Jim

• Updated: Sat, January 16, 2010

• Reported By: DeBoraNana — Big Spring Texas United States of America
Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Did not take our deposit and shut off electricity Internet

I had my husband call Reliant to start our new service to our new home a week and a half ago. They were supposed to take out a deposit of $340. I moved in with my son and 2 grandchildren ages 6 and 4. The 4 year old has asthma and has a nebulizer for breathing treatments. The post office had a difficult time locating our mail key, but I finally got it Thursday afternoon. When I got off work and moved more things into our new home, I was able to get the mail. We had moved in Monday. Thursday evening I got the mail. I thought it was odd that I had a bill for the deposit since it should have been taken out of my account. I also thought it was odd that Reliant had a letter stating they were sorry we did not choose them for our electric company. I figured I could deal with it the following day on my lunch hour or after work during business hours. The following day was a Friday. They shut my electricity off!!! My husband called and they said I never paid the deposit! They refused to turn back on the electricity until the following Tuesday even after being told that I had children with health problems and needed the electricity! I called to talk to a supervisor who could not override what the previous supervisor said, even though I had medical reasons why this should not be turned off, besides the fact it was COLD. They immediately took out my deposit though. I canceled my service with them and they still have not credited my account.

I ended up calling TXU who immediately took out my deposit, which was $90 cheaper. The man there looked up the service and stated that it was still in the previous tenant's name! I do not know if Reliant never switched it over to our name or what! I cannot get electricity before Monday no matter what.

What would happen if the 4 year old in my care were to die of an asthma attack because I couldn't get electricity for his breathing treatments? Why did they do this on a Friday before a holiday weekend? Why didn't they take the money out for my deposit rather than sending me a bill for it? I had no access to my new mail box until the night before so I had no knowledge they didn't get their deposit, which should have been taken out of my account the week before. The previous tenant was signed up for electricity through the following Tuesday too. I do not know why there was no contact with me in an attempt to resolve this matter before 2 children were without electricity.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2010 05:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Reliant-Energy/internet/Reliant-Energy-Did-not-take-our-deposit-and-shut-off-electricity-Internet-555418. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Reliant Energy