Complaint Review: Readers Across America - RAA

• Submitted: Mon, December 20, 2004
  • Updated: Mon, December 20, 2004

• Reported By:Elk Grove California
Readers Across America - RAA
P.O. Box 11575 Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

Readers Across America - RAA Ripoff Instead of cancelling my check as requested cashed it Denver Colorado

12/20/04
I was walking to my car from class at Sacramento City College when what looked like another student gave me the same ploy about wanting to take a trip to Paris and needing to earn points. I told him I didn't have money to spend on magazines, nor did I want them. He told me I could write a check, then mail in the cancellation slip within 3 days and not pay more than the postage fee of a stamp, and still be earning him points.

Skeptical about writing out a blank check, I asked "how do I know I'll get my money back?" His reply was "Because if you don't I'll get prosecuted." Thinking it was a sincere enough statement i wrote out the check, and mailed my cancellation slip the same day. Sure enough, I'm short $62 plus $20 extra for overdrafts from my bank. I am a full-on community college student, only 18 yrs. old, working part time - trying to save $ transfer to a 4 year in NY. I am not rich.

When I thought I was helping someone in the same shoes as me, someone else who wanted to get out of this cow town of a city, just trying to be nice, I instead was stolen from. Needless to say I'm pissed. I'm going to the sac city campus police about this, as well as the better business bureau, and the media. I suggest that anyone else out there do the same.

Jennifer
Elk Grove, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/20/2004 08:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Readers-Across-America-RAA/Denver-Colorado-80211/Readers-Across-America-RAA-Ripoff-Instead-of-cancelling-my-check-as-requested-cashed-it-123783. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Readers Across America - RAA