Complaint Review: Register.Com, Inc.

• Submitted: Sun, October 10, 2004
  • Updated: Sun, October 10, 2004

• Reported By:Helena Montana
Register.Com, Inc.
575 Eighth Avenue, 11th Floor New York, New York U.S.A.

Register.com Rip-Off Obfuscates then fails to process administrative contact change request for domain names registered through the company. New York New York

1. One CANNOT change the administrative contact for DNS domains registered with the company via online means, unless receipt of confirmation/verification email is possible at the original administrative contact email (that used when the domains were originally registered. (In my case confirmation is impossible because changing my ISP invalidated my original email address and many years have passed since I first registered my domains). In my opinion, this practive is, at best, very strange/suspicious, especially when considering that the company DOES allow me to maintain my online account (username/password), update the IP addresses for my domains freely at any time, and renew my registration (pay fees via credit card) -- all online.

2. Therefore because I am not able to receive confirmation email at the originally registered email address nor produce the original credit card number used for my first (but not current) registrations, I am forced to use the company's alternative (fax) means to update the administrative contact information for my domains.

3. On Sept 15, 2004, I faxed such a request, including a copy of a picture ID (presumably to verify my identity) to the company, but they claim my fax was illegible.

4. I re-faxed my request on Sept 29, 2004, but have yet to receive a response acknowledging receipt nor status regarding my request.
5. In the interim, I have submitted several online requests and made telephone inquiries regarding my latest request. To date, I have received no formal confirmation regarding my request to change my adminstrative contact except this email, quoted below:

"Dear Todd Ryder,

Thank you for contacting Register.com.

This email is in response to your inquiry regarding the changes in the administrative contact for the domain names "toddryder.com" and "moneyscraper.com".

We understand that you have re-sent the required documents through fax again. Please be informed that the documents mush have reached the appropriate department and they will be contacting you with 24/72 hours regarding the changes.

If you have any further questions or encounter any difficulties with your domain name in the future, please respond to this incident by replying, or using the link included at the beginning of this email. You can also contact a Customer Support representative 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at the numbers below.

Thank you for choosing Register.com, the First Step on the Web(TM)."

I have not received the promised (24/72 hours) followup and can therefore only conclude that I am stuck with this registrar and its horrendous customer support, unless I allow my domains to EXPIRE (risky, someone else could claim them in the interim).

Can you help, or at least broadcast my travails, in the hopes that others will think twice before dealing with register.com for domain name registration.

Todd
Helena, Montana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2004 11:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RegisterCom-Inc/New-York-New-York-10018/Registercom-Rip-Off-Obfuscates-then-fails-to-process-administrative-contact-change-reques-112285. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Register.Com, Inc.