Complaint Review: Red Box

http://www.redbox.com/home.aspx Internet United States of America

Red Box A costly discount Internet

*Consumer Comment: Cost of doing business

*Consumer Comment: Burden of proof

*Author of original report: The point is.........

*Consumer Comment: Error

Last month I rented from a kiosk near my home. I rented two movies, which I returned the following night. The first DVD I returned came back as successfully returned. When I attempted to return the second, I noticed the case was emptied. I soon realized I had put one disc on top of the other. Realizing my mistake, I contacted red box 15 minutes after the incident to report what had happen. I was assured that since it stated it had been successfully returned it would show up in the database soon. The rep asked me to wait a while because their network was slow. She stated that once it shows up they can place a stop on the disc. Unfortunately, it never showed up. I called back and was told that when the techs go out they will check the box. I never heard back, but today I have a $50.88 charge to my card.

I called red box again and after conversing with another rep, she said the only thing they could do is cut the fee in half. This was because the DVD's were never recovered. I accepted it realizing it was the best they would offer. I enjoyed and thought that offered an excellent product. However, I know realize that $1 rentals are too good to be true.

The issue is in the whole process. Due to the fact that this is a kiosk, I expect that it will make mistakes occasionally. However, if you let them tell it their system is infallible. Essentially, my word is worthless because I have no proof of the return. The only receipt given is via email. Also, I must rely on a tech to have integrity to return a DVD back to the kiosk if it fell to the bottom.

I have been renting from for over a year without ever losing a DVD. So, there is no pattern to go by. The fact that they gave me half my money back lets me know that this type of issue happens frequently. I regret that I will not return to the service because I did like the price and convenience. However, it comes with a price. I was a good customer who returned all my movies. Although on demand is more money, I know I know I am getting ripped off up front.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/15/2009 11:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Red-Box/internet/Red-Box-A-costly-discount-Internet-509765. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Red Box

Cost of doing business

AUTHOR: John - (USA)

In this case how would the customer prove that they returned it? They offer no physical receipt, so they should be inclined to take his word for it. He had no history of not returning DVD's, so they should honor his word. If it happened before then I could see grounds to deny him. This is the cost of doing business . They have to assume that issues with products and services will arrise, so they should extend him the courtesy.  BTW, I have lost money in machines and carwashes and have allways received a refund. I was never asked to prove that I placed the money in the machine. Why, because it is going to happen from time to time. Go to any reputable major retailer and you will find that they still stand by the old adage "The customer is allways right". If I return a defective product, they do not ask me to prove it. Statistically, this is going to happen. Have we come to the point in this country where we have to prove everything as customers? We should just lay down and be taken advantage of or should we start carrying around cameras to "Prove" everything? Maybe they need to prove he did not return it. Just because its not in their system does not indicate he is lying. Maybe it got stuck and and dispense to another customer. Perhaps the tech did take it. I agree that he should not have been charged!

Burden of proof

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Is always on the customer.

If you get charged the wrong amount at a grocery store: You have to prove it.

If you use the vending machine at a car wash, and you don't get your wash: You have to prove it.

If You put 1$ in a soda machine and you dont get a soda: You have to prove it.

If you dont have proof, why should they believe you either? You question the integrity of their employee, shouldn't they be able to question your integrity in return?

The point is.........

AUTHOR: scl - (USA)

While I did put one disc on top of the other. The point is the kiosk took the DVD and showed it successfully returned. So, it read the barcode of the top DVD.It is no different than if I placed a single DVD in the box. It still should have recognized that DVD.

There is no physical receipt at the machine that says that you returned it. You have to rely on their information systems. How many time have you gone by an seen the box under maintenance?

Also, I have to rely on the integrity of the technician going out there to retrieve the DVD's. Who's to say that they did not keep the disc? All the liability is on the customer, which is not a good business model.

I admitted fault to putting the disc on top of the other. However, the system accepted the disc. It did not spit it out or reject it. My argument is that the system is flawed if it reads and accepts a disc, but does not credit me.

How many times have you been to a carwash or vending machine of some kind and you did not receive service or the product? All I am saying is that redbox has to realize that incident such as this will happen and they should give the customer the benefit of the doubt. The fact that the burden of proof is solely on me tells me they have a poor customer service.

Listen or don't listen, but when it happens to you the story will change!

Error

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

but you made the error? You were the one that put them in one on top of the other. From their end they don't have any proof that you did this.

That's the danger in using these kiosks. You need to be very careful that you return the discs properly by the instructions or something like this will occur. It usually takes multiple days to get someone out to the machine. In my area its once a week.

It does suck that they wouldn't do anything more, but you did make the error.