Complaint Review: Receivables Performance Management

• Submitted: Thu, August 23, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, August 23, 2007

• Reported By:Aliso Viejo California
Receivables Performance Management
PO Box 768 Bothell, Washington U.S.A.

Receivables Performance Management Harrassing phone calls and threats for AT&T account that I closed and paid off almost a decade ago ripoff Bothell Washington

A month ago, my Dad called me saying that someone called his house looking for me (I haven't lived with him in over 15 years). I returned the call to find out it was RSM, looking to collect a cell phone debt from approx 8-10 years ago. They claim that I did not pay off my final balance when I closed my account with AT&T Wireless. I disputed this and asked them to send me information in the mail with account numbers and dates of service, etc. I never received anything from them. Today, they called again. They were very rude and reluctant to provide me with any information over the phone. In fact, I don't believe they had any information. Again, I attempted to tell them that several years ago, I closed my account according to AT&T's contractual rules and I paid off all remaining balances that were due so this must be a mistake, but they wouldn't let me speak. I tried to remain professional and discuss the facts but they repeatedly interrupted me and insulted me. Rob, the Supervisor, was especially rude and wouldn't let me get one word in. He told me that he planned to note in my file that I'm refusing payment and he was also going to post a negative comment on my credit history. I corrected him and said that I absolutely was NOT refusing to make payment, but I wanted to clear up the issue with AT&T and provide RSM proof of payment. Rob's response was that AT&T doesn't keep their records from that far back so I'm out of luck and have no choice but to pay the money he's asking. Basically, if I didn't grant him my Visa card number on the phone, he was to file with the credit agencies. Before I spoke to him, I was harrassed by one of his workers. I could tell that they both received enjoyment from insulting me. Furthermore, I never received any notification from AT&T or any creditor regarding any past-due account until my recent phone calls from RSM. As noted before, this dates back almost a decade. The amount in question is only $30.94, which is an insignificant amount to get them off my back, but I feel it's the principal of the issue. I don't know if this is a scam since there are no records to prove that payment was or wasn't made. Today, I discussed this issue wath a representative of the Better Business Bureau who suggested I send RSM a certified letter stating my complaint, file a BBB complaint, and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I've done all of these things.

Aliso Viejo, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/23/2007 04:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Receivables-Performance-Management/Bothell-Washington-98041-0768/Receivables-Performance-Management-Harrassing-phone-calls-and-threats-for-ATT-account-tha-269810. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Receivables Performance Management