Complaint Review: Regency Camera, Digital E-tailers, CompDirect.Com

• Submitted: Wed, June 27, 2001
  • Updated: Wed, June 27, 2001

• Reported By:Hampton nh
Regency Camera, Digital E-tailers, CompDirect.Com
Avenue U Brooklyn New York, New York U.S.A.

Regency Camera, Digital E-tailers, CompDirect.Com ..Warning! poor service, consumer fraud

Warning! All of these camera/Camcorder dealers have poor service, attitudes and are "potentially" Grey product dealers (See below). All require a confirmation phone call for web transactions.

They say these phone calls are to prevent fraud but the call ends up being a sales pitch for items that you did not specify in your web order. In addition all of these retailers have salesmen with poor attitudes. They almost seem like they were part of the same sales force.

All conversations ended with me canceling any order that I submitted via the web. I am sorry and worried that I submitted my credit card info to them via the web. I will refuse to pay for any camcorder they send. All of these guys were on pricegrabber.com. I wanted to rate these guys in Gomez but could not find a link to do so.

Here are the specific complaints: Digital E-tailers called for confirmation and started selling me accessories that I did not want. It was one of those really hard sells. When I said no, they questioned my decision. I ended the conversation at that point and went to the next guy on the list.

Regency Camera said that their camcorder was on a 4-5 week backorder. I then said I wanted to cancel my order. Instead of saying yes sir. They did the hard sell again and questioned why I was canceling my order. I laughed over the phone at the salesman's tactics. He got angry and it just got worse from there. Again I ended the conversation with a verbal cancellation order and a good bye.

The CompDirect.com salesman started asking personal questions about how I was going to use the camcorder and if I was going to go on a vacation soon (very suspicious!). I refused to answer and said I just wanted to buy a camcorder. The salesman was not satisfied with my response but he did not get angry. With the previous two conversations still in my mind it took me 5 additional seconds before I realized a pattern was developing. I ended the phone with an order cancellation.

All of these retailers had low prices and my research suggests they may be Grey Market Dealers. The following statement is from a more reputable retailer: "Some retailers purchase and sell 'Gray Market' products overseas for unauthorized and unsupported resale in the United States. The products may look the same and carry a cheaper price tag, but the manufacturer for sale in the U.S. has not approved them, and many do not meet the same performance guidelines.

It is important to note some sites offer 'gray market' items with no warranty or guarantee. These sites may not offer assistance in case you should require repairs. Chances are if the price looks to good to be true, it is consider a grey market item. "

As a final note all of these retailers above are based out of NY. Both regency and digital E-tailers are on the same street in Brooklyn. What a surprise!. CompDirect.com is also out of NY.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Regency-Camera-Digital-E-tailers-CompDirectCom/Brooklyn-New-York-New-York-11223/Regency-Camera-Digital-E-tailers-CompDirectCom-Warning-poor-service-consumer-fraud-5560. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Regency Camera, Digital E-tailers, CompDirect.Com