Complaint Review: Reader's Digest Scam Letter

• Submitted: Sat, January 26, 2013
  • Updated: Sat, January 26, 2013

• Reported By: Karen — CALIFORNIA CITY California U.S.A.
Reader's Digest Scam Letter
1882 Main Street, Austin, Texas, 77023 Austin, Texas United States of America

Reader's Digest Scam Letter Philip Collins FROM: THE DESK OF MANAGING DIRECTOR OF PRIZE AWARD DEPARTMENT "WITHOUT PREJUDICE" CONGRATULATIONS!! Austin, Texas

Received this letter with 3 Reader's Digest logos  across the top of page and bottom as well . What's funny is i started looking really close to it with a magnifing  glass and found each logo it had New Jesus written above it.

Bold letters congratulating me that I had won $500,000.00 dollars but their office notified their department that I still hadn't submitted my claim form after 6 weeks nor made effort to communicate with them to obtain my winnings. Seem strange since I just received the letter maybe 5-8 days ago at the most.

That I was among the 118 particpating finalist playing 6000 full tickets in the fifth series from a pool of one million dollars in cash . My ticket Number 68964-09 drew the the lucky numbers 78-42-89-19-35 which won the prize in that category . Therefore my number had has been approved for a lump sum payout of Five Hundred Thousand Dollars in Cash credited to File Ref: R882-V284.

They advised me to keep everything confidential until I completed my claim process and received my money . So as to prevent any misconduct or duplication of claims by some of our participants.

The notice was time sensitive and non-conpliance could result to disqualification and my unclaimed funds be returned to the unclaimed department .
I was required to call a Mr. Philip Collins at 1-866-768-8711 between 7am-6pm Pacific Standard Time Moday -Friday 8am-5pm Saturdays  . Well I have called all day Saturday  only to get a busy signal.

Ending stating Congratulations and they were looking forward to hearing from me.

Signature looks  like a P or R with a capital Wstarted inside it ahke something   has 2 plus/minus  signs below it to the right ex: ++-  then printed John Cain  Prize Disbursement with a picture under the printing

I looked up on the internet and only found one complaint about a John Cain from 2010 scam letter for 500,000  but it had a check along with it to the lady . Couldn't find any thing from 2012 December  . I know Reader's Digest to be a very reputable company and this is the first I have ever even heard or run across anything like this with their name on it so I was really shocked.

of course it would have been nice since I have just been going thru cancer treatments and have alot of doctor bills oh well such is life . Life goes on .

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/26/2013 03:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Readers-Digest-Scam-Letter/Austin-Texas-77023/Readers-Digest-Scam-Letter-Philip-Collins-FROM-THE-DESK-OF-MANAGING-DIRECTOR-OF-PRIZE-A-1003975. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Reader's Digest Scam Letter