Complaint Review: Regions Bank

• Submitted: Fri, April 25, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, April 25, 2008

• Reported By:Hoover Alabama
Regions Bank
2405 Thomas Drive Panama City Beach, Florida U.S.A.

Regions Bank I have been unfairly charged N.S.F. fees by Regions Bank Panama City Beach Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Info for the future.

While I was out of town working, I was making deposits, and paying my bills using several different regions bank branches. I was normaly met with courteous and friendly help and my business would go as planned.

I have several automatic deposits, and automatic bill pays tied to my account. I have kept up with my account to the exact penny the last couple of weeks, because money is tight and I have a pregnant girlfriend that is not doing well and i knew I would need extra money to travel on.

On the morning of April 23rd 2008, I went to the regions bank in Milton Florida and made a deposit of 40 dollars cash that posted and cleared as planned that business day. I knew that I had a check for 50 dollars, and an automatic payment for 150 dollars that would clear that evening. I would be left with $2.99 in my account. I also knew that I would get a direct deposit from my employer that evening which would post at midnight for the ammount of $138.75.

However when I woke up on the morning of April 24th 2008. I Went to the regions bank in Gulf Shores Alabama to deposit another check in the amont of $78.63. I asked for $5.00 back from that deposit, and the teller informed me that I was over drawn. While speaking with a customer service agent I was told that the two checks I had out cleared at about midnight the night before, but the bank did not post my direct deposit till somewhere between 12:00 A.m. and six a.m. which made some of my check card purchases go into the red because they beat the deposit.

My available balance nor my ledger balance never were below the available funds. This is not a fair way to do business, because the bank obviously can pick and choose when they want to post a transaction to better bennefit themselves. After this My balance was negative $13.00. The agent there basicaly said he could not help, and said I was just going to have to be more carefull, and I should call my local branch. Itold him that I had used my check card three times early that morning, and I asked if I would be charged a nsf fee for them too. He said no not if you deposit some more money now.

I went on and deposited my check for $78.63 and expected to at least get out of the hole and I would contact my local branch and deal with the other fees later. Instead I was charged another $105.00 nsf fee. because they posted the purchases before the deposit. Now I am stuck out of town broke.

Not only am I out the $ 210.00 dollars in nsf fees. I am out the $200.00 dollars put in the bank in the first place. This is clearly not a fair way to do business. Even if they take into account that if they were right in the first place about the transactions on the 23rd of april beating the deposit it still would have only been about $11.00. Now I am out close to 400.00, and the worry of not getting back to my pregnant girlfriend on time.

William
Hoover, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/25/2008 06:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Regions-Bank/Panama-City-Beach-Florida-32408/Regions-Bank-I-have-been-unfairly-charged-NSF-fees-by-Regions-Bank-Panama-City-Beach-Fl-328802. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Regions Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Info for the future.

AUTHOR: Nikki - (U.S.A.)

If you get paid via direct deposit tonight, at midnight, it is as though you are paid tomorrow. Forget your thinking about tonight at midnight or you will get into trouble. Your direct deposit does not post with today's date, it posts with tomorrow's date. However, any purchases you make today are held off your available balance as of today's date, hence the fees. Then of course when they deduct the fees, you now don't have enough money for the purchases to hard post when the merchant submits them, so you get more fees.

Also, sounds like if your $40 cash deposit was credited after your postings (check and auto payment) were debited. If you make a cash deposit today, you may as well figure you cannot use the money until tomorrow. If you make a cash deposit today, then something comes through for posting today, your postings will come out before your deposit goes in and you will incur the fees, even though you, in real time, made the deposit before the items posted.

I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just the way it works.