Complaint Review: Red Rocks Community College Sonography Programs

• Submitted: Thu, August 07, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, December 10, 2012

• Reported By:westminster Colorado
Red Rocks Community College Sonography Programs
5420 Miller Street Arvada, Colorado U.S.A.

Red Rocks Community College Sonography Programs Unprofessional, unorganized, unwilling to help students, unwilling to teach, unwilling to educate, just a scam to take your money which appears to be a bunch of frat boys pretending to run a college program. Arvada Colorado

*Consumer Comment: To Follow Up on my last post...

*General Comment: I am a current student in the Red Rocks Ultrasound program

*Consumer Comment: Education is key

The Sonography Program at Red Rocks Community College is trying to make a name for itself by being the second program in Colorado to produce successful sonographers. The students accepted are of a selective few that are hand picked to be a part of this program.

What they do not tell you is that the first semester is like a tryout period. If you do not pass the unknown test, you will be kicked out and unable to return with no warning or heads up that you are not making the team.

I noticed from the first day of class that the Director and his fill in teacher buddy/program coordinator, were very unprofessional, unorganized, unprepared, unwilling to help, gave no direction, no supervision, and no guidance. It was clear that learning how to scan and use a ultrasound machine was not going to be taught by the guidance and supervision of the teachers. Maybe this was part of the test to see who could survive the best with little to no guidance.

The program coordinator, the king of no guidance, always seemed lost and confused and would have to check in regularly with the director to see what he was suppose to be doing. He was never prepared for class and did not know the power points he was showing or what questions would be on the quizzes for the whole 4 months of class. He would laugh at the students questions by saying, "I am just filling in until the fall when I gets to start the Echo program".

DO NOT to Red Rocks Community College Sonography Program if you expect to receive a good education. It had to be some of the worst teaching or lack of teaching I have ever seen. They seemed very happy that we were all adults so we could teach ourselves the material and they could do other things....like check out u-tube and checking email.

DO NOT enter this program if you expect the teachers to actually teach you the material and help you succeed.

BEWARE!!! Clinical sites set their own expectations for the students so every site has different expectations and every supervisor at those sites has their own expectations. It is not the same for each student. This makes if very easy for them to fail you if you are at the wrong site.

If you are not meeting the unset, unshared expectations, the supervisors will fail you. They, the directors friends, are not there to teach you but there to judge you, laugh at you, make fun of you and critizise you. They decide if they want to keep you in the program or fail you. If they do not like you, they will not help you progress and you will be kicked out of the program!!

WATCH OUT!!! If the Director or Program Coordinator decides early on, like with in 4 weeks, that he does not like you or feel you do not have what it takes to be a sonographer, you will be placed at clincal site where the directors buddies work. These supervisors will set unrealistic expectations on these pre-selected students and without any warning, they will fail you and you will be kick you out of the program.

60% of the students under the directors friends, at the same clinical site, FAILED!!! This was a total of 30% of the sonography class. O% failed at the other clinical sites that were not under the supervision of the director's friends.

60% of the students failed at the same clinical site.
100% of the students passes at a different clinical sites.
33% of the total class failed after the first semester.

It seems too easy for the director to fail a student out of the program and the director appeared very happy when he did fail a student and very happy take your money.

westminster, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2008 03:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Red-Rocks-Community-College-Sonography-Programs/Arvada-Colorado-80002/Red-Rocks-Community-College-Sonography-Programs-Unprofessional-unorganized-unwilling-to-360487. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Red Rocks Community College Sonography Programs

To Follow Up on my last post...

AUTHOR: Val - ()

...I am now a graduate of the Red Rocks program and while my first year was very straight forward and I had a good experience, my second (clinical) year was very different. There was tremendous upheaval as the Director left the program and there was quite literally chaos. I don't know how things have settled and if I were a prospective student, knowing what I know now, I would wait a few years to see what happens with the program, even if that means finding a different program out of state.

#2 General Comment

I am a current student in the Red Rocks Ultrasound program

AUTHOR: val - (United States of America)

I am rebutting a report against the Sonography program at Red Rocks Community College that was written in 2008. I cannot vouch for or against anything the author stated about his/her experience in the program. However, I am a current student of the program, in 2012, and I can state with absolute accuracy that the Sonography program is not at all how the author describes.

This is finals week so I have been a student in the program for a full semester. The instructors have been not only prepared all semester and extremely knowledgeable in their subject areas but are always eager to help or assist with anything we as students have needed.

Yes, the students are "hand picked" from a lot of applicants, but it's based on particular criteria, not friends of friends. The selection process was rigorous and it was clear from the outset that this is a sought after program, and therefore difficult to get into. They choose the number of students based on their projection of how many jobs are available in the market.

It has been very clear from the outset that the program is intensive, challenging and demanding. It has been very clear from the beginning that a non-passing grade at the end of the semester means you don't continue the program, and that is to be expected. There have been no surprises whatsoever in terms of the expectations of the program.

I have not started clinicals so I can't speak to experiences there, but I can say that throughout the semester I have seen both instructors extremely involved in going to current clinical sites, keeping in touch with the students and mentors, and their concern for the success and welfare of their students is very apparent, in the most positive ways.

The program cost is not a scam. In fact it's the most reasonably priced program I found when applying to different colleges, by a large margin, and as far as I can tell the program has the best reputation in the state.

Perhaps a number of years ago the Sonography program at Red Rocks had some issues. Perhaps this certain individual just had a singular negative experience. My experience has shown that the program is very organized, professional and fun! I feel very grateful to be a part of the program!

I don't know who wrote the negative review about the program as he/she signed as Anonymous. My name is Valery and I'm from Lakewood CO.

Education is key

AUTHOR: Sonoguy - (U.S.A.)

To all parties involved at RRCC I would like to take this opportunity to comment on the negative report regarding the Ultrasound program at RRCC. I am involved with the Ultrasound program indirectly. I run one of the clinical sites that this person is warning the general public about. First, let me say that these comments are in no way reflective of the views of RRCC. I am speaking from a very personal position.

I had the pleasure of participating in this person's training. Although this person feels that they were not given the opportunity to learn in this environment it is clear to all of those who dealt with this individual that they clearly lack the ability to take any resposibility for his or her education. The program has many avenues to reach out and get help if you feel the need for added support. I grade these individuals on a bi-weekly basis. This evaluation is made available and was ignored by this individual the enitre time while attending RRCC. This person's inate ability to blame everyone around them was something that comes very easy to this person. This person who wrote the initial report needs to step back, evaluate the situation, take some resposibility for their lack of dedication to this field and understand that not everyone CAN or SHOULD be a Sonographer. This person would have done a disservice to the general public as a Sonographer and unfortuanetly cannot handle the fact that VERY educated, credentialed individuals have deemed them unable to comply with the strict rigors of the program. I do not feel that just because one shows up for class and pays the fee deserves to graduate. If you were a patient...do you not want the person taking your care into their hands to be the BEST? I know I do. This person needs to understand that the world needs ditch diggers, and in this person's case bartenders. Please do yourself a favor and educate yourself on this program, make your own decisions and leave the uneducated banter of someone who cannot even bother to check grammer and spelling before berating a school on their ability to educate.