Complaint Review: Reliant Energy

• Submitted: Wed, May 26, 2004
  • Updated: Sun, August 14, 2011

• Reported By:Manassas Virginia
Reliant Energy
P.O. Box 4932 Houston, Texas U.S.A.

Reliant Energy, Inc. RELIANT ENERGY SCAM: Reliant Energy Indicted...Ripping Off Customers...AVOID RELIANT! Houston Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: They are billing me for one extra month.

*General Comment: I agree, but....

*Consumer Suggestion: RELIANT ENERGY IS GOOD!

*Consumer Comment: I still have Reliant..just for 2 more months

NOTE: See below for detail on how Reliant Energy was indicted on April 8, 2004 for wire fraud and conspiracy charges for price manipulation in California during their energy crisis in June 2000.

Now for my story. Recently I was handed a $230 electric bill for a 2-bedroom apartment. I don't even use that much electricity! We keep our heat at 68 and our AC at 80. We have mostly all energy-saving low-wattage light bulbs. We don't run our oven. Our water heater is set very low. We've done everything under the moon to lower our bill. So I was SHOCKED to receive this huge bill from Reliant, who PROMISED lower bills than the competition.

When I called to contest this high bill, the customer service lady threatened me, saying, "Well sir, then we'll turn your electricity off for non-payment." Great customer service. So basically we were stuck paying this huge bill. However, I immediately switched back to the incumbent utility.

Reliant promises lower rates, but it's a lie and a trap. They lure customers in with rebates and free cash. I got in on the $50 deal - if you switch to Reliant, you get $50. Problem is, you lose that and then some because they bilk you for far more than the $50 you supposedly "gained" by switching to Reliant.

The customer service lady I was talking to (one of the many I spoke with - I had to call several times because the wait times were excruciating) on the phone swore up and down emphatically that they NEVER raise rates because they'd have to go through a rigorous approval process. I looked at my Reliant bills, and the line item called "Fuel Factor for Generation" had gone UP from .045714 KWH to .051130 KWH from February to March of this year. This item shows your total energy consumption and the per-killowatt hour fee your electric utility is charging you. In other words, Reliant raised my rates.

I told the lady this - that it's not true Reliant never raises rates - because the proof is right here in my hands. The lady hesitated and responded, "Sir, well, the rates go up depending on the season. Now I'm not sure, maybe I got my seasons wrong." Yeah right.

I've heard other horror stories about Reliant. I just heard yesterday that Reliant charged someone else a $5000 residential electric bill. Obviously this was a mistake - $5000 is more like a commercial bill than a residential one. This person had a very hard time with Reliant's customer service department, who didn't want to hear it. Also, they tried to charge this person for coming out to read their meter!

Lastly, Reliant's marketing methods are in very poor taste. The other day, we had a knock on the door and some guy says, "We'd like to talk to you about your electric bill." My wife was alone in the apartment. She didn't answer the door, because news alerts have stated many times (it's a fact) that robbers will pose as utility workers in order to gain entrance into your home and harm you. Besides, if your electric utility company has a problem with your bill, they will CALL you. Anyhow, we saw a guy walking in the stairwell with a clipboard, and I asked him, "Are you from Reliant?" He says yes - big surprise. He then asked me if I'd like to save on my bills, and I laughed and told him I'm already with Reliant. These aggressive, suspicious marketing tactics make Reliant out to be fools.

Reliant has slick advertising and tempting offers including cash bonuses for signing up, but DON'T FALL FOR IT! You will LOSE lots of money in the long run (and short run as well).

Is it any wonder then that Reliant Energy was indicted on April 8, 2004 for wire fraud and conspiracy charges for price manipulation in California during their energy crisis in June 2000? Read below:

From a web site:

Reliant Resources Asserts Subsidiary Violated No Laws, Plans Vigorous Defense
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 8, 2004

Houston Reliant Resources was notified today that a federal grand jury in San Francisco, California has returned an indictment against one of its subsidiaries as well as two former and two current employees on charges related to an alleged violation of the Commodity Exchange Act and related wire fraud and conspiracy charges. The company announced that this action was expected in a press release on March 8.

The indictment is based on allegations that the subsidiary, Reliant Energy Services, Inc. engaged in price manipulation by curtailing Reliant's electricity generation in California on two days in June 2000. Reliant Energy Services is the subsidiary of Reliant Resources responsible for purchasing fuel for and marketing the power produced by its generation facilities.

We believe the actions that are the subject of the indictment were not in violation of laws, tariffs or regulations in effect at the time, said Reliant Resources General Counsel Mike Jines. During the week in question, electricity was plentiful in California, there was no supply shortage, no ISO-declared emergency and no blackouts, and prices were relatively low. There is absolutely no basis to contend that this conduct contributed to the energy shortage that occurred in California later that year. We intend to contest these charges vigorously.

Moreover, any suggestion that Reliant did not fully cooperate with the Department of Justice investigation is inaccurate and unfair. The company voluntarily disclosed the conduct, agreed to a settlement with the FERC, assisted in making evidence available to the CFTC and Department of Justice, and made a series of presentations to the Department of Justice concerning the facts and the law. What Reliant did not do was agree that the conduct constitutes a criminal offense, Jines said.

We don't believe that this action will have any material impact on our ongoing business operations, including any impact on credit or debt agreements; the wholesale license held by Reliant Energy Services; the retail and wholesale licenses held by other subsidiaries; or contracts and agreements to which Reliant Energy Services is a party, Jines said.

In January 2003, Reliant entered into a settlement agreement with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission regarding the same actions that are the subject of the indictment. In the settlement, Reliant neither admitted, nor denied, that these actions affected prices in any market, or violated any law, tariff or regulation.

Reliant Resources, Inc., (NYSE: RRI) based in Houston, Texas, provides electricity and energy services to retail and wholesale customers in the U.S., marketing those services under the Reliant Energy brand name. The company provides a complete suite of energy products and services to more than 1.8 million electricity customers in Texas ranging from residences and small businesses to large commercial, industrial and institutional customers. Reliant also serves large commercial and industrial clients in the PJM (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland) Interconnection. The company has approximately 20,000 megawatts of power generation capacity in operation, under construction or under contract.

Ron
Houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/26/2004 08:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Reliant-Energy/Houston-Texas-77210-4932/Reliant-Energy-Inc-RELIANT-ENERGY-SCAM-Reliant-Energy-IndictedRipping-Off-Customers-93014. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Reliant Energy

They are billing me for one extra month.

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

I received  a bill collection notice 5 month after I switched to Just Energy. They issued my 1 year contract in February 16 , 2010. I switched to Just Energy in March 2 of this year. I think that is more than 1 year.

#2 General Comment

I agree, but....

AUTHOR: Pop - (United States of America)

I agree, don't use the higher priced incumbent, but also don't use Reliant, they are trying to say that I owe (for 3 days service, yes only three days service) almost $500.00, well they can keep on trying, because they are CRAZY, I told them I would pay a fair 0.10 per kwh for 3 days 72 hours but that is not good enough,so I called Cirro, best move in a long time, 0.560 per kwh + Oncor delivery chg., total of 0.833 per kwh, lowest price I have found, I would recommend everyone call Cirro & ck. their rates. All are not the same, but still plenty lower than txu or Reliant.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

RELIANT ENERGY IS GOOD!

AUTHOR: Javi85 - (U.S.A.)

Reliant energy is a lot cheaper than CPL Retail energy and TXU Energy. For example in January 2008 CPL was at 20.1 cents per kwh, TXU was at 15.1 and RELIANT was at 13.9. So if you used 1000kwh your bill is as follows:

CPL RETAIL ENERGY- $201.00

TXU ENERGY- $151.00

RELIANT ENERGY- $139.00

Thats right up to 40% cheaper. You freaking retarded if you stay with the incumbent utility company.

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

I as a former employee of Reliant energy worked in many different groups. I was basically an escalated services specialist that worked through the complicated problems for customers....

First of all, in regards to the rate situation where the rates were changing from one bill to another, the customer and the Reliant rep were correct. The rates did go up, but could have went up for one of two reasons. I know it sounds like the runaround, but follow me here as I have nothing to gain by lying to anyone...

1)Reliant's fuel factor for generation charge or fuel charge rates can be raised twice yearly by a petition to the PUC due to rising natural gas prices. Note, they are required under state law to advise you of their receiving the increase to allow you adequate time to switch away (usually 45 days)

2) The other way that your fuel factor for generation charge and/or base rates could change is a result of the season. For instance, we all know that when it becomes summer time, the demand for electricity is greater (and so is water and many other luxuries to keep us cool). Well, when this happens, the electric utilities (Centerpoint Energy in Houston, TXU Electric Delivery in Dallas, Texas New Mexico Power (now bought out by a company in New Mexico), and American Electric Power)) have to work harder to produce energy.

With Reliant, usually April - October are their peak months, which means that you will pay the highest charges for electricity per kilowatt hour then. November - March, you will pay lower prices per kilowatt hour.

I will say this much though, Reliant is cheaper than the incumbent retail electric provider in your area -- from what I am reading (dallas area) -- it appears to be TXU energy. Many people believe that Reliant is more expensive with TXU energy or other companies because they charge for more electricity usage or mess with your meter readings. WRONG!!!!! All retail electric providers (reliant, txu energy, first choice power, direct energy, gexa) receive their readings from the DEFAULT utility company for that area. In houston, that would be centerpoint energy, Dallas and surrounding areas - TXU ELECTRIC DELIVERY -- not the same as TXU energy (this is a subsidiary). SO what does that mean -- you have one central company which reads your meter and sends the readings to your billing company (or retail electric provider). The retail electric providers further more receive all the readings electronically from the TDSP - transmission distrubtion supplier (TXU ELECTRIC DELIVERY, CENTERPOINT ENERGY, etc) .. Reliant and these other companies simply bill you for the meter reading. How do I know? I use to look at these readings in back office screens. I utilized screens which many customer service reps did not use to locate the information.. I could even tell you the date and time it was sent to us from the utility company.

DO you want to test out my theory? Here is what you do... Take your current company bill.. Take those kilowatts and multiply it by the average rate on your reliant bill.. Write the total down.. Take the same kilowatt usage and multiply it by the average rate on your other bill.. Your bill should come up cheaper (UNLESS YOU LIVE IN HOUSTON -- it will be more expensive)

NOW -- here a few key pieces of information which people can use to their advantage to resolve situations which they are in....

These are state laws (paraphrased) however consult State of Texas--

If you are billed for more than 34 days on an invoice or receive more than one bill for multiple billing periods in a 34 day period, your electric company is required to grant you a deferred payment plan if you request it.... There are a couple of catches though... 1st -- the total amount of the billings has to be over $50. 2nd -- if the billing goes back over 180 days, any amounts billed over 180 days must be credited. For instance, lets say, they billed you for services for Dec 2004 (350.00 billing date of July 2, 2005). SORRY.. You do not have to pay it UNLESS it is proven that you committed some sort of meter tampering or fraud at which time that protection does not count. (LIKE I SAID PREVIOUSLY -- check out the PUC website -- consumer protection for electricity CHAPTER 25)

Reliant does offer a 5 business day extension. However, customers are not aware that an escalated group called the FCR group or closure group can grant you an extension up to 15 business days, provided they want to.. The Deferred payment plan is also an option. However, be mindful, if your payment history is bad (many disconnect notices), the electric company can deny you all together....

I still have Reliant..just for 2 more months

AUTHOR: Maggie - (U.S.A.)

OOOOhhhh my gosh..let me tell you my story. Ok. Me, my husband and my twins moved into a 2 bedroom apartment and before we moved I had the electricity turned on and well..we got to the apartment and then there was water damage so we told the apt manager and they moved us into a bigger apartment for the same price. I was happy about that.

I asked the apt manager if I have to get a new acct# for the electricity, I knew that the service address had to be changed but I didn't know if the account number would change and she said they probably won't change it.

So, I called them and they changed the address in the computer and everything was suppose to be fine. Well, have you heard "out of site, out of mind." Well, we hadn't recvd a bill for about 5 months.

One day my husband gets home after work and he is sitting outside when I pull up with the kids in the car. He said "the lights are out." I knew right away what it was.

At the time we did not have cell phones so I borrowed the neighbors phone and I was argueing for atleast 30 minutes with them. They still had the old address as the service address and they had another address(new apartment)waiting to be connected(5 months later)

They said that on the address that I changed it to still needs the deposit. I think I cused them out. I told them no. I paid the deposit on the first apartment that I never moved into because of water damage and I called yall to change the service address 5 months ago. I told her to transfer the deposit that I had made for the other apartment towards the new apartment.

And, I talked to sooo many people that night. Well, 2 days later the lights were back on. I eneded up paying like 530 over 2 weeks for the past bills that were being mailed to the other apartments mailbox.

I complained and said why do I have to pay for what the other people used. It was their mistake. And yes I know, I should have called as soon as I relized that I wasn't getting a bill. But, when you work and take care of twins that are not even 2 years old yet and have to cook, clean and do everything it can get kind of stress full. Plus I am only 25. I have been doing this for a long time.

I am used to responsibility, but with all that I have to do it is easy to let one or two things slide past you every now and then. Well, I paid them the 530...which is less than what we used in 5 months time anyways..and now my payments pretty much stay at 45 or 49 a month sometimes less.

I just had that one huge problem that went on for about 2 months. Oh...our lights were cut off a second time because someone there was posting my payments to the wrong address or something. I don't know.. I just can't wait to move out at the end of March.

Dallas, Texas.