Complaint Review: Rent-A-Center

• Updated: Mon, August 15, 2011

• Reported By: Sherry — Hope Mills North Carolina United States of America
Rent-A-Center
3434 Bragg Blvd Fayetteville, North Carolina United States of America

Rent-A-Center RAC I purchased a laptop and it needed a new battery. They gave me a defective battery that ultimately fried it. Fayetteville, North Carolina

I purchased a laptop and it needed a new battery after a few months.  They ordered several batteries before getting one that would even fit the laptop.  After using the new battery briefly, I noticed the computer was not working properly.  I called several times for help with this issue.  I got alot of "non-professional" things to try, nothing worked.  During this time, I completed my payment terms and paid the laptop off.  Within 4-6 weeks of paying it off, the computer started smoking from the battery terminal area.  I reported this to RAC and they sent it to their repair shop for a diagnosis.  It was determined by "their" shop that the motherboard was fried and not worth repairing.  I took it to an independent shop and it was determined that not only the motherboard, but the charging port was fried due to overheating caused by the battery.  I then reported these findings to RAC and basically told "too bad", you didn't take advantage of the benefits plan that would have covered this.  The plan that I was not told about at payoff.  I contacted the district manager, HollaceWashington, and left a voicemail, in hopes that he could intervene and offer some assistance.  I never received a call from him or any other representative from RAC.  I would like to see it become policy for them to offer the benefits plan at the time a customer is paying off the property.  This would have saved me the cost of a new laptop.  Very bad business, shame on you RAC!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/15/2011 09:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rent-A-Center/Fayetteville-North-Carolina-28303/Rent-A-Center-RAC-I-purchased-a-laptop-and-it-needed-a-new-battery-They-gave-me-a-defect-765311. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rent-A-Center