Complaint Review: Rent 1st

• Submitted: Wed, October 12, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, October 13, 2011

• Reported By: Tina — Beaumont Texas U.S.A.
Rent 1st
2578 Interstate 10 E Beaumont, Texas United States of America

Rent 1st ADAM , AND HIS STAFF WERE RUDE AND THREATING LEGAL ACTION ON ME FOR BEING ONLY 4 DAYS LATE??? WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS Beaumont, Texas

*General Comment: Sorry this happened

*Consumer Comment: Why not pay on tme?

*Consumer Comment: Unless I mis-read something, you've been habitually late in the short time you've been renting.

I HAVE BEEN RENTING FROM RENT 1ST SINCE MAY OF THIS YEAR.  I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEM EVER SINCE, IN FACT THE ONLY TIME I HAVENT HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEM IS WHEN I PAID UP FOR A MONTH THEN I GOT PHONE CALLS STARTING 2 DAYS BEFORE THE NOTE WAS DUE AND NO MATTER WHO I TALKED TO IT WAS ALWAYS UNPLEASANT RUDE THREATEN INDIVIDUALS I HAVE EVER HAD THE UNFORTUNATE SITUATION OF EXPERIENCING.  AND NO MATTER WHO I TALKED TO AND SAID WHEN I WAS PAYING THE NOTE, THEY NEVER NOTED IT AND I STILL GO PHONE CALLS EVERYDAY FROM SOMEBODY ASKING ME WHEN I WAS MAKING MY PAYMENT.

THEN IT GOT WORSE, THE WOULD SHOW UP AT MY HOUSE ASKING ME TO MAKE PAYMENT OR THEY ARE TAKING IT BACK, IT FELT LIKE I WAS BEING TERRORISED IN MY OWN HOME BY A BUNCH OF THUGS.  I'M A SINGLE STRUGGLING MOTHER, AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN 2 WEEKS OVER DUE FOR ANY PAYMENTS.  WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE'S HEART, IT HARD OUT HERE TO UNDERSTAND ANOTHER PERSON'S STRUGGLE WITHOUT MOUNTING FEAR IN  THERE HEARTS.  I DONT HAVE ANYTHING FANCY I AM BUYING FROM THEM A FRIDGE AND WASHER AND DRYING WHICH I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT AND I HAVE TRIED TO UNDERSTAND THEIR SITUATION BUT THIS KIND OF TREATMENT IS UNACCEPTABLE.  EVERYTIME I'M LATE THEY CHARGE ME A LATE FEE ISNT THAT PUNUISHMENT ENOUGH???? THEY ARE NOW THREATING ME WITH LEGAL ACTION AFTER BEING 4 DAYS LATE ON FRIDGE AND WASHER AND DRYER.  IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF SOMEONE COULD HELP DEAL WITH THESE HORRIBLE SCARY PAID THUGS I WOULD BE GRATEFUL.  THANK YOU, TINA

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/12/2011 04:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rent-1st/Beaumont-Texas-77701/Rent-1st-ADAM-AND-HIS-STAFF-WERE-RUDE-AND-THREATING-LEGAL-ACTION-ON-ME-FOR-BEING-ONLY-4-788027. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rent 1st

#1 General Comment

Sorry this happened

AUTHOR: Christiana - (U.S.A.)

I sympathize with your situation, but you will not get any of that from them as their main goal is to get their money due to them.  If they cut every one who rented from them a break  they would not be in business very long.  That factored with odds that you WILL default is a win-win for them.

Instead of giving them money every month, have them come back and get at least the washer and dryer and start socking away money that would go to them in an envelope and save that up till you can go buy one straight out.  Sears often has basic washers and dryers on sale much of the time and it will be worth the wait saving for it.  If you can pay the rental places you can save for your own.

They are charging you out the wazoo anyway at these rental places, and they do serve a purpose, but it can turn against you if you start missing due dates.  The due date missed by one or two days  or 15 or 20 days still spells out more being charged against you.

There are so many struggling right now and this is one of the last places you will get any sympathy or a break from.  Good luck to you, and I hope your situation improves.

Why not pay on tme?

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

First, please turn off the caps key.  It is considered rude on the Internet and it makes your post difficult to read.

I understand the need for a refrigerator, but you're the first person I'd ever heard of to claim that they "could not live" without a washer and dryer.  Every week I see dozens of folks at the laundromat that seem to somehow survive.   Oh what hardy souls they must be.

By the way, you acquired that washer and dryer in the most expensive way possible.  By the time they are yours, you will have paid about 3-4 times what they were worth new.   For someone on a tight budget, this strikes me as quite extravagent.

You're getting constantly pestered because your payments are habitually late.   You realize that the only customers that use these rent to own contracts are those whose credit is so bad that they can't get normal financing.   As such, the rental place is going to have a very low tolerance for people who won't pay on time.    In a nutshell, the rental place is your last resort and you're blowing it.     If they're going to the trouble of showing up at your house and asking for the stuff back, that means they've had it with you and your late payments.    This is what the bottom of the barrel looks like.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

"EVERYTIME I'M LATE THEY CHARGE ME A LATE FEE ISNT THAT PUNUISHMENT ENOUGH????"  That pretty much shows why you Rent to own...a VERY expensive way to purchase something.  The late fee is also assessed to hopefully, get payments made on time.

Sorry, but if you read your rental contract, you will find they have every right to do this.

"I'M A SINGLE STRUGGLING MOTHER..."

There is nothing in your contract that would cause them to consider this.

Truly sorry for your financial situation, but I don't know how anyone can really help you with this.  As a single mother, are you supposed to be getting child support and you're not.  Look into all your options before things get out of hand.