Complaint Review: Red Robin Restaurant

• Submitted: Thu, October 11, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, February 19, 2013

• Reported By:Gary Indiana
Red Robin Restaurant
2465 Southlake Mall Merrillville, Indiana U.S.A.

Red Robin Restaurant Discrimination, Calling Police because we had to wait for service. Merrillville Indiana

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I call bull crap

*Consumer Comment: YOU WASTED YOUR EVENING BECAUSE YOU CHOOSE TO FOOLISHLY WAIT

*Consumer Comment: a couple of questions...

on the September 29, 2007 at 8:45 pm my husband, myself and four of our closest friends went to Red Robin for dinner first we waited 15 minutes to be seated a party that arrived after us and another customer were seated and served before us, it took a total of 25 minutes before someone acknowledged us and took our drink orde. Then anothe 30 minutes before we received our drinks, 15 minutes later our order was taken and after 25 minutes still no food our order hadn't even been prepared.

The manager on duty a woman, came overto our table stood 5 feet away from us as if we were beneath her and said here are some COMPLIMENTARY FRIES for you having to wait so long. There were six of us and she gave us four baskets and slid them on to the end of the table. She didn't pass them around. We did not see her at any time after that.

Finally after waiting another 20 minutes we decided forget it we are going to our movie that had missed and we had to cancel because of this. Then we were told that our food was not ready, we said that's alright we are just gonna pau for our drinks and go. (4 milkshakes, one smoothie and a margarita) The server then said let me go check and then told us our food was ready, being already upset and ready to go I told him nicely, calmly and without attitude that is fine we are just gonna go we waited too long and the group of 4 that came in after us were already served and about to leave.

We waited for the bill and wehen he brought it he handed it to me face down and I looked at it and noticed it was 41.96. That was too much i said and I noticed she charged us for 4 fries. I told him to let me speak with the manager and she never came over she had me wait another 15 minutes and then sent us the revised bill which was 28.00 and some change. As we were leaving we noticed that she had called the police on us and the officer started to follow us out and then had backup as well they watched us walk to our cars and leave. We were not rowdy, disrespectful, loud or combative and I felt like a criminal. We were seen leaving the establishment by other customers and that made us look very bad.

I am outraged at this behavior my husband, me and my friends received. I have never had such a bad experience in my life at a restaurant and I love going to Red Robin love the food and everything. Two of our friends had never been there and this is what they had to deal with? They aren't sure they want to go back, and neither am I. we spend a pretty penny when we go out for dinner and that was just to much drama for us. My company was planning a dinner there but now I'm not sure i want to even go back.

I am upset and I hope that there is some way someone could talk with the manager about this incident. I do not want anyone to lose their job but if she is a representation of the Company then she is a poor representative. The server JT was very nice and we do not blame him in total. I even gave him a tip and told him to have a great night and we understood it wasn't his fault.

Could you please look into this because no one should be discriminated against and made out to be doing someting wrong when they aren't.

Msginab
Gary, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/11/2007 11:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Red-Robin-Restaurant/Merrillville-Indiana-46410/Red-Robin-Restaurant-Discrimination-Calling-Police-because-we-had-to-wait-for-service-Me-278407. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Red Robin Restaurant

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I call bull crap

AUTHOR: Alexis - (United States of America)

If there is one thing I've learned: if something doesn't make sense, it isn't true.  I believe you are grossly exaggerating your story and leaving some thing's out.

First off, you were constantly looking at you watch and counting every single little detail on how long things took.  I worked for Red Robin for many year's.  I added up all the wait time.  You seriously are trying to tell me you waited for 1 hour and 35 minutes without food?  I think your full of it.  Also, you take on the extra 20 minutes you said at the end when you said "the group of four had been served and were leaving" that mean's that they were there for 1 hour and 55 minutes.  The year's that I worked there my average table time from sit-down till leaving was 30-40 minutes.  Even on a busy night 1 hour average.  Your lying.

Also, you seem to have to state over and over that you weren't "disrespectful" or "rowdy" or "loud" or "combative".  Usually when someone feel's the need to restate something like that over and over again, usually means they were being what they said they weren't.

Also, you said when she brought fries to your table she stood "five feet away" and was looking down at you.  And put them on the end of the table.  I'm sorry, if she was five feet away, she wouldn't be able to put the fries on your table.  Even an NBA star that is 6'9 doesn't have an arm reach of five feet.

If you had an issue, then post it.  But your article isn't being truthful.  Your lying throughout the whole thing.

Also, you were going to a movie that "you had missed and canceled" because of being at Red Robin so long.  How could you go to a movie that you canceled?

Lastly, no one would call the police without reason for doing so.  No one.  And if what your saying is true, which it isn't, they police wouldn't have come unless they were informed of a legit reason for coming, nor would they have followed you out if you weren't being "rude" or "combative".  They would ONLY have followed you out if you were being that way.  My father was a cop for 35 year's, and I ran this  by him and he agreed with my theory.

Don't come on here and ruin a companies reputation for something you did wrong.  You know you were pulling some crap.  Weather you admit it or not.

YOU WASTED YOUR EVENING BECAUSE YOU CHOOSE TO FOOLISHLY WAIT

AUTHOR: Margaret - (U.S.A.)

I may have waited up to 25 minutes for a seat but after 10 minutes and no drinks I would have got up and left. This is what you should have done and found another place to eat. Also never eat at that establishment again.

a couple of questions...

AUTHOR: Striderq - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I have a couple of questions to ask if I could.

You say that a party that arrived after you was seated first. How many people in that party? And the "customer" that was also seated first, was this just one person? The reason I ask these questions is that I have worked in restaurants (not Red Robin) and it may have been that there was a table available for the individual or the smaller party that would not have accomodated the six people in your party.

And just exactly how in all of this is this discrimination? Did you witness other people of your "group" (whatever group that is, it doesn't matter to me but discrimination is when someone of a certain group is treated differently than everyone else) being treated the same way you were? Or were some of your "group" being treated better.

Seems to me that you just unfortunately went in on a busy night, where there were a lot of customers and not enough staff to go around. And while JT may have been very polite (and I know it's not his fault) but maybe he can't handle as large of a section of the restaurant that they had him assigned to.