Complaint Review: Recreational Equipment Incorporated

• Updated: Fri, May 17, 2013

• Reported By: mmh — California
Recreational Equipment Incorporated
Internet USA

Recreational Equipment Incorporated Bait and switch, unethical advertising practices  Internet

The recent Anniversary Sale Flyer for the sale from 5/17/13-5/27/13 advertised a Garmin Oregon 450T GPS (item 798-880) for $199.99.  This was on my shot list of GPS units and the flier and e-mail made my mind up for me; it is a great price.

A few days before the sale started I checked stock levels at my local REI and online, they were good locally and low online (I didn’t want to get my hopes up).

Come 9:00am on 5/17/13, I walk into my local REI and they have none and try to sell me a unit for $350.00.  All of REI did not have a single Oregon 450T at the start of the sale (not at ANY store or online).

Store customer service is in the dark.  When I discussed this with corporate customer service, they will not issue a rain check, or offer a similar discount on another GPS.  When they get back in stock it will be after the sale and when they are selling them for $365

This is a clear bait and switch.  It pissed me off, and I love REI and spend way more money there than my wife thinks I do.

I am Very disappointed.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/17/2013 03:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Recreational-Equipment-Incorporated/internet/Recreational-Equipment-Incorporated-Bait-and-switch-unethical-advertising-practicesnbsp-1051773. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Recreational Equipment Incorporated