Complaint Review: Remax One

• Submitted: Thu, December 07, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, December 11, 2006

• Reported By:Worcester Massachusetts
Remax One
27 East Main Street, Webster, Massachusetts U.S.A.

Remax One, Main St., Watch out home buyers, They'll Sabotage your deal and then take your $$ Webster, Massachusetts

*Consumer Suggestion: I gathered that the OP became frustrated....

*Author of original report: Response to Dave,

*Consumer Suggestion: Who is your agent?

*Author of original report: update

Watch Out Home Buyers, Remax One of Webster, MA Plays Dirty!!
I am writing to inform your readers of a business deal I was in with Melinda Titus, with Remax One, at 27 East Main Street, of Webster, MA. While in the process of purchasing a home that they were advertising, I had tons of problems with either no returned phone call or long delay's in their responses back to my real estate agent as well as my Fianc.

I am a first time home buyer and do NOT think that buying a home should be as stressful as Ms. Titus with Remax One had made it for my fianc and I. Due to all of these problems and delays in their responses back to us, we backed out of the purchase.

The sellers of 6 Barry Ave., Dudley, MA then decided that they had the right to keep half of our deposit, which is completely unfair considering we did everything possible to get this deal rolling and us into a new home with no cooperation from the seller's side. Their Remax One that took their home off the market and seemed to do everything in her power to prevent this deal from going through.

I just wanted your readers to know how disappointed I am with their service and would like to give anyone considering using Remax One in Webster, MA a heads up on how unprofessional they are and in my words Play Dirty!

Michele
Worcester, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/07/2006 10:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Remax-One/Webster-Massachusetts-01570/Remax-One-Main-St-Watch-out-home-buyers-Theyll-Sabotage-your-deal-and-then-take-you-224195. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Remax One

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I gathered that the OP became frustrated....

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

Buying or selling a house is a BUSINESS transaction.

"I am a first time home buyer and do NOT think that buying a home should be as stressful as Ms. Titus with Remax One had made it for my fianc and I. " ["....my fianc and me."]

Well, Surprise! Buying- or selling- a house IS stressful! I have bought 4 & sold 3, and I STILL expect stress. There are always surprises! The key is to PREVENT the BIG surprises if possible and MINIMIZE the effects of the small annoying surprises. Any surprises will, 95% of the time, be bad for the buyer. And your key words are DETAILS! DETAILS! DETAILS!

The contract will be interpreted to the favor of the party that did not write the contract, so specificity is paramount.

Whenever you write a purchase or sale contract you include SPECIFIC descriptions of WHAT is supposed to happen, WHEN it is supposed to happen, and WHO is supposed to do it. Get help and guidance from someone loyal to you. The seller's agent, and any agents working sub-agency to the selling agent, are NOT loyal to the buyer! Only a true buyer's agent who the buyer pays is completely loyal to the buyer. Nothing in life, despite what the real estate business tells buyers, is free!

If you as the buyer (or your buyer if you were the seller) must obtain financing, then the contract must state HOW MUCH money, at WHAT interest rate, and WHEN the financing is to be obtained. After all, if the 'buyer' were a clerk at the post office could he ever get a $300,000 loan at 3%? No.

"Time is of the essence" and if any deadline for a buyer's contingency is missed, that contingency simply goes away.

Usually a buyer will require an inspection at the buyer's expense and the buyer will reserve the right to reject the house out of hand BY A SPECIFIED DATE with all of the buyer's deposit money returned if there is an unfavorable inspection report. This is the buyers last legal out if a problem is encountered so the buyer (not a selling agent) should carefully select a hard-nosed inspector. A faulty roof discovered in the inspection is grounds for rejecting the house, the buyer SHOULD then reject the house, and then the seller can counteroffer with a WRITTEN proposed solution i.e. escrow the repair money if the repair is after closing, discount the sale price, etc. Whatever you agree on must be IN WRITING and it should be carefully spelled out in easily completed steps.

Casual or friendly repair schemes are not acceptable.

Response to Dave,

AUTHOR: Michele - (U.S.A.)

Hi Dave, Unfortunately they did accept our offer and legally they are entitiled to keep the 1/2 of our deposit that they did, however the way that they all went about this was just unethical and unprofessional. They accepted our offer, deposited the check we sent them, then did everything in their power to sabotage the agreement. The roof had to be fixed before we were able to get the loan from the bank.

That was the stipulation. My fiance was willing to do it but needed the home owner to pull a permit for us. They continued to blow us off until we decided we didn't want to play their games anymore. The Sellers RE Agent told my agent (who is NOT, thankfully, with Remax One) that they had plenty of cash offers coming in. The house came off the market after two days and now it's back up. This is how they like to take people's money. Who knows if they even planned on moving out in the first place. Just want people to be aware and be careful when dealing with Remax One of Webster, MA!
~M

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Who is your agent?

AUTHOR: Dave - (Canada)

Your agent should have been doing all the stressful stuff. That's why you hire them. Or were they also a ReMax agent?

And they should have told you about the possibility of losing your deposit should you cancel an accepted offer. It was accepted wasn't it?
Otherwise they ARE simple stealing from you, in which case you need to file complaints with whatever agency oversees real estate licensing in your area.

When I sold my condo last year, I had two offers that dissolved for various reasons. When I asked about keeping the deposit, my agent said that there are specific laws about when the deposit becomes forfeit. Laws vary by region, but the basic principle is the same. If they don't accept your offer, they don't get to keep any deposit.

Purchase offers include phrases like "time is of the essence" as well as having specific dates for actions by the two parties. If the seller wasn't forthcoming, it sounds like they failed to accept your offer. Your deposit should be returned.

update

AUTHOR: Michele - (U.S.A.)

Watch Out Home Buyers, Remax One of Webster, MA Plays Dirty!!

The sellers of 6 Barry Ave., Dudley, MA then decided that they had the right to keep half of our deposit, which is completely unfair considering we did everything possible to get this deal rolling and us into a new home with no cooperation from the seller's side. Their agent with Remax One took their home off the market preventing other potentials views from looking at it. The sellers as well as Melinda Titus seemed to do everything in their power to prevent this deal from going through.