Complaint Review: Readers Across America - RAA

• Submitted: Mon, March 07, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, March 07, 2005

• Reported By:Bakersfield California
Readers Across America - RAA
PO Box 11575 Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

Readers Across America - RAA ripoff -- I canceled my subscription and they still deposited my checks Denver Colorado

I was approached by a young man in the Wal Mart parking lot. I had my son with me, and he told me he was selling subscriptions to magazines in order to win a trip to Paris or $2000.00.

I decided to look through the magazines he was offering and told him I could subscribe to one magazine, and I chose a magazine called Turtle for my son. He then told me he didn't earn points unless I subscribed to 3 magazines. I told him I didn't have the money for 3, and there wasn't 3 I liked. He then told me that if I ordered 3 magazines, and the men's package, I could mail my receipt to the company with a subscription cancellation, and they would cancel my subscription and mail my checks back to me, and all I would have to pay was the postage fee.

He told me it was cheating, but that all he needed was 1000 points, and my subscription would give him his points. He also said he would send me the subscription to Turtle for free for helping him out. I then asked him how I would know for sure that I got my money back, and he said he had done it himself. At this time, my son started getting fussy, so I agreed to get the 3 magazines, and he subscribed me to the mens package, in order to get home. He then asked if I could write to checks, to make it look like one was a gift, because he got extra bonus points if it was a gift. I ended up writing a check for $62 and another one for $93. As I got home, I started to read the print on the cancellation terms.

It stated that I would be charged a $9 fee per check and I had to mail the receipt within 3 days. Also, that if you cancelled subscription, the seller wouldn't recieve points. I was angry because he lied to me, and I mailed both of my receipts that night. About 2 weeks later both of my checks were cashed. Not only am I a young mother, but I'm also a college student and $162.00 is a big loss for me. This business needs to be shut down, because they are ripping off people and lying to us, which puts many of us in a financial bind. I expected to get my checks back, instead I've lost $162.00 on magazines I don't even want.

Crystal
Bakersfield, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/07/2005 05:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Readers-Across-America-RAA/Denver-Colorado-80211/Readers-Across-America-RAA-ripoff-I-canceled-my-subscription-and-they-still-deposited-134078. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Readers Across America - RAA