Complaint Review: Rent A Center

Bloomington, Indiana United States of America

Rent A Center RAC Harassment Bloomington, Indiana

*General Comment: Exactly

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Know the Law, or they will harass you

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: This is what customers are told!

*UPDATE Employee: Hi I work at RAC

*Author of original report: Absolutely Not

*Consumer Comment: You stole their Xbox

I rented a living room set, washer and dryer, and Xbox from rent a center in December. My payment was due around the 22nd each month.  I paid until March. My payment was due Sat. The 22nd. I was not able to pay and thought I would be able to before the 1st-but I couldn't.  They called references and apparently came to my home every day and left notes on the door, sometimes twice a day. I understand though, as they had not received my payment.

Well, Tues. April 2nd I called to make arrangements to pickup everything and they came that afternoon at 5. I wasn't able to return the Xbox and stated I would like to keep it and pay the remaining balance after deducting what I had already paid.

They told me that with my $380 a month payment, the total would $680 to pay off the account and that I needed to give them $25 before the end of business that day or they would be taking my account to court. I didn't have the money right then and accepted that they file a small claims suit against me and I would just have to pay it then, no problem.

The next two days they called 3 or more times a day and today, the 3rd day after threatening court they came to my house twice and called twice. Isn't this harassment? After they say that they are taking mw to court aren't they supposed to leave me alone? I shouldn't communicate with them or them with me in any other form than writing after legal action is threatened right? Isn't $300 additional for an Xbox a bit inflated? Won't they have to sue me for just the retail value and isn't that maybe why they're harassing me bow so they can get more money?

Any answers and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/05/2013 04:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rent-A-Center/Bloomington-Indiana-47403/Rent-A-Center-RAC-Harassment-Bloomington-Indiana-1041060. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rent A Center

#1 General Comment

Exactly

AUTHOR: John - ()

This is so ridiculous.  What kind of idiot is in such financial straits that they need to use Rent A Center, last resort for being with broken credit, and then rent a freaking X BOX?  You have no money, you have no credit, yet you rent a freaking TOY?

You need to stop whining and grow up.  Return the toy you can't afford, start saving money and get your act together.  Poor and Stupid is no way to go through life.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Know the Law, or they will harass you

AUTHOR: 100PercentTruth - ()

First of all. If you have told them not to call you at work, legally they can not. If they do, then get legal representation. There is many lawyers that will take these cases with no upfront costs. Secondly, send a certified letter to their corporate office telling them that you do not want to be contacted in any way and refer to federal law. You can google this and get the needed article. I doubt that you "stole" anything since RAC charges 4.5 times the worth of an item. My guess is that they have gotten their money and made profit. After so many days they will have to charge the item off. Ask them what is the remaining value of your x box and i will guarantee that they will not tell you.

If they try to enter your property, call the police and have them arrested. Calling corporate office will not do any good. If you look at the number of complaints from all over the country, they are all similar. Do you think the "brass" is not aware of these tactics? If it were a select few then that would be a few bad apples but it is not. Tell your references to tell them not to call their home or they will seek legal action. When you get a chance google lawsuits by employee. Discrimination, lunch breaks etc. If they treat their employees a certain way..how do you think they are going to treat you?

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

This is what customers are told!

AUTHOR: SinisterWings - ()

Hi, I worked as an account manager for RAC for just over two years.  This statement about that not being the RAC policy to recover merch that way is untrue.  This is what customers are told to keep them happy.  As an employee, your job depends on you doing WHATEVER it takes sometimes to recover merch.  This includes, going to peoples homes, jobs, references homes, and jobs, and sometimes just sitting outside these places until the person shows them-self.

If you do not hit your weekly goals of having less than 5.9 percent of your customers on your route past due, you can and will be written up.  After so many, you will be terminated.  The problem with this as an employee is that, you generally do NOT get a say in who is rented to (manager has final say), and the company is so strict about getting certain number or BOR (basically accounts on rent, and each item is an account) that they most of the time, HAVE to let questionable accounts be opened of face not meeting sales goals, and getting in trouble.  RAC is just as unfair to their employees as they are to their customers.  Sometimes worse.

Hi I work at RAC

AUTHOR: JanaReed - ()

Hi I work at Rent-A-Center and I regret to hear about your recent experience with one of our stores in Indiana. I can tell you that it is against our policy to attempt to collect merchandise by means of threat or undue pressure. Please give our Customer Care line a call at 1-800-422-8186 as soon as possible so they can get some additional information about the situation and work with you to get everything resolved. Thanks, and I hope this helps.

Absolutely Not

AUTHOR: SC - ()

I absolutely did not steal anything

I asked for the payoff amount and gave a date when I would be able to pay and that was rejected and court was stated as the only option the next business day. At this point I refuse to speak with them personally and let the issue be resolved in court as that was their solution

-not mine.

You stole their Xbox

AUTHOR: coast - ()

"I wasn't able to return the Xbox"

Why not?

"Isn't this harassment?"

No, it's a recovery attempt. You stole their Xbox.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC