Complaint Review: Reliant Energy Company

• Submitted: Sun, March 01, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, March 01, 2009

• Reported By:Dallas Texas
Reliant Energy Company
reliantenergy.com Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

Reliant Energy Company Billed after 6 months of incorrect meter readings Dallas Texas

On February 2009 I received a corrected bill from Reliant Energy saying that I owe $468 for that month. This was quite a shock to me because in the past six months I had been paying an avg. of $60; and since I am single, rarely at home, don't even turn on AC or Heater often, probably 3-6hrs/day at the most, I thought this was appropriate.

Looking over my corrected bill I saw that in the previous months they had received wrong readings and they are now charging me in full.

ONCOR does their meter readings, so I decided to sign up on their website to see my readings. Turns out that I can (online) check my readings at 15-minute intervals. So how is it that Reliant got wrong readings in a period of 6 months? Actually it probably was more than that, but by State law they cannot charge me beyond 6 months.

Is it right that I have to assume full responsibility for their mistake, and the only way that Reliant Energy holds itself accountable is by saying that they're sorry? Now I have this $468 bill that I did not expect and am not in the best financial position to be able to pay it.

Lesson Learned: I will now be checking the meter myself, to make sure they do not underbill me.

Resident in dallas
Dallas, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2009 01:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Reliant-Energy-Company/Dallas-Texas-75243/Reliant-Energy-Company-Billed-after-6-months-of-incorrect-meter-readings-Dallas-Texas-429657. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Reliant Energy Company