Complaint Review: Reader's Digest Claim Services

• Updated: Wed, March 24, 2010

• Reported By: JP — Markham Illinois United States of America
Reader's Digest Claim Services
118 W Charnwood Street Tyler, Texas United States of America

Reader's Digest Claim Services They sent a letter that looked suspicious even before I opened the envelope. The enveloped had no return address and a stamp from Canada like someone mailing a Christmas card, not official correspond Tyler, Texas

*Consumer Comment: I won too

Janice Markham, Il

They sent a letter that looked suspicious even before I opened the envelope.  The enveloped had no return address and a stamp from Canada and it looked like a stame that someone mailing a Christmas card would use, not official correspondence from a bank.  The date on the letter had a typo in the mailing date something again that made me suspicious.  The letter said that I had won 3rd prize from the annual Readers Digest Sweepstakes, 65,000.00 (Sixty Five Thousand Dollars).  Included was a check from Penson Financial Services and it looked real.  I had not recently entered any sweepstakes so that made me even more suspicious.  I went to the library and Goolged the address and it said something about a tax attorney, then I Goolged the bank did not get the exact address for the bank, then I Goolged Readers Digest Claims Services and I got this web site with someone telling the same story and that it was a scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/06/2010 03:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Readers-Digest-Claim-Services/Tyler-Texas-75701/Readers-Digest-Claim-Services-They-sent-a-letter-that-looked-suspicious-even-before-I-op-550424. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Reader's Digest Claim Services

I won too

AUTHOR: Stressed out - (U.S.A.)

I just got one of these today. Same thing. No return address and postmarked out of Canada also. Funny thing is though you may have won that chump change I was the grand prize winner of $130 thousand dollars. My check was through AIG Annuity Insurance Company out of Amarillo Texas. I am going to google that company also. They gave themselves away with me with the letter saying I have to verify the check via a long distance phone call. When has it been that you have to do this before you cash a check. I will say though the check did look very legit. I'm also considering taking this check to my local police and getting someone in hot water over this too.