Complaint Review: Regions Bank

• Updated: Thu, March 10, 2005

• Reported By:Putnam Connecticut
Regions Bank
online.regions.com Internet U.S.A.

Regions Bank ripoff asked me to click on link to update software problem . I never have done business with this bank RIPOFF Internet

*Consumer Comment: Your bank will never ask you

*Consumer Comment: IT'S NOT A REGIONS RIP-OFF, IT'S A PHISHING SCAM

I received an e-mail today 3/9/05 with "Subject" Bank Region followed by a link saying sorry for the inconvience but I needed to do a software upgrade. I have no accounts with this so called bank. I put in their e-mail for search and it came up showing "Rip-Off Report showing complaints from others receiving this e-mail also. So I'm reporting mine also due to not knowing what this Bank has of mine as in information. I also sent Alert to all my e-mail friends warning them of this scam.

Linda
Putnam, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/09/2005 02:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Regions-Bank/internet/Regions-Bank-ripoff-asked-me-to-click-on-link-to-update-software-problem-I-never-have-do-134363. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Regions Bank

Your bank will never ask you

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

No legitimate financial institution is going to request you enter any account information by email. You did the right thing in calling the bank.

IT'S NOT A REGIONS RIP-OFF, IT'S A PHISHING SCAM

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

I got a similar one for Wachovia Bank as well as the one for Regions. People conducting these scams use graphics, etc. off of the legitimate web site and ask you to update your information or to download their software, which is usually loaded with malware such as password stealers, dialers, and other nasty Trojans. One dead giveway (other than the fact that I don't and never had banked with either institution) is the blatant spelling errors ("we appriciate your cooperation")and the fact that banks and credit card companies would NEVER ask for social security number, card number, PIN or verification code via email. Also note that with the sign in on these "account sign in", you could sign in as Mogilla Gorilla and put any "password" you want and it will take you right to their page to "update".

If you get one, these banks usually have a special email address set up for forwarding of these. I know that the email for Regions is [email protected]

Another thing: If these scammers put real links in their spoof site, they ALL take you to a page that states that they never ask for secure information via email. I find that rather comical, but the people who fall for these scams fail to check it out.