Complaint Review: Redbox

• Submitted: Sat, May 22, 2010
  • Updated: Thu, July 22, 2010

• Reported By: C — Loveland Colorado U.S.A.
Redbox

Redbox Purchased DVD will not play , Internet

*Author of original report: Redbox offered to take back DVD & refund

DISCOVERY since I've written Redbox:  The DVD purchased is BLANK.

First Message:  Message: This is about a purchased DVD. I am a regular Redbox customer and have never had a problem playing DVDs. I purchased 'Inkheart' and attempted to play it for first time tonight. I tried playing both sides, Standard and Widescreen and the DVD player gets hung up on the 'LOADING' function. I can't even STOP it. I have to OPEN to get it to quit. Any suggestions? If there's no reasonable way to get to play, I want a refund. Thanks so much.

Redbox Response:  Hello C....,  Thank you for your e-mail. Your comments, suggestions & business are important to us. Please be advised when you purchased a used DVD from our kiosk, you are purchasing it "as is". We cannot issue any credit for this issue. I apologize for any inconvenience.  If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns, please let us know and anyone in customer service would be more than happy to assist you.

Kaylee
redbox Customer Care
1.866.REDBOX3
www.redbox.com

My Final Response:  Going into a third year of renting from Redbox we have never had a problem, until now. This is my first purchased DVD and I've tried playing it on two players, playing both the Widscreen and Standard sides.  Both get stuck on 'LOADING' function.  How is it that suddenly a DVD for purchase is formatted differently from the normal cache of Redbox rental DVDs?  Was the DVD I purchased a Redbox rental DVD before I purchased it?  Even the worst of the Redbox rental DVDs played just fine after a cleaning.  You didn't even offer any suggestions on what I might do to fix this problem.  Redbox has my money on an 'As is' product, so no need for customer service.  Huh?

I will share my experience online with RipOff Report and Consumer Affairs to let others know it is DEFINITELY caveat emptor when purchasing DVDs from Redbox.  I will be happy to support my local DVD rental business at a slightly higher cost.

Whatever integrity Redbox HAD with me is history

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/22/2010 10:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Redbox/internet/Redbox-Purchased-DVD-will-not-play-Internet-606110. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Redbox

Redbox offered to take back DVD & refund

AUTHOR: Char - (U.S.A.)

After notifying Redbox complaint was made to RipOff Report, offered to take back the DVD and refund the money.  While we use the same DVD cleaning solution on all DVDs we rent, that didn't help this one that was purchased.  Someone suggested using rubbing alcohol and using that caused it to play.  I told Redbox there was no need to return the DVD or to issue a refund because I would rather keep the DVD.  I let them know it was too bad I had to jump through this hoop to get the satisfaction I should have received in the beginning.  Thank you anyway, Redbox.