- Report: #1152979
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: RelayRides
RelayRides116 Natoma St San Francisco, California USA
RelayRides Ridiculous service to renter San Francisco California
*Consumer Comment: Normal Wear and Tear
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
I listed my Porsche Boxster 99 on RelayRides.com for rent for the first time. And I had the worst nightmare ever with a peer to peer car rental company. My car ran into problems of which were noted as "Wear and tear" issues by RelayRides.
Refer to this insurance exclusion: http://support.relayrides.com/entries/22521157-Who-is-responsible-for-normal-wear-and-tear-of-the-vehicle-
Sure, RelayRides claim:
We’ve got you covered
Keeping you and your car safe is our priority
It gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that nothing is going to happen, and if, should anything happen, you're in safe hands, because big brother RelayRides will be here to save you.
That's what I got bought into.
The car was rented out at San Francisco, and the renter drove more than 500 miles on it, and then said there was an issue with the coolant level, brought it into a Porsche dealership at Fresno (that's ~190 miles from San Francisco) to check what's going on. RelayRides told him to leave the car there, and to rent another one to continue with his vacation. RelayRides subsequently contacted me to tell me the car is at Fresno Porsche, and that they are not going to be responsible for ANYTHING. ie. I won't get ANY money from renting the car out. Purely because they have "spent a lot of money compensating the renter to get another car and dealing with his inconvenience".
So what was I left with to handle?
1. My car which was at Fresno Porsche, which I had to pay close to $1,500 for replacing the coolant tank because the tank had cracked.
2. I am in San Francisco, and of course, had no car to drive, because it was rented out.
3. I have to FIGURE my own way to retrieve the car back from Fresno which was 3 hours away from San Francisco.
4. I will not get any money from the listing.
I fought for my case that it was ridiculous and it was brought to the management team of RelayRides to decide what's going to happen. The car was rented in good faith and condition that it would be returned on the promised date at the same location it was picked up, which was in San Francisco. And who is going to compensate for the additional 500 miles that has been added to the car mileage?
RelayRides management team made a decision to settle and close my case by paying me half the listing price at $150 for ALL of the trouble, and still left me with the same problem of having to retrieve the car by myself from Fresno.
So after my car was finally repaired, it was 2 days after the promised date that I was supposed to get my car back, I had to ask a favor of a friend to drive a single car down with the both of us for 3 hours to Fresno, and then pick up my Porsche, drive another 3 hours back up to San Francisco, adding another 300 miles to my Porsche, and 300 miles to my friend's car.
My total damage?
1. $1,500 for repairs.
2. 6 hours of lost time to retrieve my abandoned car in Fresno which no one claimed responsibility for.
3. 6 hours of my friend's time
4. 800 additional miles on my Porsche
5. 300 miles on my friend's car who kindly did a favor of driving me down to Fresno to pick up the Porsche, and drove the car back up to San Francisco thereafter
And what do I get back?
Lukewarm justification from RelayRides that this is the best they can offer me to compensate $150 for everything, because they had spent too much time and resources handling the matter, and returned the renter the price he rented the car for. I asked for a car to travel down to Fresno to pick up my own Porsche, to which, they firmly rejected me and offered the same reason.
And then, my account got banned on RelayRides.com.
Well done RelayRides. Great customer service.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/07/2014 08:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RelayRides/San-Francisco-California/RelayRides-Ridiculous-service-to-renter-San-Francisco-California-1152979. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.