I would avoid dealing with them at all costs.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

ReachLocal vs AuthorizedSpecialist.com

AUTHOR: Local Business Marketing Expert - (United States of America)

ReachLocal is a good company and their partner site AuthorizedSpecialist.com gets local businesses the results they're looking for almost every time. They drive an endless amount of customers for local businesses and I myself had the pleasure of using their services with more than successful results.

Truth about Reach Local

AUTHOR: CoContact - (United States of America)

Reach Locals model is simple.

1) Do not share pertinent details of your a campaign with the advertiser. (actual CPC/CPM).   (ASK QUESTIONS...These Specific Questions...Get a break down on your spend!)

2) Why Do they do this?
    A)  Because if they did, the advertiser would see that only 1/2 of the money they paid Reach Local actually went to their campaign.

3) Reach Local take a min. of 50% of any advertisers spend for them selves.
    - Ex. You run a $1000 campaign with Reach Local - They put min. $500 in their pocket and actually only spend $500 on your $1000 campaign.

4) Learn how to work Google Ad words People!  It is not that difficult and it will optimize a campaign for You!

Caveat Emptor

Truth to your rant?

AUTHOR: Sean - (U.S.A.)

Dear Poster:

First, it is in your opinion that ReachLocal is one of the worst internet companies. Prior to ranting and sounding like a uneducated business person, back your rant up with facts.

1st: ReachLocal is not a internet company as your rant suggests so how could they be the worst at something they are not? ReachLocal is a SEM / Search Engine Marketing company. If they were the 'worst' they would not be rated as the fastest growing company today as well as have a great customer satisfaction rating.

2: Don't personally attack someone by saying they sound like a 15 year  old girl. Having a bad day? Again just a rant - back things up by facts and you would be taken more  serious.

The customer service rep was playing on MySpace? Seriously?

I have worked with ReachLocal in the past and their sales reps aka search engine marketing consultants are very professional and  knowledge about paid search. 1 bad experience doesn't constitute for a company wide bashing. You as a business owner should know this. What if one of your sales persons screwed up? How would you feel about someone bashing your company publicly on a ranting forum like  this?

I don't know any ReachLocal reps that wear T-Shirts, everyone I have seen they are dressed business professional - in fact, they made me want to step it up a notch.

Anyway - to  anyone who reads this, this person is on a obvious rant and had a bad morning. ReachLocal is a very ethical and reputable company with friendly knowledgeable sales  reps also known as Search Engine Marketing Consultants.

Anthony has no reason to  bash a company like this even if he had 1 poor experience. The ethical thing to do would be to speak to the office manager rather than delivering defamatory statements online.

Looking at his rant - I bet he would  be the first person to threaten you with a lawsuit if you did anything like this to or about his company.

Check your facts first Anthony. How would you like someone bashing your company?